Not sold on square ground yet

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
9:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I heard Stihl square file is made by Pferd. But not positive on that. The little small triangle files.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Up for bid today we have some Stihl chisel bit files.....
don-t-bogart-that-joint-my-friend.jpg

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you can find these hens teeth, buy them all!
View attachment 151304
See this single cut 'Stihl logo' chisel file has the cutting teeth on a 45° angle to the file belly. The Vallorbe files I have from Stihl have their teeth cut at 90° from the belly. I 'think' I like the 90° cut better.

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just tried a brand new 28” loop of square ground Stihl RS on my ported ms390. I filed the rakers to about .027. The right side needed a lot more filing than the left. It looks/feels pretty sharp, but I can’t tell any difference between it and my own round ground chain as far as cutting speed. It took a bit of power to pull it compared to my round chain. The saw sounded like it was loaded pretty good, but it didn’t seem to cut any faster than it used to.
One of the biggest differnces, if square filed or ground properly, it grabs the corners far better in undercuts while facing a tree. Especially if you like Humbolts like me. I run full skip chisel skip for performance but much of the reason because I have far less teeth to file. But square wise if truly squared and rakers filed properly I haven't beat it for fast cutting, falling and speed. Everyone has their preference, stick with what you like and what works, especially what you are familiar filing.

Leeroy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Damn hope I don't get kicked off the island, but they were in that toolbox and rusted bad. If it helps I clearly remember these files feeling like you were trying to file a chain that was ground blue, and none of my chains had ever been ground. I also remember the Stihl dealer warning me that a few other square filers had not been happy with the files and they were gathering dust. I bought three with that warning, and those were the three I just found.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Damn hope I don't get kicked off the island, but they were in that toolbox and rusted bad. If it helps I clearly remember these files feeling like you were trying to file a chain that was ground blue, and none of my chains had ever been ground. I also remember the Stihl dealer warning me that a few other square filers had not been happy with the files and they were gathering dust. I bought three with that warning, and those were the three I just found.
Pics