Only the Tony

Hiding in the back of the class.
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
1:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It is a sign of calcium deficiency, which is also what is causing my tomatoes bottom end rot. While lime will adjust the pH, it does so slowly. I have been researching a liquid called agrigro super-cal, but am having a hard time finding application rates. I always take my time to thoroughly research stuff before I do it. I am looking for a long term solution, and it may be lime. Still doing research.

Adjusting the pH is great, but may not provide the calcium that I need.

We are gearing up to add a lot of lime. The lime we use comes from Albany Ky, and is 35% calcium.
Same problems in this area with the sage grass. Ag lime takes about 18 months to break down and be absorbed. I don't know of any place around here where you can get burnt/quick lime in any amounts. Quickest way to change the pH on soil, but harder to control because of the caustic properties of it. I probably need to drop about 5 tons/acre at parents and 4 ton on my place for a start. Nephew works for conservation department so maybe I can have him set up a prescribed burn late winter to help clean some of it up as well.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
1:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Same problems in this area with the sage grass. Ag lime takes about 18 months to break down and be absorbed. I don't know of any place around here where you can get burnt/quick lime in any amounts. Quickest way to change the pH on soil, but harder to control because of the caustic properties of it. I probably need to drop about 5 tons/acre at parents and 4 ton on my place for a start. Nephew works for conservation department so maybe I can have him set up a prescribed burn late winter to help clean some of it up as well.
I'm going to just bush hog all the fields down pretty tight, then pour the lime to it. Ag agent tells me to do 2 ton per acre this year, and 1 ton per for the next two years.

3browns

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
10:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Full vegetarian dinner today !!View attachment 431826

Vegan John, not vegetarian.

My bad. But you knew what i meant.

I’m a vagetarian

Just to help you fellers out, cause God forbid you identify as the wrong kind of vegan/vegetarian/vagetarian

Plus GFAV

Woodwackr

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
12:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
11:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To all the Californians watching this thread, you're welcome. I finally got a haircut which guarantees that fall temperatures, at least rain, and possibly even snow will occur by the end of this week. It was a major effort on my part, but I'm happy to take one for the team.

Lnk

Stock Chainsaws do not suck!
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
2:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow, not much drying time 🤨
Kind of gambling that the guessers are wrong. I have enough hay already put up for the year, any more I get will just end up being carryover. Not a big deal if I lose this bit I cut. So worth the gamble.