Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
2:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We've had so much rain and the water table is so high that our septic field isn't leaching properly and we need the tank pumped again.

That happens to me too when we get a couple days of rain. Backed up into bathtubs one time. That was a mess.
I figure you guys might never get away with it there......but when I installed my field lines, I ran the last section out in the woods till the gravel bed was flush with the ground. If it gets saturated, it can drain out there.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
3:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My deck is due for a finish too. That staining you been doing recently are you happy with the results? Is there really a good oil based product like Cuprinol used to be DJ? What have you been using and do you like it? Thx man, Sorry for the interrogation.
The stuff I used on the house is made by Sashco, it is very good but also very expensive. It’s a real oil base product that you need thinner for cleanup.
The stuff I’m using on the deck is just Behr from Home Depot. I stripped the deck but couldn’t get enough of the old finish off to feel confident that a real oil base product would stay on over top of it. So I spoke with the people that we bought the house from and went with what they used in a different color.
My buddy that I got the stripper from says that you have to get the PH right in the wood for stain to adhere properly. Oxalic acid is what he told me to use after cleaning the wood. Spray it on let it dry then rinse.
The original stain on the deck actually stayed on pretty good so I have high hopes.

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I figure you guys might never get away with it there......but when I installed my field lines, I ran the last section out in the woods till the gravel bed was flush with the ground. If it gets saturated, it can drain out there.

They are very strict with septic systems here. Have to have a permit for everything. What makes me mad is the county decides how your system will be installed, you have no say in it at all, then it doesn't drain right and you have to pay to get it fixed.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We've had so much rain and the water table is so high that our septic field isn't leaching properly and we need the tank pumped again.
We’ve had a similar deal. The gray water is running out of both ends of the sand mound. Can’t tell me those fukkin things are any better than a leach field. The old house has a 45 year old leach field and you’d never know it was there even in the wettest year.

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Septic Guy came and inspected the system, pump is dead $1700 to replace. I leave town in the morning and don't have time to shop around or supply the pump myself. (nor am I motivated to play in a tank of *s-word...)
In some more rural areas you can get away with that, we certainly can't. On our size of lot we aren't even allowed to have a field anymore, any new permit pulled would require removing the field and going to a second or larger holding only tank.

timg

Supporter of Cat Eating Komatsu Machinery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The stuff I used on the house is made by Sashco, it is very good but also very expensive. It’s a real oil base product that you need thinner for cleanup.
The stuff I’m using on the deck is just Behr from Home Depot. I stripped the deck but couldn’t get enough of the old finish off to feel confident that a real oil base product would stay on over top of it. So I spoke with the people that we bought the house from and went with what they used in a different color.
My buddy that I got the stripper from says that you have to get the PH right in the wood for stain to adhere properly. Oxalic acid is what he told me to use after cleaning the wood. Spray it on let it dry then rinse.
The original stain on the deck actually stayed on pretty good so I have high hopes.
Good info there, I made notes. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

It takes a real friend to supply the stripper.