Lnk

Stock Chainsaws do not suck!
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
12:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You are allowed to hunt with a bow in muzzleloader and gun seasons.
As they get hunted more, they are even more wary. I am more confident with the muzzleloader than the bow. Especially beyond 40 yds. I wont take a shot unless i am 100% certain of it. Will continue to practice, but bow season is over for me this year.

3browns

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
8:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We only got blackies here I assume you are in heavy grizzly area though the coyotes are a bit bigger here
We have both and plenty of them

Our old house that we sold our son was at the foot of Bear Mountain and it is very aptly named

Hardly a week went by without a blackie wandering through and becoming a nuisance and we saw the occasional brown/grizzly

As more and more houses get built up the mountainsides that make up the "Anchorage Bowl" the run ins with brown/grizzly bears gets more and more common

They have to put down several every year because they get habituated to life in the neighborhoods or they stake out an area on the hundreds of miles of recreation trails within the city and start chasing, biting, attacking runners, bikers, dog walkers, etc

I never go on trails anywhere without being armed

There is something that has been spooking this new puppy on our walks down the farm road next to the house so I started taking this along in addition to whatever my every day carry is

It started out life as a 6" .44 Rem mag Redhawk and I had Bowen Classic Arms bore it out to .45 Colt and convert it to their Alpine model

It goes with me everywhere off road if there is any chance of not being within grabbing distance of my Remington 870 tactical shotgun

335 gr WLFN hard cast gas checked bullet with a heavy dose of WW 296 and clocks 1,300 fps out of my chronograph

552CDA58-8C77-4636-AAD5-261FE398AD9C_1_201_a.jpeg

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
11:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As they get hunted more, they are even more wary. I am more confident with the muzzleloader than the bow. Especially beyond 40 yds. I wont take a shot unless i am 100% certain of it. Will continue to practice, but bow season is over for me this year.
I understand completely. I got a button buck one year at 65 yards with my crossbow. Would have been an impossible shot for me with a compound bow.

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
11:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I've bow hunted since I was 12.
40 yards is my max. I don't feel a bow can achieve an ethical kill much further than that.
I know many shoot larger game further than that. I don't.

maulhead

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
10:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Driving it up I was super cautious and got fuel when and where I could and a lot of that was just ease of getting in and out of smaller older stations

View attachment 393378

Driving down I was a little bit more easy going on stopping but we made several out of the way stops to stay with friends so I never let it get below about a third of a tank

Hawaii?

At the present I miss our house there and the incredible view we had but I don’t miss the politics and the small but very vocal group of people going out of their way to make anyone not “Hawaiian” feel very unwelcome, despite the fact we lived there part time for years prior
View attachment 393380

We called this our tree house

View attachment 393381
View attachment 393382
Part of it was CoVid and the fact that the “locals” got to see the islands without the crowds of tourists so the beaches weren’t crowded and the roads weren’t crowded and they really liked that

But at the same time they were getting CoVid money and the lack of tourists didn’t devastate their economy and financial well being

Fast forward to the fires in Lahaina Maui

The mayor of Maui County told tourists to stay away from the islands because the people affected by the fire needed all available resources

Tourists actually stayed away for the most part but within two weeks the economy was devastated and they were begging tourists to come back because so many residents had tourist related jobs and this time around there was no CoVid dollars to take up the slack

It’s a love hate relationship and I just got tired of the hate

My wife misses it more than I do and I love Alaska more than she does but all of our kids and grandkids are within an hour or two of us and our oldest son, who is in recovery and has horrible health really depends on us

I think we are where we need to be

Sorry for writing a novel

My younger brother had a diesel pusher very similar to that one, he bought it after his 8 year stint in the Navy, he took a few years off from working, and drove all around the USA living out of it, with his 19 year old mail order bride from Thailand.

He got it buried up to the frame on some witch doctors property where he was staying at for a few months in Florida, after a hurricane came through and saturated the ground, it got stuck when he tried driving it back to the pavement. IIRC the tow bill to get out of where it was stuck was close to 5 grand.

Last edited:

maulhead

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
10:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Speaking of Mennonites (kind of) one of my judges that retired shortly after I did was on a road trip a few years back and happened to go through western Tennessee and fell in love with the area. He ended up buying some acreage with an old cabin on the Buffalo River as his winter home although he is so fed up with the politics and court system in Alaska he is selling his place here. He texted me just last night and he has some Amish carpenters coming over to look at the feasibility of adding to the old cabin. I have no idea how old it is but it’s rustic to say the least.

I really enjoyed seeing the amazing craftsmanship of the Shakers and Amish and Mennonites when we lived in Kentucky and toured the surrounding states

A lot of the high end RV makers use them as cabinet makers for their luxury coaches

You were a judge? Or did I read that wrong?

3browns

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
8:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My younger brother had a diesel pusher very similar to that one, he bought it after his 8 year stint in the Navy, he took a few years off working, and drove all around the USA living out of it, with his 19 year old mail order bride from Thailand.

He got it buried up to the frame on some witch doctors property where he was staying at for a few months in Florida, after a hurricane came through and saturated the ground, it got stuck when he tried driving it back to the pavement. IIRC the tow bill to get out of where it was stuck was close to 5 grand.
I got to be honest, one of my biggest fears was a flat or something in the middle of nowhere and especially in Canada or the azz end of nowhere in Alaska

We had towing insurance but I can only imagine how long that might have taken in some places

When we were on our way back down through Canada in 2019 we were camped for the night near Watson Lake and about 6:00 pm the rain started turning to snow and I got what weather info I could and it wasn’t good

We ended up packing it in, fueling up and heading east to try and outrun the storm

I drove at about 25 mph through a whiteout on highway tires until I couldn’t see anything more than 50 feet down the road so we pulled over into a highway department service yard with other people who took shelter and fired up the big diesel generator and the Webasco diesel hydronic heater and tried to get some sleep

We headed out at daylight in about 5-6” of wet snow and just gutted it out for about a 12 hour drive

We ran into and out of snow the entire day and were dodging moose, caribou, stone sheep, and the bison herd that lived along that stretch of road

When we finally made it to Fort Nelson and our next campground I stepped out of the coach and my knees buckled as the adrenaline flushed through or something

I don’t ever remember being that mentally and physically exhausted