Not So Pro 3

JugHead27

I'd rather be called gay
Local time
3:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Could you make the trip with only one fill-up in Canada? Should have been able to do 700 miles per tank, unless you spend more than 1400 miles in Canada. Still, would not want that fuel bill.

Do you miss Hawaii? Alaska would be nice, if it didn't have all that winter.
Larry Larry… winter is what keeps the people out which is what is a big part of what makes Alaska great… if Tennessee was colder maybe you’d have less geeks and morons?

Lnk

Stock Chainsaws do not suck!
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
2:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Larry Larry… winter is what keeps the people out which is what is a big part of what makes Alaska great… if Tennessee was colder maybe you’d have less geeks and morons?
Having lived up North, where is gets cold and snows, I can say that people everywhere are the same, except I have found the South to be way more polite. There are things that drive me nuts, like a complete lack of urgency for anything, but it works in the South, I am the one with the problem. Rudeness is almost non existent. Everyone waves when you drive by. Plus, no snow to speak of. I had my fill of that stuff. Will never shovel it again.

JugHead27

I'd rather be called gay
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Having lived up North, where is gets cold and snows, I can say that people everywhere are the same, except I have found the South to be way more polite. There are things that drive me nuts, like a complete lack of urgency for anything, but it works in the South, I am the one with the problem. Rudeness is almost non existent. Everyone waves when you drive by. Plus, no snow to speak of. I had my fill of that stuff. Will never shovel it again.
Oh yeah per capita people are the same just overall LESS lol

Where did you live before up north

Lnk

Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh yeah per capita people are the same just overall LESS lol

Where did you live before up north
I lived in MA, Southeast between Providence RI and Cape cod. Snowed all the damn time. Usually ran out of room to put it by the end of winter. Then if we had a quick thaw or a warm rain before the ground thawed, we got to pump out our basements. Good times. Neighbors were friendly, but everyone is too busy. I don't miss it.

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

JugHead27

I'd rather be called gay
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I lived in MA, Southeast between Providence RI and Cape cod. Snowed all the damn time. Usually ran out of room to put it by the end of winter. Then if we had a quick thaw or a warm rain before the ground thawed, we got to pump out our basements. Good times. Neighbors were friendly, but everyone is too busy. I don't miss it.
Tons of people here have ties from the American revolution and family loyalists coming from cape cod nantucket area

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
1:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My hay has many weeds in it, therefore seeds. It would be an endless battle. Wheat straw would be great, but no glyphosphate free source. Everyone is spray happy around here, so I don't get external inputs, I know, I am just particular about chemicals.
Nehemiah tells me that it doesn't matter what seeds are in the hay. The trick is to layer it on thick.

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Any luck yet this year Ed?

Nope. This is my 4th time out. The 2 this morning were the first I've seen.
Cameras showing most movement in the morning or midnight right now.
This week will be the last 5 day week I work until the end of November, as I take time off for hunting. Something should show up at some point. I hope.

3browns

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
10:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My Mennonite friend uses a thick layer of hay between the rows, and around the plants. Chokes the weeds and grass out.
Speaking of Mennonites (kind of) one of my judges that retired shortly after I did was on a road trip a few years back and happened to go through western Tennessee and fell in love with the area. He ended up buying some acreage with an old cabin on the Buffalo River as his winter home although he is so fed up with the politics and court system in Alaska he is selling his place here. He texted me just last night and he has some Amish carpenters coming over to look at the feasibility of adding to the old cabin. I have no idea how old it is but it’s rustic to say the least.

I really enjoyed seeing the amazing craftsmanship of the Shakers and Amish and Mennonites when we lived in Kentucky and toured the surrounding states

A lot of the high end RV makers use them as cabinet makers for their luxury coaches

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Speaking of Mennonites (kind of) one of my judges that retired shortly after I did was on a road trip a few years back and happened to go through western Tennessee and fell in love with the area. He ended up buying some acreage with an old cabin on the Buffalo River as his winter home although he is so fed up with the politics and court system in Alaska he is selling his place here. He texted me just last night and he has some Amish carpenters coming over to look at the feasibility of adding to the old cabin. I have no idea how old it is but it’s rustic to say the least.

I really enjoyed seeing the amazing craftsmanship of the Shakers and Amish and Mennonites when we lived in Kentucky and toured the surrounding states

A lot of the high end RV makers use them as cabinet makers for their luxury coaches
Nehemiah owns a cabinet shop.....and does very high end work. He is also the pastor at the local Mennonite church. I got to know him and his bunch when I stopped to ask about the grown up field next to his shop. That was several years ago.....and I've cut it twice a year since.

Lnk

Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nope. This is my 4th time out. The 2 this morning were the first I've seen.
Cameras showing most movement in the morning or midnight right now.
This week will be the last 5 day week I work until the end of November, as I take time off for hunting. Something should show up at some point. I hope.
I may take time off work to hunt too. We are in muzzleloader season now, started yesterday. I am on call so no hunting this weekend. Just emptied the camera yesterday and some bucks are hitting my spot in the morning now. So I may just get one soon. Really wanted to get one with the bow, as I never have before. Maybe next year.

3browns

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
10:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Could you make the trip with only one fill-up in Canada? Should have been able to do 700 miles per tank, unless you spend more than 1400 miles in Canada. Still, would not want that fuel bill.

Do you miss Hawaii? Alaska would be nice, if it didn't have all that winter.
Driving it up I was super cautious and got fuel when and where I could and a lot of that was just ease of getting in and out of smaller older stations

IMG_4642.jpeg

Driving down I was a little bit more easy going on stopping but we made several out of the way stops to stay with friends so I never let it get below about a third of a tank

Hawaii?

At the present I miss our house there and the incredible view we had but I don’t miss the politics and the small but very vocal group of people going out of their way to make anyone not “Hawaiian” feel very unwelcome, despite the fact we lived there part time for years prior
IMG_0851.jpeg

We called this our tree house

IMG_0753.jpeg
IMG_0742.jpeg
Part of it was CoVid and the fact that the “locals” got to see the islands without the crowds of tourists so the beaches weren’t crowded and the roads weren’t crowded and they really liked that

But at the same time they were getting CoVid money and the lack of tourists didn’t devastate their economy and financial well being

Fast forward to the fires in Lahaina Maui

The mayor of Maui County told tourists to stay away from the islands because the people affected by the fire needed all available resources

Tourists actually stayed away for the most part but within two weeks the economy was devastated and they were begging tourists to come back because so many residents had tourist related jobs and this time around there was no CoVid dollars to take up the slack

It’s a love hate relationship and I just got tired of the hate

My wife misses it more than I do and I love Alaska more than she does but all of our kids and grandkids are within an hour or two of us and our oldest son, who is in recovery and has horrible health really depends on us

I think we are where we need to be

Sorry for writing a novel

Attachments

• IMG_1337.jpeg
    IMG_1337.jpeg
    170.4 KB · Views: 2

Lnk

Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Driving it up I was super cautious and got fuel when and where I could and a lot of that was just ease of getting in and out of smaller older stations

View attachment 393378

Driving down I was a little bit more easy going on stopping but we made several out of the way stops to stay with friends so I never let it get below about a third of a tank

Hawaii?

At the present I miss our house there and the incredible view we had but I don’t miss the politics and the small but very vocal group of people going out of their way to make anyone not “Hawaiian” feel very unwelcome, despite the fact we lived there part time for years prior
View attachment 393380

We called this our tree house

View attachment 393381
View attachment 393382
Part of it was CoVid and the fact that the “locals” got to see the islands without the crowds of tourists so the beaches weren’t crowded and the roads weren’t crowded and they really liked that

But at the same time they were getting CoVid money and the lack of tourists didn’t devastate their economy and financial well being

Fast forward to the fires in Lahaina Maui

The mayor of Maui County told tourists to stay away from the islands because the people affected by the fire needed all available resources

Tourists actually stayed away for the most part but within two weeks the economy was devastated and they were begging tourists to come back because so many residents had tourist related jobs and this time around there was no CoVid dollars to take up the slack

It’s a love hate relationship and I just got tired of the hate

My wife misses it more than I do and I love Alaska more than she does but all of our kids and grandkids are within an hour or two of us and our oldest son, who is in recovery and has horrible health really depends on us

I think we are where we need to be

Sorry for writing a novel
Awesome story, glad you shared it. I get the love/hate thing too. I don't have it here. Also where I am supposed to be now.