Mastermind Approved!
Local time
12:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You need to get checked lol
Checked for what?
Speaking of Mennonites (kind of) one of my judges that retired shortly after I did was on a road trip a few years back and happened to go through western Tennessee and fell in love with the area. He ended up buying some acreage with an old cabin on the Buffalo River as his winter home although he is so fed up with the politics and court system in Alaska he is selling his place here. He texted me just last night and he has some Amish carpenters coming over to look at the feasibility of adding to the old cabin. I have no idea how old it is but it’s rustic to say the least.

I really enjoyed seeing the amazing craftsmanship of the Shakers and Amish and Mennonites when we lived in Kentucky and toured the surrounding states

A lot of the high end RV makers use them as cabinet makers for their luxury coaches
Pictures of the old cabins
So you’ve been to West Virginia before then ?
Driving it up I was super cautious and got fuel when and where I could and a lot of that was just ease of getting in and out of smaller older stations

View attachment 393378

Driving down I was a little bit more easy going on stopping but we made several out of the way stops to stay with friends so I never let it get below about a third of a tank

Hawaii?

At the present I miss our house there and the incredible view we had but I don’t miss the politics and the small but very vocal group of people going out of their way to make anyone not “Hawaiian” feel very unwelcome, despite the fact we lived there part time for years prior
View attachment 393380

We called this our tree house

View attachment 393381
View attachment 393382
Part of it was CoVid and the fact that the “locals” got to see the islands without the crowds of tourists so the beaches weren’t crowded and the roads weren’t crowded and they really liked that

But at the same time they were getting CoVid money and the lack of tourists didn’t devastate their economy and financial well being

Fast forward to the fires in Lahaina Maui

The mayor of Maui County told tourists to stay away from the islands because the people affected by the fire needed all available resources

Tourists actually stayed away for the most part but within two weeks the economy was devastated and they were begging tourists to come back because so many residents had tourist related jobs and this time around there was no CoVid dollars to take up the slack

It’s a love hate relationship and I just got tired of the hate

My wife misses it more than I do and I love Alaska more than she does but all of our kids and grandkids are within an hour or two of us and our oldest son, who is in recovery and has horrible health really depends on us

I think we are where we need to be

Sorry for writing a novel
Alaska looks better than Hawaii

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
11:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I may take time off work to hunt too. We are in muzzleloader season now, started yesterday. I am on call so no hunting this weekend. Just emptied the camera yesterday and some bucks are hitting my spot in the morning now. So I may just get one soon. Really wanted to get one with the bow, as I never have before. Maybe next year.
You are allowed to hunt with a bow in muzzleloader and gun seasons.

3browns

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
8:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pictures of the old cabins
So you’ve been to West Virginia before then ?

Alaska looks better than Hawaii
I will send pics of the cabin as he sends them to me

Yup, been to WV a number of times, mostly going back and forth to Norfolk, Colonial Williamsburg, Virginia beach, etc but been to Parkersburg on purpose and just general back road driving around to see the beauty

WV is a gorgeous place

I hated the lack of seasons in Hawaii

I hated the fact that if I had taken ANY firearms there and failed to register it with the local police department I would have been guilty of a felony

I hated the fact that to get people off their backs, Hawaii instituted a concealed carry program; HOWEVER, the local head of law enforcement had the final say on an application and in the history of the program not one single permit was ever issued to John Q Public, but Oprah's bodyguards all got permits

3/4 of the weapons in my gun safe and probably 90% of the magazines I own are illegal there so they stayed in Alaska in my old safe in the house we sold to our son

The violent crime rate on Oahu and in the larger cities on the other islands is pretty bad and I hated feeling next to helpless

There is no more beautiful place on earth than Alaska in my opinion

full chizel

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Yup, been to WV a number of times, mostly going back and forth to Norfolk, Colonial Williamsburg, Virginia beach, etc but been to Parkersburg on purpose and just general back road driving around to see the beauty

WV is a gorgeous place

I hated the fact that if I had taken ANY firearms there and failed to register it with the local police department I would have been guilty of a felony

I hated the fact that to get people off their backs, Hawaii instituted a concealed carry program; HOWEVER, the local head of law enforcement had the final say on an application and in the history of the program not one single permit was ever issued to John Q Public, but Oprah's bodyguards all got permits

3/4 of the weapons in my gun safe and probably 90% of the magazines I own are illegal there so they stayed in Alaska in my old safe in the house we sold to our son

The violent crime rate on Oahu and in the larger cities on the other islands is pretty bad and I hated feeling next to helpless

British Columbia is nice too. Never been to Alaska….maybe one day.

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think this lil guy is looking for your nuts and failing.

View attachment 393385
someone was complaining yesterday their chin was sore lol

WV is a gorgeous place

parkersburg is about 2 hours west of me along rt 50

id still prefer alaska over hawaii lol