Country flag

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
4:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
7x64 is a great caliber, about like our 280 Remington. I had a Steyr in 280 caliber until it was stolen. Very well made and accurate as I recall. Sold off a bunch of rifles a number of years back when I was ailing after surgery. Had another Steyr in .376 Steyr caliber I bought after too many close calls with brown bears in Alaska, eventually I gave that one away to a young couple that just married that bear hunted. Gave and sold a pile of 'em that could shoot anything from a mouse to an Elephant and everything in between. One that I kept was my Mauser 96 American straight pull bolt action in 270 Winchester, it's a dream deer killin' machine I tell ya.
I probably have not had as many weapons as you have or have had, Steve
280 is probably the closest caliber to the 7x64 Brenneke, at least there is not much difference in the amount of gunpowder between them.
It is in my opinion a very underrated caliber, and should have been used much much more here in Norway.

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
4:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nowadays I try to spend all the good days with Øsa, I paint a little indoors, sometimes my wife and I work together.

Later we will chop wood, my friend has started to struggle with health, it will be good for both of us to chop together as we did before.

I have to sit down one of these days and order some American wire for vaping.
Maybe one of you could pick up for me so I can get away with one shipping instead of 4 across the pond

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
9:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I probably have not had as many weapons as you have or have had, Steve
280 is probably the closest caliber to the 7x64 Brenneke, at least there is not much difference in the amount of gunpowder between them.
It is in my opinion a very underrated caliber, and should have been used much much more here in Norway.

280 is under rated here as well, has a taller shoulder than its parent case the 30/06, but is under loaded for use in auto loading rifles of that time period. Then came the name game, was called the 7mm Remington express and was confused with the 7mm Remington Magnum. Hand loaded however the 280 Remington is an absolute excellent performer in a bolt action rifle and if that rifle has a 24 inch long barrel will come real close to 7mm Magnum performance. Basically it is Americas version of the 7x64 that didn't take off here, had a bit of a following in Canada, I think that was due to the marketers of that time.

The one rifle I could never get was an older Steyr in 6.5 Mannlicher Schoenaur. It doesn't get much better than that.