ErnieG

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
2:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There is a plain 275 picket fence style globe and then the very rare fluted style picket style globe .
That one pictured is the fluted style .

Ernie

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
1:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There is a plain 275 picket fence style globe and then the very rare fluted style picket style globe .
That one pictured is the fluted style .

Ernie

I didn't even notice that fluted globe. Wow! That is a looker for sure.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice score! Did it eventually burn clean?

I didn't get a chance to let it really burn. Just messed around to see if I could get it to even prime. Only hit it with a lighter for chits and grins. I can't believe it lit right up. I'm guessing the fuel is from the same time as the stove. So not sure if it will burn clean without getting some fresh. But all in all I'm very happy.

I didn't ask what it sold for. But I missed the lantern they had. Probably for the best, they bring a big buck locally. Everyone around here thinks that anything old is a collectable antique. Not going to compete with them. I'll come up with a reasonable lantern or two eventually. Not in a rush by any means.

Steven

Stevetheboatguy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice score! Did it eventually burn clean? Look for a nice 288. They are late models and are everywhere. Most can be bought almost new for 20 bucks.
My wife took the girls out for the day. While my oldest son was helping me beat my no start 390 into submission. I lit the stove and let it burn. Seems to be A-ok 👌👍👍

0304231153a.jpg

Steven

ErnieG

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, I did that to a 288 I had with bad paint on the fount. Sandblasted it and painted it blue. I really want an original. The hunt is the fun part!
I'm to the point in my collecting that I enjoy the hunt more then the actual lantern ...never know what's around the next corner !
Flea markets are one of my favorite place to find my GPA's .

Ernie

Stevetheboatguy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Question for the experts. On these GPA stoves and lanterns. I've been reading the pros and cons of different fuels. But haven't found any info on using a canned gas like vp, true fuel or aspen. (Straight not premix)

Anyone ever try it? Curious if it's a viable option. Would mean one less type of fuel to have on hand.

Steven

Reactions: Lnk

ErnieG

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Question for the experts. On these GPA stoves and lanterns. I've been reading the pros and cons of different fuels. But haven't found any info on using a canned gas like vp, true fuel or aspen. (Straight not premix)

Anyone ever try it? Curious if it's a viable option. Would mean one less type of fuel to have on hand.

Steven
You can use those fuels but with all the extra additives in those fuels compared to the clear fuel like Coleman or Crown they will block the generator up faster with carbon build up .
I've heard that the ethanol free gas burns cleaner because of no ethanol but I haven't tried it ...I use only clear fuel or kerosene.
There is another type of fuel that everyone calls Amish mix 50/50 kerosene and clear fuel which burns very well .

Ernie

farminkarman

I like the red & black ones
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can use those fuels but with all the extra additives in those fuels compared to the clear fuel like Coleman or Crown they will block the generator up faster with carbon build up .
I've heard that the ethanol free gas burns cleaner because of no ethanol but I haven't tried it ...I use only clear fuel or kerosene.
There is another type of fuel that everyone calls Amish mix 50/50 kerosene and clear fuel which burns very well .

Ernie
FYI, the Amish mix is a kero lantern thing. Even at 50/50, the lantern is gonna turn into a fireball without pre-heating the generator.

Gullet

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's pretty decent for a big hat. As long as the fount is clean inside.
What is the "fount" Steve?

Edit: The tank...
It said on tag it was a '56.
Would have been about $67 after taxes.

Last edited:

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What is the "fount" Steve?

Edit: The tank...
It said on tag it was a '56.
Would have been about $67 after taxes.

Yes, fancy name for the tank. 67 still isn't bad. I bet after shipping on ebay you would end up paying around 125 for it. All Coleman lanterns have the manufacture date stamped to the bottom of the tank. Some stoves have it stamped in the bottom and some don't. All of the stove tanks have a date under the mounting tabs so if the tank is original to the stove you can date the stove.

farminkarman

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Steven
I haven't tried running the canned gasoline in anything, but I have run a ton of unleaded gasoline in a couple lanterns that were not markteted as "dual fuel".

Stevetheboatguy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I haven't tried running the canned gasoline in anything, but I have run a ton of unleaded gasoline in a couple lanterns that were not markteted as "dual fuel".

That's good to know. I won't be using the stove or lantern (when I come across eventually) often. Just figured I'd ask if anyone had tried the canned small engine fuels. I keep a few cans on hand and could easily start buying stright instead of 40:1. And mix in my own oil if I need it for a engine or run it straight in the stove or lantern.

Thought maybe it wouldn't have the same build-up issues people say happens with unleaded. Not a biggie right now. Knowledge is power though.

Steven

ErnieG

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
FYI, the Amish mix is a kero lantern thing. Even at 50/50, the lantern is gonna turn into a fireball without pre-heating the generator.
I usually always preheat the generator regardless of the fuel type ....it's a less dramatic start !

Ernie

farminkarman

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's good to know. I won't be using the stove or lantern (when I come across eventually) often. Just figured I'd ask if anyone had tried the canned small engine fuels. I keep a few cans on hand and could easily start buying stright instead of 40:1. And mix in my own oil if I need it for a engine or run it straight in the stove or lantern.

Thought maybe it wouldn't have the same build-up issues people say happens with unleaded. Not a biggie right now. Knowledge is power though.

Steven
In a pinch, a Coleman quick-lite lantern can handle burning most volatile fuels. If you have a kerosene version, you can burn gasoline, paint thinner, kerosene...even #2 diesel if you are really in a pinch.