New chain ( to me)

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That chain should do well in fresh softer wood. Might be a different story in dry hard stuff.

It actually cut quite well in dead white ash. The piece as about 18" dia. We had a few races and it really ripped through that stuff. I was running it on a 1969 vintage reed valve saw so lots of torque.
I can't say that it would stay sharp for long.
Worth the smile it puts on your face though.

Not much science in my filing. Quite a bit of luck.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
3:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I certainly find that the further back the cutter is filed, the faster the chain cuts.
The chain looks a bit of a joke but it rips!

View attachment 317315

pics of one of the cutters.

View attachment 317314
The chain gets considerably narrower as the teeth get filed/ground back resulting in less cutting resistance and increased "in cut" chain speed.

That is what I like my chains teeth to look like, nice big "C".

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah I went a little bit too angled on a homelite 38 chain and it made that semi chisel a bit grabby.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That instruction sheet from the historical society? That document is from before US postal addresses had Zip codes! :)

In fairness, some STIHL instructions also used to say 10%.

I think that some of the recommended angles have changed over the years due to research, preferences, changes in the saws and chains (e.g. smaller chains and faster speeds), etc.

Philbert

Recommendations have varied quite a bit over the years but alot of us kind of get a feel for what works best for our environment after alot of trigger/handle time which is really the point with sharpening videos, one is never the "gospel" but all offer some useful information.
I remember watching a video where BBR had to explain to his subscribers that if they didn't file the top plate underside that the chain wouldn't cut worth a lick! Although that seems elementary to most, the parrot heads who go around screaming "get the gullet" couldn't figure out why they weren't flying through the wood after plowing down through the gullet?!
A complete comprehensive knowledge of sharpening is a better way to go about getting the best results.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
8:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What ever people find that works for them.

A complete comprehensive knowledge of sharpening is a better way to go about getting the best results.

Yes. Lots of ways to sharpen, and folks need to find what works for them. And I consider the manufacturers’ recommendations as good starting points. But unless people know what they are trying to achieve: what a finished, sharpened cutter looks like, they will never know when they are there.

Philbert

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
An interesting note.

At the last GTG I was at I asked if the host if he could put up a round to tune in, I was about 14" and I'm guessing spruce.

I timed the cuts with a stop watch which isn't the best way to do it but it gives a rough idea. Every saw, old and new designs, went trough that within 1/2 second time wise. The wood was solid.

Go figure.