Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
6:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Factory grinder had the fits, ground a s#iTload of chains during the night shift and Husqvarna decided they'll sell it as something special just to poke at Stihl ? :confused:

Or is it a custom grind, not a factory one? o_O
Almost looks like a badly set up X-Cut grind with that tiny diameter "C" right under the top plate.

I really like the good old round file "C" shaped gullet.
I've been filing and grinding for two days now as all my saws wore dull and rocked chains, it is time consuming.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah I got a 25' roll of .404 like that ,lots of filing!
Yesterday I "fixed" a custom ground Carlton A2 full chisel loop with ugly gullets.
I took a straight shaft grinder with a cutoff wheel and hogged out the gullets way down to the drive links, then followed up with a cylindrical grinding stone small enough to not touch the cutters top plate but big enough to further hog the gullets out and leave a "C" shape.
Finishing the sharpening process with a couple round file strokes and an Archer FastFiler roller guide was a breeze as the file touched only the cutters top edge and part of the side plate upper section.

I need to remember to do it this way in the future instead of ruining a round file hogging out ugly gullets!

BTW, the above mentioned chain and its grind weren't my handywork, the loop came with a saw purchase.

BlacknTan

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Yesterday I "fixed" a custom ground Carlton A2 full chisel loop with ugly gullets.
I took a straight shaft grinder with a cutoff wheel and hogged out the gullets way down to the drive links, then followed up with a cylindrical grinding stone small enough to not touch the cutters top plate but big enough to further hog the gullets out and leave a "C" shape.
Finishing the sharpening process with a couple round file strokes and an Archer FastFiler roller guide was a breeze as the file touched only the cutters top edge and part of the side plate upper section.

I need to remember to do it this way in the future instead of ruining a round file hogging out ugly gullets!

BTW, the above mentioned chain and its grind weren't my handywork, the loop came with a saw purchase.

Wish I could still get that Carlton A2. I liked it!

Motorka

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
too small file ?

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wish I could still get that Carlton A2. I liked it!
Is it considered NLA? o_O
The guy I bought the saw from said he purchased the B&C this year, bar being a Ozaki Forest and chain Carlton A2.
Maybe it is old stock?!

I run Carlton A2LM on my 36" B&C setup, it has been a good chain for me. :)

BlacknTan

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Is it considered NLA? o_O
The guy I bought the saw from said he purchased the B&C this year, bar being a Ozaki Forest and chain Carlton A2.
Maybe it is old stock?!

I run Carlton A2LM on my 36" B&C setup, it has been a good chain for me. :)

The only place I can find A2 is old stock on e-bay... and not as cheap as I feel it should be, or I'd stock up.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
61Omy8bYESL._AC_SL1050_.jpg

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
11:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
‘Somebody’ needs a conventional chain grinder for the holidays!

Philbert

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like the oregon 59L .404 I just got. Will be interesting to try in different woods and with and without gullet work.

those depth gauges are interesting - thoughts?

I've run it a couple times without touching it, in soft wood I dont think I'd notice much but in hard wood it definitely feels like the gullets are fighting a good self feeding chain.

Maintenance Chief

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I don't mind filing it to where I like it to much, but I've got a few 109 and bigger chains to do and its time consuming. I should be working on my work chains!
Haha ,I've just been rotating out B/C combos! At this rate I'll be using the rare .404 .050 Chipper chain if I don't get to it.

Maintenance Chief

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is .404 .050 chisel "square" with out touching the gullet, it just struggles more than it should.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't mind filing it to where I like it to much, but I've got a few 109 and bigger chains to do and its time consuming. I should be working on my work chains!
Haha ,I've just been rotating out B/C combos! At this rate I'll be using the rare .404 .050 Chipper chain if I don't get to it.
I swap complete chainsaws when my chain gets dull.
Did that too often and realized last week that about a dozen of my chainsaws all have dull chains.
I have been filling my chains on and off these past couple days - a new sharp file is such a treat!!!