New 10mm 044AV

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
With a little work I think I can replace the 044's rubber mounts with spring mounts with no problems.

Osage Eric

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
4:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Hey Willard,
I'll pay and beta test a set of spings for an 044 if you need some test subjects, always wanted to try to have a spring conversion but between all the kids and work (and lack of skills and tools) never did start to. Didn't the 288xp have interchangable or were they just a mix of spring and rubber?

Same goes for a book about the Stihl '66', going from 064 to 066 660 and 661 with the history of development and changes and even IPL in the index and lots of pics, some experienced cutters here have a lot of knowledge that i think would be great to capture for the next generations.

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't know about the 288XP but I remember in 1989 when the 044 was celebrating its first summer, Jonsereds and Husqvarna were already pushing the spring mounts and air injection.
But 3 years later the 272XP was their answer for the 044 and no spring mounts on the 272. The 262XP was reserved for that along with air injection (Turbo for the Jonsereds)

Yeah aftermarket spring mounts for the 044 and others from that era would be a great business venture.
But the Chinese would only undermine it and sell them for pennies. All that research and development just for them to steal :cursing:

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And do a real bad job at copying it.
Putting out a junky product.
Unfortunately I think that's about to change.
Same way we thought decades ago first about Japan and then Taiwan. Now we have Korea.
The carbon fiber I could only buy out of China is a top grade product. Their titanium fasteners are hit and miss though.