Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
9:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So to actual 357/9 stuff....
I was incorrect in saying there are two versions of case. There are three in my possession, but that only came to light when I split the box of five cases yesterday.
Between the early and later (V2), I discovered today some V1 labelled cases on '04 and '05 dated saws.
More ribs and gussets as each version was cast according to my eye.
In the pics below, V2 at top, V1 middle and original bottom. My pick is pointing to the added material around top cover locator and brake handle. You'll have to roll back and forth, I don't have the technological skills to create a close up of three items in one picture sorry.

What's it all mean? Get later cases if possible if you are re-casing, they're cast stronger. The V1 has the bar stud reinforcement that original does not, so are better, V2 adds a bit more again.

IMG_20220524_140009.jpg IMG_20220524_140214.jpg IMG_20220524_140200.jpg

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
5:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So to actual 357/9 stuff....
I was incorrect in saying there are two versions of case. There are three in my possession, but that only came to light when I split the box of five cases yesterday.
Between the early and later (V2), I discovered today some V1 labelled cases on '04 and '05 dated saws.
More ribs and gussets as each version was cast according to my eye.
In the pics below, V2 at top, V1 middle and original bottom. My pick is pointing to the added material around top cover locator and brake handle. You'll have to roll back and forth, I don't have the technological skills to create a close up of three items in one picture sorry.

What's it all mean? Get later cases if possible if you are re-casing, they're cast stronger. The V1 has the bar stud reinforcement that original does not, so are better, V2 adds a bit more again.

View attachment 337760 View attachment 337761 View attachment 337762
+ Dibz on the used plumber’s tape

Chainmale

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If all this case info has you all flustered, there is an easy way to check which cases your saw has, as I discovered on my 03.
If a part no. can be seen under the bar pad cover on the PTO side as indicated, then you have V2 cases. Worry no more. (Unless you too have a great big blobby weld for an AV mount...).
Something regarding this is referenced in the ipls, but not in a way I could understand.
View attachment 326698 View attachment 326699
Got given a 357xp last week, scored cylinder and missing parts. Was just about to order everything and read this!
Made me jump out of my chair and go check..... Whew a, lovely set of numbers staring back at me.
Don't suppose you're parting with any bits from your collection?

Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got given a 357xp last week, scored cylinder and missing parts. Was just about to order everything and read this!
Made me jump out of my chair and go check..... Whew a, lovely set of numbers staring back at me.
Don't suppose you're parting with any bits from your collection?
The "Gravity" saw has a usable cylinder. I finger emery sanded the transfer off and its done a few hours since. Is missing a few cooling fin parts tho, but the cylinder will be "spare" at some point. Don't really have any other bits because i bought complete, damaged saws, and all three are going back in to service in some way eventually bro.

Chainmale

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The "Gravity" saw has a usable cylinder. I finger emery sanded the transfer off and its done a few hours since. Is missing a few cooling fin parts tho, but the cylinder will be "spare" at some point. Don't really have any other bits because i bought complete, damaged saws, and all three are going back in to service in some way eventually bro.
Fair enough, I may be able to save the cylinder. Whoever gave it to the person I got it from started stripping it down so it's missing clutch cover, muffler + bolts and bracket, top cover, and a very confusing at first throttle linkage. Plus needs a piston. Can get most of it from chainswr in the states other than top cover, clutch cover, and muffler bolts and bracket. For just under $200 delivered, including new genuine piston and gaskets filter and hose. So just waiting on Mr sky blue on trade me to reply with a cost for the rest to see if it's worth going ahead with.

Chainmale

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What may be some useful information for anyone in NZ.
I got a piston for one of my 380s from Chainswr. Freight was $25 and was here in just under 3 weeks.

Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bit of an update.
I ended up putting an '08 crank and piston in the oldest saw, replacing the NLA narrow rod versions as per Huskys service bulletin. Used OEM seals, AM case gasket and NSK bearings. Standard stuff.
The OCD in me wanted to update the cases, but I also reasoned that it had survived this long, so the cases aren't really a problem. Perhaps because this saw has worn a 16" bar recently, and so there's less leverage on the case bolts. I dunno.
Anyway, it's a runner again, and the next person to open it up will be able to get a piston now.
IMG_20220717_145520.jpg

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
10:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I guessing that strap-on is holding the cover on.

but I can’t fathom out the other thing ? Is it a saddle or a hand cover ;)

Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag