Ms880

qurotro

Cookie Cutter
Local time
6:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can't say the fine dust has no negative effect on longevity. But from what I know most of the Stihl's back before 00's came with steel mesh. And they are still running good. HDs are luxury stuff.

ferris

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can't say the fine dust has no negative effect on longevity. But from what I know most of the Stihl's back before 00's came with steel mesh. And they are still running good. HDs are luxury stuff.
That is what I was thinking.
And these saws run fine.
But to much fines can’t be good in a long term

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't think anyone is suggesting its great for saws to ingest wood dust and filters are an optional accessory, Rogue is just sharing thoughts based on experience, his saw do look like they kinda get used....a bit. The amount of threads I've seen where a new saw owner discovers some wood fines in his intake and thinks the sky is falling.

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Exactly you hear sawdust fines blamed for pretty much everything was hoping someone could just shed some light on the how and why sawdust fines do damage to a saw engine?. Like it's abrasive and turns into a paste and grinds piston skirts away? something like that anything really.
As I've said myself I have seen no evidence sawdust fines are even abrasive all my saw's live on sawdust fines with zero bad side effects nothing?.
I can't even get a ms170 that's lived on sawdust fines for years and years to show any sign of sawdust ingested damages (I've been in it for a look before).
As has been said not saying to throw airfilters away.
Thought it would be an interesting discussion and put a high hr saw (have plenty) up that's ingested plenty of sawdust with zero damage to engine internals.

Here's one of my ms170's I don't know how to stop fines getting in cutting Aussie hardwoods (it makes dust no matter how good you think you are at sharpening chain) not that I even try stopping 100% of sawdust fines knowing it's not hurting anything but as said all IMHO plenty disagree thats ok am just talking my experiences on the matter.
20200209_134917.jpg 20200209_135308.jpg

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi Bud, hope your ok and have not been troubled with the wild fires !!!
This is not a .."Proof Positive".. for fines killing a motor , just what I sorted out on a Dolmar Ps-9010 saw used for milling.
The saw was running ok and then went out in the cut.
This was the state of the bottom end and the piston when i opened it up.

View attachment 222767 View attachment 222768

The crud in the bottom end was a mix of very dry fines and aluminium from the piston .
What I found was that the air filter mount had been put on upside down and then the filter put in place.
This gave a gap open to the carb to pull unfiltered air direct into the intake as well as through the filter.
It can't have helped the saw when milling having that amount of fines getting into the crankcase as they ....seemed...to stick to the oil layer in the bottom end acting like a sponge causing less oil out of the mix to lube things enough.
I pressure and vac tested the saw ....checked the mix was not old and found the settings on the carb to be standard....all checked out ok.
Im "not" saying the fines were the "only" cause of the front end piston damage but may not have helped in a case where more of the fines get in than a working filter could let though.
Don't know how to diagnose that saw it's a mess one thing is for sure for whatever reason it had little to no oil boundary layer to stop metal to metal contact and started smearing piston up and down the bore.

And yeah all good around me with fires only had one big fire come to about 1k to my place at the start of all these fires thank *f-word the water bombers got on top of it was heading my way at a rapid rate.
Things are better at this min as a lot of AU has had some half decent rain but don't think all the fires are out not down south anway.

Last edited:

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cleanest filter pic I have lol
Routine for me would be tap filter out after every tank or two if I push it.
f.JPG

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok the pics everyone has been waiting for! lol
This is the ms880 as I pulled the jug off the good the bad and the ugly! sorry I can't deliver any bad or ugly lol
It all looks good in there to me?
Not started or run this saw for over a year.

Intake side of piston
20200209_151224.jpg

Exhaust side of piston
20200209_151315.jpg

20200209_151332.jpg 20200209_152532.jpg

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Only thing I find odd with this saw not being started in over a year is piston has nice coating of oil it stayed there but bottom end all the oil has run and pooled in the bottom of the crankcase? don't know what the go is there but doesn't feel dry meh...
20200209_152945.jpg 20200209_151405.jpg 20200209_153906.jpg 20200209_153935.jpg

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Exactly you hear sawdust fines blamed for pretty much everything was hoping someone could just shed some light on the how and why sawdust fines do damage to a saw engine?. Like it's abrasive and turns into a paste and grinds piston skirts away? something like that anything really.
As I've said myself I have seen no evidence sawdust fines are even abrasive all my saw's live on sawdust fines with zero bad side effects nothing?.
I can't even get a ms170 that's lived on sawdust fines for years and years to show any sign of sawdust ingested damages (I've been in it for a look before).
As has been said not saying to throw airfilters away.
Thought it would be an interesting discussion and put a high hr saw (have plenty) up that's ingested plenty of sawdust with zero damage to engine internals.

Here's one of my ms170's I don't know how to stop fines getting in cutting Aussie hardwoods (it makes dust no matter how good you think you are at sharpening chain) not that I even try stopping 100% of sawdust fines knowing it's not hurting anything but as said all IMHO plenty disagree thats ok am just talking my experiences on the matter.
View attachment 223160 View attachment 223161
The spit back coating always seems to hold onto some of the dust on the way in. You like a more oil rich mix if i remember correct.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Don't know how to diagnose that saw it's a mess one thing is for sure for whatever reason it had little to no oil boundary layer to stop metal to metal contact and started smearing piston up and down the bore.

And yeah all good around me with fires only had one big fire come to about 1k to my place at the start of all these fires thank *f-word the water bombers got on top of it was heading my way at a rapid rate.
Things are better at this min as a lot of AU has had some half decent rain but don't think all the fires are out not down south anway.
Good to hear your news .... the media reports in UK has AUS dealing with flooding now !!

oldbitz

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good to hear your news .... the media reports in UK has AUS dealing with flooding now !!
Yep last week we were choking on smoke and dust now the east coast is wet as. We can't call the drought broken but it sure is helping especially in my area. In the last 3 weeks I have had more rain that we had in the 18 months prior.

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The spit back coating always seems to hold onto some of the dust on the way in. You like a more oil rich mix if i remember correct.
25:1 in saw's that are over 90cc and 32:1 in anything under the mineral oil I use burns clean doesn't oil up mufflers like some oils do it leaves a little carbon but stuff all for the hrs I've seen worse in saw's on the internet that have only run 5 gallons lol

Last edited:

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is gonna turn to an oil thread... Look at the carbon on the top of the piston.. Doesn't look like high hours at all....:rolleyes:
I know that's the problem with running the good stuff saw's look to good on the inside but good for resale I guess yeah mate she's only done a few hrs been well looked after lol

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

25:1 in saw's that are over 90cc and 32:1 in anything under the mineral oil I use burns clean doesn't oil up mufflers like some oils do it leaves a little carbon but stuff all for the hrs I've seen worse in saw's that have only run 5 gallons lol
Your observations....Are we talking about mostly Stihl saws over the years ?

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That saw has done years and years of hard work bucked thousands of logs into billets for the mill done bush work ripped hundreds of billets in half done chit tonnes of firewood.

That's my old man ripping billets in half with it.
4.jpg 3 (3).jpg 1 (7).jpg 6 (2).JPG 2 (9).JPG

Oh and he tried to crush it on me lol
We needed a few stringy bark logs to finish an order so we just scabed them out of the bush next to the sawmill chit logs hard growing in chit ground on a rocky hill but got the order done.

Last edited:

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We used to cut about 250 railway sleepers a day it was always flat to the floor never had time to worry what a saw looked like if it was dirty all that mattered was does it start and cut.
20180805_134657-1.jpg 20180720_120102.jpg

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Years ago we all (Family) run 076's mostly dad's old hand me down saw's they keeped us going for years.
I remember buying my 1st 066 and thinking chit it's little hope it's got some ball's was like a toy lol