Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
8:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's a greater one...
Having done all that and gone NASCAR fast on the highway where the front tires no longer contacted the road. I wouldn't give a 16YO kid a big block fuel injected whiz bang motor for anything but a full on purpose built drag car for the strip only. Cause I don't care if it's a car or a truck, give a kid 450hp and he'll try and use every last one of them. My best advice I can give is you and Bubba have a good time building that old FE whatever it is into a respectable truck motor and Bubba will have all the old school street cred he can get and live to tell about it. Just paint it up real nice and make it sound good, the girls like that and when they slide over to the middle, that's what it's all about anyway. ;)

I have a feeling you are right.

At one time I had a 51 F1 with a 390 CI FE in it and a C6. It was a damn good runner, ad it sounded soooooooo sweet.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I have a feeling you are right.

At one time I had a 51 F1 with a 390 CI FE in it and a C6. It was a damn good runner, ad it sounded soooooooo sweet.
The last motor I built at the shop and put any real time or effort into was a 390FE nodular iron 68 crank with 427 football rods. It was built for a 72' F250 camper special, custom stake body dump with a top loader. Dana 60 3.50 rear end. Hookers were custom built for it and jet hot coated. Had 6k under the hood. Machine work was 2300 fifteen years ago. Bastit will pull down a house, no problem. 12" Luke HD ;)

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bought a new 93 f150 2wd xl - 300 5speed with 2.7x something gears...total stripper, but it was what I could afford at the time. Got 16mpg if I was lucky. Got stuck all the time in the snow.

I once pulled a car trailer with a Model T on it through the hills of the kettle moraine. I didn’t think it was going to make it lol. Hated that truck. Soured me on Fords until I bought a 3.5 eco boost in 2015.

They’ve come a long way.

sawfun

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Back in those days you had to build your own stuff as crate motors were in their infancy and 500" motors were, except Cadillac, very expensive to build. Stuff had to be made, not bought and early single axis CNC machines were barely out. No computers for simulations either.

I knew a guy who had a Vega wagon with a Monza front end and it had various 427 & 428 FE engines in it.

I did buy an old 55 GMC big back window 4 × 4 with 2 & 1/2 ton axles and a 428 Pontiac factiry tri power with cast iron. headers, and dual 4" Stainless stacks The electrical work in that truck was amazing with every wire having an identification number on each end and breakers in place of fuses. A military 12 ton PTO winch on the front with a custom 500 lb + bumper. I didn't keep it long as some kid had to have it from, so I sold it. I wish I had it today more than any muscle car I've sold.

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
6:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bought a new 93 f150 2wd xl - 300 5speed with 2.7x something gears...total stripper, but it was what I could afford at the time. Got 16mpg if I was lucky. Got stuck all the time in the snow.

I once pulled a car trailer with a Model T on it through the hills of the kettle moraine. I didn’t think it was going to make it lol. Hated that truck. Soured me on Fords until I bought a 3.5 eco boost in 2015.

They’ve come a long way.
Ya that’s not a great combo, it would have probably gotten better mileage with 3.73!
The new stuff is nice but I bet it 4x the money you payed for the 93, probably was around 10k for a brand new truck! I wish you could get strip down trucks still today, they are almost impossible to find! I like regular old windows cranks!

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
2:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Me

I was just thinking about how great this thread is. Got saws, trucks, big blocks, overloaded trailers, the works.

Yep great feed, me being a Brit and all just can’t understand any of these trucks. Throw me a Land Rover of any ilk or a Unimog and I’m game!

StephK87

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Unimog's are badass! Super versatile with all the hydraulics and mounting options, very good offroad capabilities! Love them too in my army times in germany, a Mog never let you down! :rolleyes:

would be a dream to own an old one like this... but the prices :eek:

4456518_3.jpg

Stihl Potlicker

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's a greater one...
Having done all that and gone NASCAR fast on the highway where the front tires no longer contacted the road. I wouldn't give a 16YO kid a big block fuel injected whiz bang motor for anything but a full on purpose built drag car for the strip only. Cause I don't care if it's a car or a truck, give a kid 450hp and he'll try and use every last one of them. My best advice I can give is you and Bubba have a good time building that old FE whatever it is into a respectable truck motor and Bubba will have all the old school street cred he can get and live to tell about it. Just paint it up real nice and make it sound good, the girls like that and when they slide over to the middle, that's what it's all about anyway. ;)
OR 18 yr girls lol. My girlfriend in college, would drive a '79 Chevy Caprice, that was JD green(older sister loves JD) 4 barrel carb, 350 lifted cam and some other work done. besides the paint job, the outside looked plain Jane. She loved driving that car, especially when she would roll up to a red light on the golden strip, and some dudes would roll up next to her checking out the little hottie driving that "boat"
they would try and get cute by revving their jitneys, she would look over give them the thumbs up and blow them off the line:clapclap:. best one was a preppy chic pulled up in her brand new 'stang and challenged her, 'stang lost. she quickly became know as the hot chic that has an awesome car:eusa_dance:. WE still wish her old man didn't sell that "boat". guess we will have to find something to build when our 4 boys are older.