Milling pine

Michpatriot

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I believe you can look on YouTube there is a way to cure them whole while they are upright and still on the stump..it has to do with the formation of turpentine. Also you can burn the surface of the lumber and wire brush it repeatedly to get a level of natural protection. Tar the the buried sections of the posts.
Found it...

Last edited:

EbS-P

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
3:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Do you seal the ends? Do the logs sit for a specific time to dry or stabilize or do you just use a kiln?

I have a bunch of pine and some poplar I want to mill soon. Bugs are just starting to get under the bark. I've been working on debating them, but 2 logs that are a few months older are at the point where the bark doesn't take much effort to fall off in big shells due to larva and fungus under the bark. The wood otherwise seems solid. Do you think those 2 white pine logs are worth milling or are they ruined?
I let the bark sit on poplar for 15 months in the south and the sap wood was deteriorating but the heart wood was fine. Only experience with pine is for firewood and it gets the black stains in a week or two.