Measuring fuel line

Crzybowhntr

Apprentice Slacker
Local time
6:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a Ryobi leaf blower that needs fuel lines replaced. Is it sufficient to use drill bits inserted into the inner diameter to get the measurement? Also, using a drill bit to butt up against the end to get the OD? I do have calipers but they are at buddy's house in my reloading equipment.

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Although this would get you close, you must remember that the old line probably has shrunk over time. What your looking is a line that provides a good fiction seal between the line and the tank though holes.

Wish provide more info on the needed line but I have only 1 Ryobi blower that I have serviced in the last 3 yrs and that was backed over by a P/U that had a broke the carburetor heat dam and the first time I serviced it Ryobi sent a Ruxing carburetor that was over choked.

I would think they probably use two different sizes. 3/32" ID 3/16" OD and .080" ID X .140" OD. Now if it is a grey line then it is probably 3/32" (.093"), OD 13/64" (.203").

Crzybowhntr

Apprentice Slacker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Although this would get you close, you must remember that the old line probably has shrunk over time. What your looking is a line that provides a good fiction seal between the line and the tank though holes.

Wish provide more info on the needed line but I have only 1 Ryobi blower that I have serviced in the last 3 yrs and that was backed over by a P/U that had a broke the carburetor heat dam and the first time I serviced it Ryobi sent a Ruxing carburetor that was over choked.

I would think they probably use two different sizes. 3/32" ID 3/16" OD and .080" ID X .140" OD. Now if it is a grey line then it is probably 3/32" (.093"), OD 13/64" (.203").
Thanks. I`m going to get the model # tonight and browse the www. and see what I can come up with.

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That will probably be futile as most are now just selling a pre-lined fuel tanks with no mention of fuel lines or sizes. Some manufactures even have drop fuel line kits. They are basically trying to force us to buy the fuel tanks as many manufactures of riding mowers are doing with the deck spindles. They think we are too stupid or too lazy to replace the fuel lines on perfectly good tank.

Many so-called techs don't realize they don't remove the spindles from deck housings in order to overhaul them as the mounting bolts tend to be seized and break off easily. I seldom replace complete spindles as most just need new bearings or a new spindle shaft; unless,the housing is broken from a severe impact.

grashoper

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
8:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
;)Crazy, grab your vernier callipers and measure it. That way you know for sure.
No point messin around fitting and sourcing an incorrect line for the time it takes to check it.

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
;)Crazy, grab your vernier callipers and measure it. That way you know for sure.
No point messin around fitting and sourcing an incorrect line for the time it takes to check it.
That the very reason I have a digital caliper and also stock several sizes of Tygon and Echo fuel lines. Plus sometimes the OEM used a line that tends to leak due under sizing. One notable one is the Homelites which I now use Echo lines on as that grey line they used is slightly too small OD wised plus fits loose on the carburetor fuel fittings.

I know this not feasible for those that don't have a small engine repair shop but for me it works best to have the different sizes on hand. Never know someone has tried resizing the tank pass though holes because they didn't how to get the lines though easily.

I also ran into lines that don't match the specs on the boxes too; otherwords, one size specs on the box and line itself is of a different actual size.

Crzybowhntr

Apprentice Slacker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I found this to be true last night while trying to find the line. I`ll just take tank and old line to LOCAL ope and ensure proper fitment.

Thanks

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Ryobi use to be good years ago i imagine the fuel line is that clear vinyl crap.