Echo PB-580T Backpack Blower dies after 6 minutes of use

wsdivall

New OPE Member
Local time
8:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have owned my Echo PB-580T Backpack Blower for 4-5yrs. It's easy to start and starts/runs like it always has. However, it has now started to just die after 5-6 minutes of use. I replaced the carburetor, air-filter, primer bulb, gaskets, all fuel lines, spark plug, and rubber grommet several months back. I have been trying to use it for the past several months with no change. It still dies after 5-6 minutes of use. It was an off-brand carburetor, which I have never had an issue with using on my echo, Honda, and/or Stihl equipment. I just ordered the OEM echo carborator and replaced it. The blower still dies after 5-6 minutes. What am I missing?

farminkarman

I like the red & black ones
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have owned my Echo PB-580T Backpack Blower for 4-5yrs. It's easy to start and starts/runs like it always has. However, it has now started to just die after 5-6 minutes of use. I replaced the carburetor, air-filter, primer bulb, gaskets, all fuel lines, spark plug, and rubber grommet several months back. I have been trying to use it for the past several months with no change. It still dies after 5-6 minutes of use. It was an off-brand carburetor, which I have never had an issue with using on my echo, Honda, and/or Stihl equipment. I just ordered the OEM echo carborator and replaced it. The blower still dies after 5-6 minutes. What am I missing?
It could be the coil. I have seen coils work when cold and quit working when they get warm. I have seen some spark plugs cause a similar issue as well.

Last edited:

cescarbrough

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Vacuum being created in the fuel tank?

wsdivall

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It could be the coil. I have seen coils work when cold and quit working when they get warm. I have seen some spark plugs cause a similar issue as well.
I'll inspect the coil and make sure there are no obstructions. Anyway to test a coil before simply replacing?

Brad Button

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a PB-255 handheld that was giving similar issues. What spark plug are you using? It should be a BPM8Y or BPMR8Y. Long story short I like someone else mentioned thought it was the ignition coil, tore the entire blower apart, and put a new OEM in it. That didn't change a thing. Got to talking to a friend that is an Echo dealer and he asked what plug was in it, I had a WRS6F, and he told me to change it to what Echo called for and it has been running perfectly since with a BPM8Y plug. Look on your spark plug lead just below the cap, there should be a tag with the plug number.

Brad Button

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Buy an inline spark tester and run with that in place. When it dies check for a spark, that will tell you if it is the sign. coil.

Rogee

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Most likely the coil to me . I had a stihl blower do the same . Replaced coil and end of troubles.

Pepperspapa

OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have had coil issues like this. Equipment will run fine for a few minutes and quit. There are tests including
an echo tester that has high praise, but runs $65 so if you don't repair equipment regularly that wouldn't make sense.
Coils are cheap and I have found the after markets work. I replaced a Stihl Blower coil recently. The blower had been discarded
in a junk pile. Works great now.

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I see you replaced everything but I don't see you saying you replaced the fuel filter.