Crocky28

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
7:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The MDG1 is available to buy freely here in the U.K.

Mine works, just not with newer 500is. I used it on an older one and it did everything fine. Plugged in 4 new ones and no luck.

I’m pretty sure stihl have stopped giving out the updated software and that’s why it is. I’ll know more on Monday.

Crocky28

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On another note you can also buy the Husqvarna hardware here but can’t get the log in.

av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
2:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The MDG1 is available to buy freely here in the U.K.

Mine works, just not with newer 500is. I used it on an older one and it did everything fine. Plugged in 4 new ones and no luck.

I’m pretty sure stihl have stopped giving out the updated software and that’s why it is. I’ll know more on Monday.
Try manually updating the firmware. Go right to the top left corner to Firmware and click on update. Try it afterwards.

Crocky28

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Try manually updating the firmware. Go right to the top left corner to Firmware and click on update. Try it afterwards.
Tried that too. Still doesn’t work unfortunately.

av8or3

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tried that too. Still doesn’t work unfortunately.
Then, I would go to the dealer and see if his MDG1 communicates with the new saws. I find it strange for the same reasons as you. But it would be hard to believe that they would suddenly “limit” access to some saws, when in fact it appears they have, because they would alienate a large audience that has been depending on them for support for years. People would say they’re just like Husqvarna. I can’t see that as being good press and I just can’t believe they’d do it for that reason alone. They are not trying to sell service, they want to sell saws.

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Take a saw to the dealer that you can’t connect to while your chatting to him about the update.
I guess your find out if it is either the saws or your update that’s the problem.

Crocky28

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Take a saw to the dealer that you can’t connect to while your chatting to him about the update.
I guess your find out if it is either the saws or your update that’s the problem.
I wondered about it being the saws but 4 of them seems strange. All new. One not brand new but fairly new.

Crocky28

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like you need a dealer log in. I’m just waiting on confirmation.

Crocky28

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So Stihl no longer give the software out. The older saws will work but you can’t get the updates anymore. You must be a stihl dealer. This was direct from still technical department.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Magnuson – Moss act prevents a manufacturer from keeping proprietary software to themselves. At least in the states, if you buy a product that requires software or tools to fix it, the manufacturer is required by law to make it available to those customers. They are being hush-hush about it and haven’t been sued yet or that info would be more available.

There was a fella in the Facebook groups that worked for a dealer but had his own MDG and he was able to get it to read the second generation software on the 500i. I will look and see if I can remember who it was.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
1:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Magnuson – Moss act prevents a manufacturer from keeping proprietary software to themselves. At least in the states, if you buy a product that requires software or tools to fix it, the manufacturer is required by law to make it available to those customers. They are being hush-hush about it and haven’t been sued yet or that info would be more available.

There was a fella in the Facebook groups that worked for a dealer but had his own MDG and he was able to get it to read the second generation software on the 500i. I will look and see if I can remember who it was.
Good info K

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don’t know if this works as it’s a private group. Let me know and I will get some screenshots if not. The way it sounds, the program needs to be uninstalled. And when they ask you about uninstalling Diag 2.0, click yes. And then reinstall the whole program and they say it works fine.

IMG_7173.png

Crocky28

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Good to know. Thanks. I’ll look into that here. 👍

Crocky28

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don’t know if this works as it’s a private group. Let me know and I will get some screenshots if not. The way it sounds, the program needs to be uninstalled. And when they ask you about uninstalling Diag 2.0, click yes. And then reinstall the whole program and they say it works fine.

View attachment 422577

Thanks. I tried uninstalling already and it didn’t ask anything i don’t think but I’ll try again.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
1:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good to know. Thanks. I’ll look into that here. 👍
Thinking out loud here, the right to repair lawsuit won, was in the United States, I wouldn't expect it to extend any farther than that. Every country's rules/law can/will be different on the matter. :(
Is there a person or dealer local to you that the problem could be discussed with to help possibly to get to the root of your issue at hand?

Crocky28

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I called stihl technical department and it was them that said I had to be a dealer. I’ve spoke. To my local place and they said about possibly becoming a sub dealer. I’m looking into that now.

I think the rules will be Different here.

Crocky28

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

View attachment 422577
I’ve asked to join but it’s pending. I tried uninstalling it but I don’t get a pop up it just uninstalls.

Can anyone download the version that works there and share it with me on drop box or something?

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sometimes when you uninstall programs, it still leaves files in the registry.
So when you reinstall it already knows stuff.
Ie trial for a limited time software. But most software leaves a trace

It’s a longtime since I’ve played with windows.
So you would have to look into how to clean out those unwanted files.

av8or3

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That same legislation (M-M Act) also says that if a Manufacturer requires you use OEM parts to maintain the warranty those parts must be provided free of charge. This all was a big win for consumers.

Crocky28

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sometimes when you uninstall programs, it still leaves files in the registry.
So when you reinstall it already knows stuff.
Ie trial for a limited time software. But most software leaves a trace

It’s a longtime since I’ve played with windows.
So you would have to look into how to clean out those unwanted files.
I thought about that so went and deleted everything. It had left a stihl folder so I deleted it. Unsure if that properly got rid of everything.