beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
7:38 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We boiled Wednesday and Thursday night. Taking tonight off, plan to fire up early tomorrow morning. Boiled 70 or so gallons with another 50 to go. If we end up with two gallons of syrup from this run I'll be surprised.

d592e29d687b4d0a0712c42de3e5e766.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of people saying the sugar content is low this year. I haven't tested anything myself yet.

@Lightning Performance, did you make any syrup yet?
No. Have a broke right hand.
Missed the window this year for sap I do believe. We have leaves on the cherry trees but the buds are not flowering yet. Little green leaves on the bud bottoms. Weird year. Never had mosquitos in late December and back by February 27. A big stripped one was buzzing me yesterday.... hybrids. No snow this year. Bugs everywhere, mold and fungus. Mold makes me sick now. Fun year coming. If we get a freeze it will under twelve hours duration now.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:38 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sweet set up.

Thanks! It's taken a LONG time to get here. They cooked the first batch out here in '75. It's only a side gig for us, so I have a twinge of envy when I visit guys who started only started a few years ago and have $100k+ in shiny equipment in their very nice "shacks". But this stuff is paid for, and it's a huge step up from where we were ten years ago. If all goes well, we'll keep making a little more syrup every year with little improvements along the way.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks! It's taken a LONG time to get here. They cooked the first batch out here in '75. It's only a side gig for us, so I have a twinge of envy when I visit guys who started only started a few years ago and have $100k+ in shiny equipment in their very nice "shacks". But this stuff is paid for, and it's a huge step up from where we were ten years ago. If all goes well, we'll keep making a little more syrup every year with little improvements along the way.
Hell yeah!!!!

Fugged them commercial units you pay off in decades, no thank. The mother of invention lives there... and she's a bad *b-word... well done indeed.

Everyone says this year is extra light but plentiful. I would fit right in... below average most of the time but improving.

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Syrup finished Friday Night:
2020-03-05 19.37.57.jpg
Saturday Night:
2020-03-08 18.39.58.jpg
Sunday I drained the pan and finished off the last of it:
2020-03-08 23.05.50.jpg

The weather here is turning warm, and I'm not confident I'll get enough good runs to be worth running again, but I won't pull taps yet, in case we get a good window of weather.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Syrup finished Friday Night:
View attachment 229200
Saturday Night:
View attachment 229201
Sunday I drained the pan and finished off the last of it:
View attachment 229202

The weather here is turning warm, and I'm not confident I'll get enough good runs to be worth running again, but I won't pull taps yet, in case we get a good window of weather.
Nice! I'm thinking I'll pull taps this weekend, see what weather does though. The reds are gonna start budding soon with this warm weather.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Were done... I do believe... over seventy here today and the shallow waters are warming fast. Guys started fresh water bass fishing last week. They're catching fish.

Johnmn

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:38 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Were done... I do believe... over seventy here today and the shallow waters are warming fast. Guys started fresh water bass fishing last week. They're catching fish.
Wow crazy, we have I'd say 1 1/2 feet of snow still and I'm guessing 30 + or - inches of ice on the lakes still

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I've been tempted to do a maple season tour. Start somewhere like Illinois or Pennsylvania and end up in Quebec. Cook syrup for 5 months!
You got a cooker in mind? I have some extra trailers around. Full time sauna on wheels... could sell seats to the enclosed roof deck. BYOB soccer moms only. We'll be down stairs cooking syrup. Bet finding trees and places to set up would be easy. Sweet Tooth Steamworks.

"We make... while you bake :cool:"