Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
8:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
... All syrup should be 66.7 degrees on the Brix scale, to be legally syrup (about 89% sugar content)...

Everything else in this post was spot on, but unless I'm very much mistaken, brix = percent sugar. So syrup is 66.7% sugar, or dissolved solids, anyway. Anything over 68.9 will crystalize, and I think the legal minimum is 66 everywhere except Vermont, where it has to be 66.9 or more.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Everything else in this post was spot on, but unless I'm very much mistaken, brix = percent sugar. So syrup is 66.7% sugar, or dissolved solids, anyway. Anything over 68.9 will crystalize, and I think the legal minimum is 66 everywhere except Vermont, where it has to be 66.9 or more.
I flashed boiled a pint of NY syrup to see how it went. I got half a pint of rock candy in a few months. It really woke up the vanilla flavor or vanillin flavor. Good stuff hot on pancakes. Super thick and it was dark syrup originally. Tons of flavor.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One questions about maple trees.
Is a cluster consider one tree or several?

You can't always tell till you flush cut the stumps if their sisters or one tree.

Around here, the sugar maples don't grow that way, only reds and silvers, which I don't really care too much about, in terms of forest management. If each stem is big enough to tap, I'd put one in it. Or, I'd consider maybe leaving the nicest one untapped, tapping the other stems for a year or two, and then cutting them away.

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think one is by volume , and the other is by weight, but don’t ask me which is which.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think one is by volume , and the other is by weight, but don’t ask me which is which.

Brix = percent sugar. Volume, weight, however you want to measure. Syrup is between 66-68 brix, or 66-68% sugar. It's actually pretty incredible how much change in thickness occurs within that range. It's definitely noticeable when you take a sip.

Screenshot_20200219-090212.png

This info is about sugarcane production, but it's the same deal.

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There it is. So Brix is by weight, which is the one you can measure anyway (by hydrometer). Good info!

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Around here, the sugar maples don't grow that way, only reds and silvers, which I don't really care too much about, in terms of forest management. If each stem is big enough to tap, I'd put one in it. Or, I'd consider maybe leaving the nicest one untapped, tapping the other stems for a year or two, and then cutting them away.
These are everywhere in yards around here. One is not a hundred feet from my property. Seven or eight one foot round leaders coming up. It might be easier to tap the local residential block than travel anywhere. I'll ask around the hood tonight. Been pulling Grey Oyster mushrooms off a dying sugar maple two blocks away. These trees are all in the back fence line or damn near in the street out front. My neighborhood has no sidewalks from 3rd to 8th street. There is a few big 100+ year old sugar maples within a rocks throw of our yard. Stands of them occur in clusters along roadways and hedge rows of farms and ditches in this region. Avoiding any trees exposed to ferts, chemicals, salts and pesticides. No lawn trees on commercial properties for me. Next to some of them is the prime old trees along the drain paths, also not good imo. Anything out of the run-off area should be better quality as far as leaching chemicals are concerned.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We're finally tapped, seems to be running well. 40 on tubing and 11 buckets.
e1fdfc8d5e818d690ed0998bb00a8c86.jpg

Last edited:

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We tapped five trees in the yard around lunch time yesterday. All five are 30"+ so we put two per tree. I always start small when trying something new. It would be nice to net a couple qts of syrup for personal use. If the 40:1 ratio is close we should have no problem reaching that goal. When I left for work this morning all five TSC five gallon buckets were half full. We have rain/snow moving in but the weather looks favorable for the next couple days.

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, I already surpassed my hopes in the first day. All five buckets except one were overflowing this afternoon. We have a 30 gallon barrel to store it until the weekend. These trees are insane! I wish I had my brewing hydrometer here to test the sugar content.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Things are looking good here too. I have about 120 gallons to boil. Got the shed somewhat cleared out tonight. Might boil tomorrow night, definitely Thursday. Otherwise we're gonna run out of storage space.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ran good here today. I've got 2/3 of my woods tapped, hooked up to vacuum and free from leaks. The remaining third is gonna take some work, but it's getting there. Shot 6 squirrels in the last two days, so that should help with the leaks. Collected about 350 gallons today. Should have enough to boil on Friday.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got another squirrel today, and got the remaining third of my woods mostly tapped. Got a few guys bringing sap tomorrow, and we're gonna fire up the cooker for the first time. I have about 600 gallons collected so far, plus about 500 being delivered. We should have a nice afternoon of cooking. We'll sweeten up the pans and probably pull off 15 gallons or so. I'll try to remember to have someone snap a couple pictures, my phone camera is fubared.

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How did it go?
I bottled 7 more pints last night. My pans are VERY sweet, and when I boil tomorrow, I should get another gallon or so of syrup. It does seem like the sap this year is a little less sweet than normal. I think I'm getting 50:1 instead of 40:1 this year.
2020-03-05 19.37.57.jpg

Last edited:

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've seen a lot of people saying the sugar content is low this year. I haven't tested anything myself yet.

@Lightning Performance, did you make any syrup yet?