Making gaskets

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know most know how to make gaskets but some don't . If you get to dealing with old stuff sometimes you have no other choice because parts get very difficult to find .I found a several tutorials on the net . I use the mark and cut method using mix oil because it has blue dye which shows up better .---

This is a set ,actually two sets for the partner P-100's I'm working on .The excess on the outside will be trimmed of with a razor knife after the case is back together .The excess in the oil tank doesn't make any difference .

Attachments

• DSCN0789[1].JPG
    DSCN0789[1].JPG
    263.6 KB · Views: 59

legdelimber

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As a teen, I'd bum an un-liked color of lipstick from some female in the family.
Rub the stick on the case as a transfer medium, kinda like a printing press.
Then, using a hard flat surface, lay the gasket sheet on top of a thin towel or cloth.
Might have to use tacks or use weights on the sheet corners to hold it down.
Now take the case and firmly press it onto the gasket stock.
Don't try to lift or move it once you make first contact because it ruins the mark and you'll have to flip the gasket stock over.
Continue holding the part in place as you push a few bolts, firmly, into the holes and make locating/reference marks.
With a sacrificial rag under things, you could run the razor knife around the part while it's still on the rag and gasket stack.
You need the bolt hole dents for location reference once you move the part and finish the trim work.

Last edited:

GBertolet

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like to place the gasket material over the intended part, and tap the gasket lightly, and repeatedly with a hammer. This imprints all the necessiary info on the gasket, to cut out the gasket and locate the screw holes. This method has worked out well for me.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That what I used .I miced the old gasket which was compressed to 12 thou .1/64" is around 15 thou,close enough . I've used just about any type paper,rubber,soft aluminum etc over the years .Once I had some stuff that was a tad over 1/8" I used for the oil pan gasket of a 1946 Caterpillar D4 .That was a real joy to cut out . That one with a cast iron oil pan that weighed probably weighed 150 pounds I just used a small pall peen hammer .To reinstall it I had to sling it with a pair of chain falls .In my younger days I was very strong but not strong enough to lift 150 pounds up to the bottom end of a diesel engine .One of the very few I used number 1 Permatex on which is what Caterpillar used .

rsting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is the best trick i know of on gaskets. IF, the old gasket is more or less in one piece, or where you can line up the pieces. Make a copy of it on a copier. Cut the copy paper down close to size and glue it to the gasket material with some spray adhesive.
Now, you've got a perfect copy of the gasket, just cut right through the copy paper and gasket material.
If you make 2 copies of the gasket, and keep one with the part number on it, you'll always be able to make that gasket iff you need one again.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Speaking of which I did order a set of gasket punches ,about 12 bucks .The ones I have I made from hydraulic tubing and brake lines .They work but not as good as the real McCoy .After about a half dozen punch outs you have to use a piece of stiff wire (coat hanger ) to punch out the slugs .I think these new ones are from 1/8" to 1" .May be more,it's 12 piece .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can we also discuss, the paper/type gasket used, and thickness.. as I think that would help others seeking to make there own.
;)
Depends on what it's used for .I've used paper,cork, the package beer comes in ,the cover from National Geographic even aluminum beer cans .
If you stick the governor on a Briggs engine when it gets above 4,000 RPM the rod comes right out the front end .I repaired an 8 HP by using 1/8" Buna-N sheet stock with a piece of aircraft aluminum slobbered up with Permatex aviation .It doesn't leak .

kneedeepinsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
3:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is the best trick i know of on gaskets. IF, the old gasket is more or less in one piece, or where you can line up the pieces. Make a copy of it on a copier. Cut the copy paper down close to size and glue it to the gasket material with some spray adhesive.
Now, you've got a perfect copy of the gasket, just cut right through the copy paper and gasket material.
If you make 2 copies of the gasket, and keep one with the part number on it, you'll always be able to make that gasket iff you need one again.

I’ve used old steel rifle cases to punch my holes work pretty well. And small ball peen for certain gaskets to tap them out. Asked for a gasket hammer at a local parts store and got a dumb look. Just got the smallest ball peen since that’s pretty much the same

brilliant!!!

the steel rifle cases sound like perfect hole punches. This was a question i had and now answered. Got lots of 7.62x39 steel cases which would make good hole punches i think.
Photo copying gaskets makes perfect sense, i would have never thought of that.

what a great thread.

how do you guys find paper gaskets holding up as base gaskets? I really like the silicone/paper style as they seem to squish slightly making a great seal, but i dont think you can buy sheets of that.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've missed my calculations several times when cutting a cylinder base down .As a result I've had to make a slightly thicker base gasket .I've used things like the package beverages come in ,beer, Pepsi doesn't make a difference .They don't fail . I don't use any sealant on them . Most of the Stihl base gaskets I've measured were right at 20 thou thick .Stihl by the way are the only ones I've ever cut down the base on .

kneedeepinsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've missed my calculations several times when cutting a cylinder base down .As a result I've had to make a slightly thicker base gasket .I've used things like the package beverages come in ,beer, Pepsi doesn't make a difference .They don't fail . I don't use any sealant on them . Most of the Stihl base gaskets I've measured were right at 20 thou thick .Stihl by the way are the only ones I've ever cut down the base on .
Unreal. Well thats good info ill keep it in mind

hotajax

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As a teen, I'd bum an un-liked color of lipstick from some female in the family.
Rub the stick on the case as a transfer medium, kinda like a printing press.
Then, using a hard flat surface, lay the gasket sheet on top of a thin towel or cloth.
Might have to use tacks or use weights on the sheet corners to hold it down.
Now take the case and firmly press it onto the gasket stock.
Don't try to lift or move it once you make first contact because it ruins the mark and you'll have to flip the gasket stock over.
Continue holding the part in place as you push a few bolts, firmly, into the holes and make locating/reference marks.
With a sacrificial rag under things, you could run the razor knife around the part while it's still on the rag and gasket stack.
You need the bolt hole dents for location reference once you move the part and finish the trim work.
I've never heard of lipstick getting someone out of trouble. Usually lipstick gets them in to trouble.

kneedeepinsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've never heard of lipstick getting someone out of trouble. Usually lipstick gets them in to trouble.
Lol depends on what state of mind you are in when you say something like that now doesnt it ;)