Chain Breakers and making homemade chain

redneckhillbilly

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
in my quest for ultimate titewadness I had a thought of getting a chainbreaker and rivet tool so I can make random chains into a length I can use.

I have never seen a chain get unrolled from the spool and riveted together and was curious how many tools and space is necessary.

local saw shop has a couple boxes of odball size chains in a clearance box on the counter for 5 bucks a piece and if I could make them into something useable it would help me attain another level of titewadness.

I know there are a few different sizes (.325 3/8 .050 .058 and more) I wouldnt be trying to mix them.

my main question is what is a good brand or style of chainbreaker and where is a good place to buy one, and also rivets and links and whatever else is necessary.

I am sure others have done this in the past and any info is greatly appreciated. THANKS

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
5:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I grind the old links rivets head off with my dremel and punch them apart.
Before I got a spinner I used a tiny ball peen hammer to round the new links rivets heads when joining chain.
How cheap you going?

redneckhillbilly

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Damn I was unaware it could be done that cheap, I always thought you had to have some kind of a press to put them together.

I'm not against buying the right tool for the job, if it doesnt entail more than a hundred or two dollars and take up a whole lot of counter space.

whats a decent entry level brand I should take a look at, I'm far from a pro, I just enjoy firewood hunting.

redneckhillbilly

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I never heard of amazon returns, Im going to check that out, THANKS

does anyone have any experience with the vice grip style of breaker/spinner? I like that because I can carry it in my saw ammo can.

Eduardo K

I like caramel.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There's a Tecomec brand breaker and spinner for 130 shipped from Archer Plus on Ebay.

Time is the most valuable commodity. That's where I choose to be a "tightwad".

This is the route I went. Time was probably just as important as the fact that I was a novice. Using the right tool for the job with easily repeatable results gave me the confidence I wasn’t going to hurt myself with my chain too.
Either way you’ll be able to build and fix chain loops outta less expensive chain moving forward. Good luck.

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I grind the old links rivets head off with my dremel and punch them apart.
Before I got a spinner I used a tiny ball peen hammer to round the new links rivets heads when joining chain.
How cheap you going?

That's exactly what I do. Grinder, punch and ball pein. You can do a nice neat job if you take your time.

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah does do a nice job,but you'll start dreaming in Morse code! Tap,tap,tap.......

Lol. It's not something I do often. Maybe 7 or 8 times. I lay it out on a piece of flat metal and use a small screwdriver to hold the tie strap in place while I start the tap tap tap until it gets started enough to hold it in place. Then more tap tap tap until I'm satisfied with it. If it was something I did on a regular basis, I would definitely invest in a spinner, probably a breaker too.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
4:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Getting a spinner and breaker set has helped me save dozens and dozens of chain loops, for myself, friends, and volunteer groups that I work with.

I never made a loop off of a new roll, but I have resized and repaired many, many, chains, which paid for the tools many times over.

You can sometimes resize free (or almost free) chains from garage sales, etc.

There are cheap, spinner and breaker sets on eBay, but if parts break (and they will) you cannot get replacements. The Archer and Tecomec sets sold by Archer Plus on eBay (mentioned above) are identical, except in color. The punches, anvil’s, and other parts, interchange with the Oregon branded versions of these as well.

I also have the Granberg Break-N-Mend (Vice Grip style tool), and can make it work, but it is not as easy. And it is almost half the cost of a good, bench top spinner / breaker set.

You can buy preset links from most online places that sell chains, such as Bailey’s, Loggerchain, Pats Small Engine Parts, etc. Add them on to an order to avoid shipping fees.

I buy STIHL presets from my STIHL dealer in bags of 8 or 10. You will quickly find out how many variations of presets there are!!!

I have learned a lot about chains from doing this and encourage anyone interested to try it. Oregon has some good instructional videos on YouTube.

Philbert

https://www.ebay.com/itm/383398090918?hash=item59444e98a6:g:XskAAOSwQrJbZfwt

https://www.ebay.com/itm/381880301401?epid=17047133939&hash=item58e9d6f759:g:scsAAOSwq~ZhMjdH

Last edited:

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oregon video. Process is the same for most other brands of spinners and breakers.

It seems long, because he is discussing it in great detail, but it only takes a minute or two.

I don’t break out full ‘butterfly’s’. I do put a tiny dab of grease, with the tip of a toothpick, on each rivet head before spinning.

Philbert

Last edited:

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
11:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have an Oregon breaker & spinner, need to learn to use them.

I got a 29" hardnose bar with a saw purchase.
It sat unused for years and the groove was full with rust. Also it took a lot of filing to dress the rails.
I want to spin up a loop out of worn chains to run it in the bar for testing groove clearance before I invest in a new loop for it.

I don't understand the part of "breaking" a chain open, it doesn't seem logical. :confused:

Last edited:

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
11:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I understand the terminology and how it should work!
But, the rivet is thicker in its mid section (where it holds the drive link) - it technically can not be punched out without bending the opposite side tie strap! o_O
Also, how exactly is the anvil supporting and holding the chain level - I looked at it and the rivet doesn't seem to be at the exact same axis as the punch and therefore gets pushed out "crooked"?!
As I said, it all looks weird to me and my breaker & spinner have been collecting dust from day 1 since I purchased them. :confused:

The breaker I purchased came with bent OEM punches and a couple chain sections with FAILED breaking attempts.
The previous owner must have tried resizing his own chains and failed.
I made a couple custom punches (some of which with "replaceable" tips) but have yet to give breaking & spinning a try. :)
I'll get to it, You'll be the first I will turn to for help! ;)

nbbt

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
There's a Tecomec brand breaker and spinner for 130 shipped from Archer Plus on Ebay.

Time is the most valuable commodity. That's where I choose to be a "tightwad".

Check out the Archer Plus website, I found that they seem to be slightly better on pricing, probably due to no Evil Bay fees. There might be other benefits as well.

nbbt

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'm using the ones from Archer, but I also have some of their bulk chain. They usually have the common ones in stock.

I saw that HLSupply has them as well, site sponsor at top of page