Lower Rakers or Gear Up?

IffykidMn

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Balance of power bar length and raker height.

90cc + 24"B&C with rakers between 030-035 rakers for hardwoods 20"+ depending on if the wood is frozen or not, for me that sweet spot of just a slight feeling of chatter which goes away with the next touch up sharpening, with a 8pin which reduces the amount of over rev bounce.

MERR6267

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For whatever it's worth, I'm just a firewood hack, but I cut a good bit of hardwood. I tried some 8 pins in the past and all it ever seemed to accomplish was frustration on my part. I have some pretty fast saws, in a ported 346, ported cs-620, 372, 661cm, and a 2100xp, but none of them have made me wish for an 8 pin on harder stuff. (maple, oak, locust, elm).

Sometimes I throw one on just to see if a different sharpening technique nets any good and I usually take it off after a tank and a blunted chain.

I like an angry saw and aggressive chains I guess. I find if I have to dog in I just get frustrated with heat and friction.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
11:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For me it depends ethe saw. A high revving modern saw, I like a smooth cutting 8 pin. I'm taking advantage of the rpms and keeping the working load in its sweet spot. Its buzzing through the wood as intended. Even if its been "built" for torque its high rpms take advantage of the faster chain speed.
Older models aren't really getting fast enough to notice the bigger rims in my observations , I'm pretty sure that I could run a 10 pin rim on a Super pro 80 McCulloch in 24" bar but its still not going to cut as fast as a modern saw. Those saws can pull a raker/ depth of 30-50 all day though and throw french fries out the back ,thats where they shine.