High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Looky what I got!! :D

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:35 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Is there really no hope for the top end ? take it pistons are a pain to find regardless of cylinders.

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
4:35 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not that I intend to buy there, but I was just looking at cylinder kits on Bailey's and they have dropped the OEM Husky cyl kits back down... 395 kit is only $130!!! This makes me happy because my local Husky dealer is selling the OEM kits for the new deeply discounted prices too! :D :D
first congratz with a nice scoop!

Your guys have nice price on top end, last time I checked 346ne in Norway it was 2,5 time more expensive then prices in US.
I am sure those price reduction happen because your guys have rebuild many saws with AM top ends, while Norwegians just buy an new saw instead to rebuild their saws with AM parts, they probleby dont know any better.

I dont complain though, we can still buy oem pistons to 242,254,262, hell, even 262 top end are avaible...

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Is there really no hope for the top end ? take it pistons are a pain to find regardless of cylinders.

At this point I haven't a clue on the condition of the top end. I just got it home today and haven't pulled the muffler or top end to have a look. I will likely look into it this weekend to find out for sure.

I'm just figuring on worst case scenario and as I have said, unless the cylinder looks exceptionally good I will most likely replace it. I want this saw to run like new when I get done with it.

Tor: I wish I could hook you up, but like our conversation in my 55 thread I suspect shipping overseas would be high enough to negate the price difference on the kit.

I once shipped some snowmobile parts to Sweden. It was a set of triple pipes, canisters, oil tank and a few other odd and ends for a Ski-Doo Mach-Z 800. Granted, the box was fairly large to contain the 3 pipes but not extremely heavy... Shipping from my location to the buyers location in Sweden was over $600 USD! I couldn't believe the buyer agreed to pay that shipping, but he did... He must have REALLY wanted those parts!

lwhaples

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Local Dealer had a 394 top kit,guy from the next State over came and paid 3 bills. I assume the 394 kits are hard to come by. Good Luck with yours.

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

I forgot to answer part 2 of your post...

I can get a Meteor 394 piston easy enough. It's the 394 specific cylinder that nobody makes anymore, not Meteor, not even OEM. You have to swap to a 395 cylinder, intake tract and either modify the 394 carb or swap it for a 395 style carb. The difference is the method of supplying the impulse to the carb to actuate the fuel pump. The 394 keeps the impulse port all internal throughout the intake tract and into the engine side mating surface of the carb. The 395 uses and external impulse line. As far as I am aware, that is the only mechanical difference between the 394 and 395 cylinders.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 395 uses and external impulse line. As far as I am aware, that is the only mechanical difference between the 394 and 395 cylinders.
394 is dual port, 395 is quad. That external impulse line is a major plus to those that mill. 94 has a hot start issue where the intake block impulse is prone to vapor lock (what I'm told).

Last edited:

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
394 pulls hard stock. 395 has to be ported to pull like a 394. Let me dig up some videos real quick... either are great but I have two 394s for milling....and neither are going anywhere.

Ray Bell

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
7:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Me with 37" 3/8 skip square. (Note the Alaskan Mill rectangle marks on the bar)

And a hot ported 395 with a 32" skip square.. I did both chains.

Randy Dunlap builds a stout saw.
Both very nice. I do like that ported 395!
Ride-Red, congrats on the new (old) saw deal. Looking forward to build thread, and after build vids.

decableguy2000

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The high top kits are NLA, but if you watch ebay or ask around here for the the elbow the air filter and cover from the 395 should work. The 395 OEM would be a great deal, but I would try to keep the original top end. If you go the 395 route, you will need a few other parts and pieces.

By the way that looks like a good snag and project to look forward to. You won't be disappointed.

Jeremy

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Both very nice. I do like that ported 395!
Ride-Red, congrats on the new (old) saw deal. Looking forward to build thread, and after build vids.
395 snaps up and screams. It was stronger than the 394...but it was built to lean towards play saw but still be workable if wanted.

What I am getting at is I wouldn't ditch a 394 jug just to make it a 395. If it is ok or salvageable I'd run it.

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Nice looking saws Jimmy, man they sure make quick work of that big ol log!

I just remembered something that may be a huge benefit! I still have another 394 cylinder on my bench that I THINK can have some transferred material removed and be run! Only think I don't like about the 94 cylinder is the impulse method and that intake block...

On the high top, I don't see any reason that a 395 cover, filter mount and filter lid won't work on the 394. If all else fails I'll get new OEM if I must.

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The impulse method isnt as bad as some make it out to be. Have I had hot start issues...once. I have had issues with lots of saws in NC heat though. Impulse through the intake block was used for a long time.

That saw was Mike Lee's. He never felt that saw needed anything else and why I got it bone stock. I also should point out I never felt bad about getting rid of a MM288 for it. 394/5 are bad saws. Congrats.

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Jimmy: With the intake block, it is my understanding that over time they can become fatigued from heat and very minute cracks can develop. The 394 that I rebuilt for the tree service was giving me fits as I tried to dial in the jetting. I replaced that intake block and it cured the tuning issues. But then again, we are talking about parts that are near 20 years old, some older. The same type of thing does happen to a rubber intake boot as well. I guess it's really tomato/tomaahhto. Good thing is that the intake blocks are still available.. Thanks for your insight, I appreciate feedback and advice from those with experience with a particular model.

Wolverine: I see that you trim the 395 filter cover, looks easy enough.. Is this to allow fitment on a 394 cylinder cover?? If so that's cool because I won't have to get a new cylinder cover, just the filter cover and filter mount... For some reason I was thinking I would have to get a cylinder cover as well.....

Wagnerwerks

I have yet to "suffer" from CAD
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
You're headed down a slippery slope....

Soon you shop will look like this...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 17