Log Splitter Rental

S Tebo

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I am in search of info as to where I can rent a 4-way (or ideally a 6-way) log splitter with a hydraulic lift arm to raise & stage the rounds up onto the splitter. I have a very nice 27 Ton Troy-Bilt with a good working platform that I made to use with it in its vertical position (my rounds are usually too big/heavy to lift or roll up a ramp to use it in its horizontal position). But I have currently have about 6-8 cords to split at the moment and another 4-6 cords coming soon and I would like to knock it all out in a weekend or two this spring/summer. I have checked with all of the local and national rental companies near me and they all rent what I already own. I had the name of a rental company in North West Baltimore that used to rent one for $130 for the weekend (pick up Fri pm and return Mon am). But last fall, some dumb azz tried to make it do more than it could and bent it’s shaft, so they stopped renting it (why is there always one dumb azz that ruins a good thing for the rest of us?...). I would love to own one, but they are not cheap and unless I could find several other people to go in together to buy one jointly and take turns sharing it; they are beyond my means to buy at the moment. I am willing to drive to the Tri-State area to rent one from a rental company or any site member that has one and is willing to rent it for some extra pocket money etc. I am an OCD freak who takes crazy good care of my equipment (I probably belong on some type of prescription medication to stop me obsessing over the one spec of saw dust that I know is still somewhere inside of the starter cover that I cannot get to after air-washed it for 15 minutes…Lol). My splitter has processed well over 100 cords of wood and it is still in showroom condition. There is a parade of members that can attest to my respect for equipment. I just have a lot of other house projects to do this summer and I can’t spend as much time splitting as I usually do. So I am in search of a faster machine to rent from somewhere or someone. Please reply (or PM me if you prefer) if you have any info, suggestions, one to rent or know of someone/someplace that does. Below are some pics of what I am working with and what I am looking for.

Many Thanks,
Scott

What I have:
9-2015 4.jpg
What I am looking for:
2.jpg

http://www.timberwolfcorp.com/tw-5e-log-splitter/

http://www.allwoodlogsplitters.com/bloodwood-series

What I have to do:
9-2015 1.jpg

S Tebo

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I am in search of info as to where I can rent a 4-way (or ideally a 6-way) log splitter with a hydraulic lift arm to raise & stage the rounds up onto the splitter. I have a very nice 27 Ton Troy-Bilt with a good working platform that I made to use with it in its vertical position (my rounds are usually too big/heavy to lift or roll up a ramp to use it in its horizontal position). But I have currently have about 6-8 cords to split at the moment and another 4-6 cords coming soon and I would like to knock it all out in a weekend or two this spring/summer. I have checked with all of the local and national rental companies near me and they all rent what I already own. I had the name of a rental company in North West Baltimore that used to rent one for $130 for the weekend (pick up Fri pm and return Mon am). But last fall, some dumb azz tried to make it do more than it could and bent it’s shaft, so they stopped renting it (why is there always one dumb azz that ruins a good thing for the rest of us?...). I would love to own one, but they are not cheap and unless I could find several other people to go in together to buy one jointly and take turns sharing it; they are beyond my means to buy at the moment. I am willing to drive to the Tri-State area to rent one from a rental company or any site member that has one and is willing to rent it for some extra pocket money etc. I am an OCD freak who takes crazy good care of my equipment (I probably belong on some type of prescription medication to stop me obsessing over the one spec of saw dust that I know is still somewhere inside of the starter cover that I cannot get to after air-washed it for 15 minutes…Lol). My splitter has processed well over 100 cords of wood and it is still in showroom condition. There is a parade of members that can attest to my respect for equipment. I just have a lot of other house projects to do this summer and I can’t spend as much time splitting as I usually do. So I am in search of a faster machine to rent from somewhere or someone. Please reply (or PM me if you prefer) if you have any info, suggestions, one to rent or know of someone/someplace that does. Below are some pics of what I am working with and what I am looking for.

Many Thanks,
Scott

What I have:
View attachment 18923
What I am looking for:
View attachment 18924

http://www.timberwolfcorp.com/tw-5e-log-splitter/

http://www.allwoodlogsplitters.com/bloodwood-series

What I have to do:
View attachment 18926
IMG_3595.JPG IMG_3743.JPG IMG_3701.JPG 9-2015 3.jpg Wood Rounds.jpg

RCBS

Redneck Savant Extraordinaire
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I rented one of these once:

Pretty slick. Dual lever setup that had detent for split stroke, then would auto detent return, so basically one hand movement for a full cylinder cycle. Made a serious pile of splits in just a few hours all by my lonesome.

S Tebo

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I rented one of these once:

Pretty slick. Dual lever setup that had detent for split stroke, then would auto detent return, so basically one hand movement for a full cylinder cycle. Made a serious pile of splits in just a few hours all by my lonesome.

Yup, that would work. Where did you rent it from? What company? Are they Regional or National?

Thanks!

S Tebo

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yup, that would work. Where did you rent it from? What company? Are they Regional or National?

Thanks!

I think I figured it out. I thought that Rayco was the manufacture (and maybe they are as well). I googled Rayco then entered my area and a link lead me here to Folcomer Equipment Corp. They are a retailer of Rayco, but i am waiting to hear back from them as to whether or not they rent splitters. Hey, it's a lead and a place to start, so thanks for that. Ideally, I'd like to rent one from a member so I am less constricted on time and rental availability but i will take what i can get at this point.

http://www.raycomfg.com/store-locations?type=All&country_id=US&region_id=31&region=

S Tebo

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I think I figured it out. I thought that Rayco was the manufacture (and maybe they are as well). I googled Rayco then entered my area and a link lead me here to Folcomer Equipment Corp. They are a retailer of Rayco, but i am waiting to hear back from them as to whether or not they rent splitters. Hey, it's a lead and a place to start, so thanks for that. Ideally, I'd like to rent one from a member so I am less constricted on time and rental availability but i will take what i can get at this point.

http://www.raycomfg.com/store-locations?type=All&country_id=US&region_id=31&region=

Unfortunately a no-go with the Rayco option. Local dealer says that they stopped making them several years ago and they stopped renting them when the parts were no longer available from the manufacturer. So dead end there... But Thank you for trying to help me. Any other rental leads that you (or anyone else) may suggest?

RCBS

Redneck Savant Extraordinaire
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry for late response...They are an Ohio based company and I rented it from my employer's equipment rental. I just wanted to see what it would do. The answer is a lot. Maybe look for Timberwolf brand splitters at a rental? They have some fancy high production models.

S Tebo

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Sorry for late response...They are an Ohio based company and I rented it from my employer's equipment rental. I just wanted to see what it would do. The answer is a lot. Maybe look for Timberwolf brand splitters at a rental? They have some fancy high production models.

Yea, I'm a bit Stumped at the moment with where to find one of these for rent- pun intended!

S Tebo

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
BTW- I have already gone down the road of quartering my big rounds with saws. I have plenty of saws and bars to do it with, CAD does have its advantages at times- Lol!. I do it more to start the drying process before I get time to split them than I do to reduce size/weight. In fact, I have about 20 large rounds that have been quartered that have been sitting here for about 3 months now. I don't mind the noodles, they make for a good base material to work on in my splitting area (less mud when it rains). Moving the material is not an issue. I have lots of way to move them; a tractor with a platform fashioned onto the rear 3pt. lift-arms (no hydraulics for a bucket on a Jubilee), ganged truck hood sleds, front 1/2 of an aluminum jon boat sled, and several dollies (I am also looking onto the "Logmule" or making one out of the yellow Harbor Freight dollie for 1/3 of the cost). Also the aluminum platform that I made covers the base of the splitter that bites into the rounds, so it's easy enough to dump a round onto the plaatform with a dollie and then spin it on the platform (sort of works like the Lazy-Susan effect). I have tried to make what I have as efficient as possible. But you still have to make many passes with the wedge and then toss the pieces onto a pile from a seated position. The idea of 1-2 passes and the wood dumps out the back into piles is much more appealing though (I guess that's why the cost so much- better designs, less work and faster speeds). I may try to add the wings onto my existing wedge to make it a 4-way. It would at least be a step in the right direction. They are not designed for my splitter though, so I would have to have some fabrication work done. I am still in search of a rental 4 or 6-way for rent though. I can't believe that there is not anyone in the MD, DE, PA, VW or WVA area that rents them. They have to be out there, it's just how to find them (besides Google)- thus my post to all of you guys. Most likely, they will be some mom and pop store and not a national chain and those people don't pay for Google ads. Anyone?

Thanks again,

Scott