Joe Kidd

I reckon so
GoldMember
Local time
1:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well my old FG2 is starting to go south with all the bronze bushings shot. So what's the latest and greatest filing guide now? One that will check rakers too? Either sharpen on the bar or in a chain vise?

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hard to beat the Stihl 2 in 1 for simplicity. It’s made by Pferd who also sells it in their blue version for about 25% less if you want to save some $. The bad part about it is that each chain size requires a different jig.

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
12:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hard to beat the Stihl 2 in 1 for simplicity. It’s made by Pferd who also sells it in their blue version for about 25% less if you want to save some $. The bad part about it is that each chain size requires a different jig.

Once you have it though about the only thing to wear out are the files and those are easily replaced.

sundance

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you're fond of the FG2, maybe have some replacement bushings made (I'd get a couple, setup would be the biggest cost). The FG2 is still sold in Europe I believe so a member there might be able to help with parts.

Granberg or Tecomac bar mounts are a similar option.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Keep in mind, these don’t work on skip chain. You’ll end up with rakers WAY to low, lol.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
7:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Full comp = Archer FastFiler roller guide
Semi/Full skip = Husqvarna roller guide

Both require a dedicated guide for each chain pitch You use.
The Husqvarna roller guide kinda won't fit just any chain brand, the Archer does.
Archer features side rollers to maintain angle and tooth length, Husqvarna does not.

Both are "roller" guides, their rollers will wear!
The rollers on the Archer can easily be replaced with new ones, either custom made or OEM. Not so sure regarding the Husqvarna rollers, but YES with some modifications made to the guide they'd be replaceable too.

The Archer FastFiler is a mostly plastic made guide, but it holds up very well and is forgiving when it comes to dimension differences between brands - over time it will have a sloppy fitment.
The Husqvarna guide is aluminum, as such it either fits or it doesn't - if it doesn't it needs to be made to fit by filing or grinding.

I am an Archer FastFiler fan, love those things.
I own spares and made my own replacement rollers.

Cheers

WCfirewoodguy

OPE Member
Local time
10:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So after all this time Wilheim, was wondering if you have come up with a way to file skip tooth chains with the Archer Filing guide? I read if it would have been made slightly longer then it would have worked for skip tooth chains as well. Not an expert on this stuff, more like a novice and I file by hand with a 7/32 file mostly. Thinking I might have to buy a Tecomeh or Oregon 511AX type of chain sharpener, Efco, etc, there are a few for sale in the 250$ range in my local area right now. Thanks for any thoughts either way. I use Skip tooth as mostly am cutting big douglas fir rounds into smaller pieces so I can lift them onto my truck! I have some ripping chain but am afraid to use that stuff unless it's on a mill setup.