Kawasaki FS481V Motor

S Sidwell

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When it dies, check for spark real quick while it's hot. Got spark, check to see it pump is pumping gas by pulling the line that feeds the carb and see if fuel pumps out while spinning over, works off crank case impulse. Can also pull the impulse line off and work it with your mouth. Needs pressure and vacuum to cycle the pump.

Steve, Samsung On5 using Tapatalk

S Sidwell

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If no spark, might be the ignitor going out. Had this happened before, when the ignitor cooled off, i had spark.

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good. You need to see if you are losing spark when it dies. Pull the air filter. Start it up. When it starts to die hit the intake with some starting fluid. If it picks back up and you can keep it going it’s a fuel issue. If it makes no difference it’s a spark issue.
Or at least a very good chance....

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OK. Will do.
This mower ran fine since I had it. Starts on first pull. Ran strong. Ran strong 2 weeks ago. I cut my lawn twice. No issues at all whatsoever. Until now. I started the mower made one pass, then the motor sputtered and died.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am really hoping it is just the vacuum fuel pump thingy. Easy to replace. Not sure what the life expectancy is of one of those are. I gots lots to do I guess. Lol

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hate to see anyone throw parts at a machine. Best if you can diagnose it. Easy way to tell if it’s the pump is feed it with a gravity reservoir.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I gotta take some time next week and open it up. I will check the pump. Pull the fuel line from the carb and put the line in a bottle and pull the engine over see if it pumps fuel. I gotta check for spark. If no spark it may be a coil.
WTF. Never ends. Lol

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I babied this machine too since I bought it new. Looks like it just rolled off the floor. Use only the best oil. Keep everything greased. Blades always sharp. Change oil, oil filter, fuel filter, plugs and air filter every year. All Kawasaki OEM. Not much I could do any better for preventative maintenance. [emoji17]

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I babied this machine too since I bought it new. Looks like it just rolled off the floor. Use only the best oil. Keep everything greased. Blades always sharp. Change oil, oil filter, fuel filter, plugs and air filter every year. All Kawasaki OEM. Not much I could do any better for preventative maintenance. [emoji17]

Sometimes things just fail. It’s not you Jeff. But no spark may also be one of many safeties... don’t jump to conclusions and throw money away...

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OK Thanks for all this help.

tickbitintn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It sure sounds like a fuel issue...
Probably something simple...
One of these suggestions is probably it...
She'll live again. [emoji846]

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

S Sidwell

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The ignitor is easy to check for getting hot and dying, spray cold water on it to cool it off, if you have no spark. When mine done it the third time, I hosed down the ignitor and cooled it off and got spark again til it got hot. $80 from John Deere, I liked to had a stroke.

S Sidwell

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good. You need to see if you are losing spark when it dies. Pull the air filter. Start it up. When it starts to die hit the intake with some starting fluid. If it picks back up and you can keep it going it’s a fuel issue. If it makes no difference it’s a spark issue.
Or at least a very good chance....
Don't use starting fluid, carb cleaner is safer, don't want to blow a cylinder head off with starting fluid, ether has a kick.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
LOL. Is the ignitor the coil?

S Sidwell

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Little square silver box mounted on the outside of engine, two or three wires going to it. About "1 1/2 square and maybe 1/2 thick. Honda also uses them, made a little different.

S Sidwell

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As was said, cheaper to check and test than throw parts at it. If it's a safety switch, disconnect the kill wires minus the shut off switch, may have to make a bypass wires so the system still has a loop to carry voltage, can get technical.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yup. I gotta get better at diagnosing.

S Sidwell

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not that hard, check the simple stuff first then work to the hardest stuff last.

Wood Chopper

So so sleepy....
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Jeff I just had this happen to my pos Kohler. Sounded like electrical. So I was just like you thinking it’s this or that or a coil or something. I took the carb off drained it blew it out put it back on and puured like a kitty. Water must have been blocking a passage way just enough where it ran really rough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk