davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
12:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Also, since I’m here I just got a 2175 from @Cat 525 that @huskihl ported. Only ran it a bit in small wood and she’s not quite a beauty queen but with the chain resting on the wood at idle, when I stabbed the throttle it tried to slam myself and the log together and chips exploded everywhere.:D I think she’s gonna be my new favorite.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh…@spike60 I have a burning question I’ve been meaning to ask. Is there an all metal vintage Jred 70-80cc saw that is closed port and will run with modern saws ported?

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh…@spike60 I have a burning question I’ve been meaning to ask. Is there an all metal vintage Jred 70-80cc saw that is closed port and will run with modern saws ported?

70E torque wise, but not chain speed wise. They're only supposed to turn 11,800 or there abouts. That's why they typically had 8 pin rims on them; looking for a little more chain speed.

On the 80cc side, a proper 830 will definitely keep up with anything in the 80cc class. I say proper because the case fed transfers we think of with the 830/930 were not on the early saws. The first of the 30's had the same top ends as the 20's. The service bulletin announcing this came out in early 1989, but did not include a serial number break, as it was announcing an impending change. These saws all run domed pistons, and they all had good compression out of the box. If you run across one with low compression, but see no scoring, it's likely because of the thin ring pistons they put in some of them. Not a problem cause there are decent AM pistons in both 52mm and 54mm.

Muffler mods aren't that easy on these things. There are 4 mufflers for the 900 series saws, but the one with the lower exit is the one to have. Just get rid of the box behind the baffle, and you're all done.

The 80 and 90 of course belong in here too.
Especially the 80, which owned the class back in it's day. But I've always been pretty much locked into the 800/900 family.

blackbruin

Heeeeeeere's Johnny!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Never heard about that one. Is that just a straight drop in?
No. I believe he had to modify the piston and make it a pop up. I know he cut squish and maybe the base etc.. I was planning on putting in new crank seals so i will take off cylinder and take some pics..it definately can outperform some ported and machined 372 oe's.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No. I believe he had to modify the piston and make it a pop up. I know he cut squish and maybe the base etc.. I was planning on putting in new crank seals so i will take off cylinder and take some pics..it definately can outperform some ported and machined 372 oe's.

Alan can pretty much make anything run good.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes Dave. They can be used and will not interfere with each other. But they will both be sitting higher and there will be less room between the cover and the handle. Will be a little tight for someone with big mitts, or anyone wearing gloves.
Thanks!

So swap the handles too?

(Borrowing parts from my parts 2166 to put a big filter on my ported 2175 which is actually a 2071)

Thanks

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, if you got one put er on there. If you run a 24" and up bar, the taller top handle balances out a little nicer IMO. I have one on a 2171 for that reason.

Battle Cross 2

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Also, since I’m here I just got a 2175 from @Cat 525 that @huskihl ported. Only ran it a bit in small wood and she’s not quite a beauty queen but with the chain resting on the wood at idle, when I stabbed the throttle it tried to slam myself and the log together and chips exploded everywhere.:D I think she’s gonna be my new favorite.
PXL_20230402_032304245.PORTRAIT.jpg
They don't have to be beauty queens. This 2095 came from @blackbruin . It's no shelf queen but it runs strong and that's really all I care about.
Little touch up and it's going to an island on the Susquehanna to clean up a big oak that blew down.