High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys Hockfire Saws

is STIHL the only one doing 4-mix and how does that make more power than 2-stroke?

r7000

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
4:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
- does any other OPE manufacturer produce a blower/trimmer/saw that is a 4mix like Stihl does?
- Stihl claims 4mix has more power, if so how come we don't see 4mix chain saws?
- I see online that no 4mix saws because they don't turn enough rpm, which I disagree with because if the power was there just make the sprocket larger to turn the chain at the necessary speed.
- and how do you get cleaner emissions, when you're still burning 2-stroke oil?

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cleaner because of 4 stroke tech. More power than a regular 4 stroke because it is crankcase charged like a 2 stroke, so it's kind of a supercharged 4. I don't know how the power compares, but it still probably doesn't match a 2 stroke.

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
4:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They're not 4 Mix, but for what it's worth; Makita has/had real 4 stroke blowers and trimmers/power heads. No mix oil required.
I have one of the multi tool power heads myself, and it does just fine. May be picking up a 4 stroke blower soon as well.
They make absolutely no sense, but that's kind of the fun of them.

CAMike

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Sloughfoot

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a Honda UMC435 with most of the Honda atttachments. It’s lower HP but it does have good torque. I change the crankcase oil once a year and it runs like great, now 7 years old. Once in a while I add a little 2 stroke oil to the fuel and it still doesn’t smoke. https://www.acmetools.com/honda-versattach-multi-tool-umc435laat/786102005630.html
I've got a Honda 4 stroke brush cutter that has a lifetime of use on it in 5 years. Never thought of putting some mix in the fuel. What's it do?

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does Stihl put a 4 mix motor on anything but a few trimmers?
Their higher power trimmers and blowers, here are a few benefits off of Stihl's website:
  • Familiar fuel mixture ratio (50:1)
  • Operates in all positions
  • Cleaner - reduced emissions
  • More power - high torque
  • Good acceleration - quick starts
  • Low fuel consumption
  • Favourable power-to-weight ratio
  • Compact construction - attractive design
  • Fewer vibrations
  • Low noise level
I have a FS 91R, works really good, though I wish I had gotten the version with the bike handles on it. Though if you are used to just 2 stroke engines and one of these 4-Mixes decides it doesn't want to start (won't fire at all), you need to check and make sure neither of the rods slipped off a valve.