High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Modifying airboxes alongside mufflers....I can't be the only one!!

Cerberus

Cerberus the aardvark, not the hell-hound!!
Local time
7:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
A couple of my units, the right-side one is most-visible (top of the airbox, that spray-painted-orange metal-mesh-grille covers an air-filter, all-other ports to the airbox are sealed so the filter gets maximal, clean air!)

19700307_151103.jpg
[lol yes I still put eyeballs on my saws, "Watch your hands/self!!" ;D ]
I've seen "Frog Skinz" used on some Stihl 6*0 builds (googling will show what I mean, basically it's just "Cut/grind an opening into the plastic airbox casing, line with a filtration-material, so that your airbox/air-filter can pull more air than before")

I've been doing this for a long time, to all of my saws....am still unable to understand why, on so many climbsaws, why the airbox is inside a "plastic coffin" I mean if you look those boxes/filters are often in a tightly closed place which, bad enough as that is, it's also under-vacuum from the flywheel area!!! I'd always figured that lil portage from the airbox area to the flywheel was pushing air **into** the airbox, giving you "pressurized air" (probably 'boosted' air, albeit 0.000000001lbs PSI lol), my brain just couldn't comprehend it when, curious what my new saw's "G-Force" feature was, I learned that those lil ports are actually PULLING-FROM the airbox not pushing-to it!!!! (link, set to exact second to show what I mean:
)

So......anyone modifying airboxes routinely? I see modding a chainsaw like most things, you "eliminate bottlenecks" and, sure, the muffler's an obvious one and people are right to want to unlock that power but, when the machine is being choked/bottlenecked both at the muffler **and** the airbox, doing 1 w/o the other is almost silly in fact I've done muffler-only mods and they didn't seem to do much more than making the unit louder, muffler & airbox on the other hand always makes a marked difference in both cut-speed *and* in how hard&fast I can bury a bar w/o bogging/stalling it out!!

Thanks a ton for any&all contributions here, know I'm not the only one doing this but would love to hear others' thoughts, see what you guys do to your airboxes, etc so thanks in-advance for any contributions here :)

(PS:
#1 - Running Lean: Had always tuned "to perfect-sounding, then richen a lil from there", because "that's best for the engine".....but, obviously, running leaner (to a degree!!) means more-power.....I imagine hot-saw guys have-to ride this line between maximizing the "bang-per-ounce" of their fuel while still ensuring it lubes/piston doesn't seize....for practical use, I get that slightly-rich is best if/when you want your saw to be good in 5yrs time, but have heard enough comments now from people along the lines of "Just slightly-lean isn't dangerous, maybe you'll lose compression 20% faster than you otherwise would've but you won't see a seizure, you're basically going to trade-off getting a small power boost at the cost of **some** longevity, say a 5-10% power bump for a 20% shorter product-life" Gotta say, I think I'd stop running-rich if I knew it wasn't that serious (already run canned fuel, would bump it to 45:1 in such a case...my 266 polesaw doesn't have H&L adjustments so after modding the airbox I held-off on the muffler, not wanting to finish my mods/have it "high-throughput" when I couldn't richen it, now I'm considering doing it anyway and seeing how long the engine runs in that quasi-lean state!)

#2 - Retailers/brands/sources for filter material? I'll use anything to line the holes I make in the airboxes, they only need to stop large particles, but the actual filter-element right-before my carb's intake, often the OEM ones are lackluster, would LOVE if I knew some sight that sold (and explained PPI/sizing!) proper filters so I could swap most of mine!!

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How much faster will the saw be when you defeat the air injection and the filter clogs faster ;)? Imo modifying the air box should only apply to old style filter setups with no air injection. Then it makes sense.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No doubt you could get better performance making them easier to breathe on both the exhaust and intake .Things like K and N type filters seem to work good .How much cutting the covers would actually help I'm not so certain of .

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That hand looks like it might be as clean and soft as Duratater's. :eyebrow2:

I'm really starting to wonder if as much as you harass that kid if you're the one that's queer.

Or do you still bone that girl that could pass for a guy ? Aka sponge bob square ass.

Last edited:

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Insert ’that escalated quickly’ meme...

Lol..he can handle it. He hates when I wash my hands. He likes greasy fingers..

Joking aside, I got these gorilla grip nitrile gloves I wear now when I wrench on *s-word. I was tired of hearing how I was gonna get cancer from chemicals.

I don't wanna ruin this guys thread. No derails, I actually wanna see what other guys do.

Last edited:

ucm931

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'm really starting to wonder if as much as you harass that kid if you're the one that's queer.

Or do you still bone that girl that could pass for a guy ? Aka sponge bob square ass.
lol, maybe the second one. But sssshhhhhh, I'm tryin to keep that under wraps!!!!

ucm931

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I like the frogskinz idea. I've seen a few other pictures of modded airboxes with it to cover the holes. How is the durability of it? Especially when climbing? Does it tear easy? Is it easy to replace?

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
1:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dolmar/Makita PS/DCS/EA-64xx/73xx/79xx AF cover that I modified.
The main goal was to incorporate the tach, the additional holes were added to make up for the loss of part of the factory intake gills.

IMAG0889.jpg IMAG0890.jpg IMAG0891.jpg

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Joking aside, I got these gorilla grip nitrile gloves I wear now when I wrench on *s-word. I was tired of hearing how I was gonna get cancer from chemicals.
Only if you wear them in California Ryan.

As for the Topic, I do see merit in opening the air box to keep the filter cleaner.

Run a saw with/without rear cover and see if it gains of loses. It’s usually not much different.

On 1128, I relieve the sealing ribs under the AF cover and a bit underneath like BonScott did above.

Not sure what the factory was thinking on some saws. Adding another vent keeps the airfilter much cleaner, even if it’s not needed for power.

On my own saws, I almost always put a Frogzskin on the cover, somewhere.