Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
12:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not a sudden thing by any means, but it sure seems like everyone thinks their junk is worth gold.

Marketplace has always been a go-to source for me to find a “deal” but the last several months, there are no deals to be had. At least not here. Is it a regional thing?

Where do you guys find your used saws worth purchasing, for a good price?

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
10:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Saw prices have always fluctuated seasonally with this time of year being more of a peak - People also list their stuff in the weeks before Christmas hoping to have some extra cash before the holiday.

Typically for deals - I'll hit garage/yard sales if there's any indication they have OPE and sometimes pawn shops. Once in a while, Craigslist can be a source of good deals but Ebay has fairly well screwed that up, like everything else. Some of my best finds have been at flea markets.

Motorka

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Only in husqvarna but prices of spare parts are crazy.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
11:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There hard to find it seems. I agree, ebay is crazy price wise.

What one guy calls a deal, another will say it was overpriced.

I just picked up two makita dcs 520i saws on marketplace for 225.00 plus 37.94 for shipping. For me, that's a good price if they run as good as claimed.

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I'm looking for a project I'll sometimes run an ad on Craigslist for non running saws wanted.
Once in a while I get a good deal. I bought my 357xp (scored, in pieces) and enough 266 pieces to almost make 2 saws for $50.
Rebuilt the 357, made 1 266 and gave it to my friends kid, and basically gave away the rest.
Then you'll get 12 replies that they have a poulan pro that kind of runs and have to get $200 for it..

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Saw prices have always fluctuated seasonally with this time of year being more of a peak - People also list their stuff in the weeks before Christmas hoping to have some extra cash before the holiday.

Typically for deals - I'll hit garage/yard sales if there's any indication they have OPE and sometimes pawn shops. Once in a while, Craigslist can be a source of good deals but Ebay has fairly well screwed that up, like everything else. Some of my best finds have been at flea markets.
Great advice!

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I'm looking for a project I'll sometimes run an ad on Craigslist for non running saws wanted.
Once in a while I get a good deal. I bought my 357xp (scored, in pieces) and enough 266 pieces to almost make 2 saws for $50.
Rebuilt the 357, made 1 266 and gave it to my friends kid, and basically gave away the rest.
Then you'll get 12 replies that they have a poulan pro that kind of runs and have to get $200 for it..
Another option I hadn’t considered, mostly because I see those adds posted around here from time to time and figure the junkies are just going to try and sell junk for high prices. But it’s encouraging to hear that it has worked for you.

Absolution

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
1:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you look prices of new saws went up .... like cars , old become expensive.

I think the larger issue is the price gouging on those newer saws.
I've seen a great deal of listings on *New* or used models selling for more than what dealers are wanting. Usually it's only 100-300 more but it's still unreasonable. When someone could just go to a dealer or order from a dealer for a saw with a warranty still in place.

There's even a 550xpg mk 1 on ebay at the moment for $1,200 which was the most atrocious and I hope that one is obvious enough that no one buys it.

Last edited:

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
Another option I hadn’t considered, mostly because I see those adds posted around here from time to time and figure the junkies are just going to try and sell junk for high prices. But it’s encouraging to hear that it has worked for you.
You clearly never bought something off a junkie. I bought an 044 off a junkie once super cheap years ago. They are usually highly motivated to sell shít quick. Come to find out it was a saw my buddy had stolen from him.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You clearly never bought something off a junkie. I bought an 044 off a junkie once super cheap years ago. They are usually highly motivated to sell shít quick. Come to find out it was a saw my buddy had stolen from him.
Makes sense. And no, I haven’t that I’m aware of.

Hoser

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Being known as a “saw guy” in itself is a good way to get them. 2159, 2 044’s a 455 Poulan and enough hardware store saws to fill a truck
There was a junkie selling a 500i and 462 on marketplace for $600 a piece that “was no longer needed”, morally I couldn’t do it

Duke Thieroff

Fill your hands you SOB!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We list parts saws for a "high" price on eBay, but we include the shipping cost inside the retail, and there's 15% fees on everything.

We keep this in mind when pricing, but are also open to offers. As the inventory sits for some time we begin to lower the prices.

Agent Smith

Hack of all trades
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
wanting hundreds of dollars, for absolutely crap ,
And people are paying those hundreds of dollars for absolute crap. Hell just saw a beat up 372 x-torq (no b&c) needing parts that gladly sold yesterday for $401 and some sell for more! IMO the now popular chainsaw hobby has alot to do with these prices we are seeing on selling platforms.

TheWizard

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
you often see saws on ebay (uk) for crazy prices, old 1980's saws going for double what they cost new and some not even working. Even if they are "working" you soon find out they are junk. It seems people now have more money than sense, maybe its the covid vax :rolleyes:

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know what you mean on prices. Found a rch twin on my Craig's list I think it was 600. To me that's a on the forum enthusiast prices. But around here if it says stihl mainly hut another name brand brings atleast 50% of new stihl stuff can be new prices or so close to new prices.