Trader history (1)

HumBurner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looking for used DVDs or other relative media pertaining to tree climbing. I know there are several series out there, but most of them are super-pricey new.

Thanks!

HumBurner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Awesome, thanks for the resources, David!

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
6:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
Looking for used DVDs or other relative media pertaining to tree climbing. I know there are several series out there, but most of them are super-pricey new.

Thanks!
What’s your goal with tree climbing? Recreation, hunting, or professional?

HumBurner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What’s your goal with tree climbing? Recreation, hunting, or professional?
Mostly personal and to have another skillset in the toolbox.

I work in the woods for a living and have groundied off/on several years in the past (RIP Micah) but never had an interest in climbing or learning the details of ropes, aside from running them up and down. No rock climbing experience either. I have free-climbed and limbed several trees, ranging from 15' up to ~80' up. I'm not wild about heights, but I can deal and adapt.

What really got me interested was when a local, and mutually-respected climbing company, showed up with a crew of six guys to a storm damage job for a long-term client we were cleaning up.

Two of them did LITERALLY nothing but sit and watch. Didn't run rope, didn't mess with saws, didn't move brush, etc. Another climber wore no PPE and almost took out there deck by doing unnecessarily risky cuts without proper roping or ground-control via a port-a-wrap that was in their truck. Their work ran between $7-8k for the day, which severely ate into our budget for the remaining cleanup (and a FLASH project that was also on the table, funds pending.)

So I realized, I could spend some time over the next year or three learning and training a bit at a time. I also have people within 2-3 hours drive that would be willing to give me some free one-on-one climbing....but that's a whole thing to setup and confirm. I rent on property that needs major amounts of fuels work and climbing/hazard mitigation that is basically not doable from the ground. I have other friends and clients who would love for me to train on their trees, with the opportunity to make a little bit of money [down the line.]

It certainly won't be the same as working full-time with the techniques and scenarios always running through my head.

I'm 36, going on 37. Still young, but after laboring since I was 15, my body is beginning to feel things. So again, I'm not looking to be some up and coming hotshot or make big bucks. It's a useful skill that would ultimately be more translatable outside of the woods and falling/fuel-reduction. It would also be handy at times on our jobs. Even just being able to set a choker higher if needed!

I've been looking at some climbing-sales outlets online, browsing their kits for folks like me that are a slightly darker shade of green than a total beginner, but even my limited experience won't be a solid base to start from.

Sorry for the long-winded post, but I felt the backstory was relevant, plus I woke up at 1:50am after not getting to sleep til 10:45 last nite!

Cheers!

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
6:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
Mostly personal and to have another skillset in the toolbox.

I work in the woods for a living and have groundied off/on several years in the past (RIP Micah) but never had an interest in climbing or learning the details of ropes, aside from running them up and down. No rock climbing experience either. I have free-climbed and limbed several trees, ranging from 15' up to ~80' up. I'm not wild about heights, but I can deal and adapt.

What really got me interested was when a local, and mutually-respected climbing company, showed up with a crew of six guys to a storm damage job for a long-term client we were cleaning up.

Two of them did LITERALLY nothing but sit and watch. Didn't run rope, didn't mess with saws, didn't move brush, etc. Another climber wore no PPE and almost took out there deck by doing unnecessarily risky cuts without proper roping or ground-control via a port-a-wrap that was in their truck. Their work ran between $7-8k for the day, which severely ate into our budget for the remaining cleanup (and a FLASH project that was also on the table, funds pending.)

So I realized, I could spend some time over the next year or three learning and training a bit at a time. I also have people within 2-3 hours drive that would be willing to give me some free one-on-one climbing....but that's a whole thing to setup and confirm. I rent on property that needs major amounts of fuels work and climbing/hazard mitigation that is basically not doable from the ground. I have other friends and clients who would love for me to train on their trees, with the opportunity to make a little bit of money [down the line.]

It certainly won't be the same as working full-time with the techniques and scenarios always running through my head.

I'm 36, going on 37. Still young, but after laboring since I was 15, my body is beginning to feel things. So again, I'm not looking to be some up and coming hotshot or make big bucks. It's a useful skill that would ultimately be more translatable outside of the woods and falling/fuel-reduction. It would also be handy at times on our jobs. Even just being able to set a choker higher if needed!

I've been looking at some climbing-sales outlets online, browsing their kits for folks like me that are a slightly darker shade of green than a total beginner, but even my limited experience won't be a solid base to start from.

Sorry for the long-winded post, but I felt the backstory was relevant, plus I woke up at 1:50am after not getting to sleep til 10:45 last nite!

Cheers!

Just wondered which direction to point you in. Two very good free online resources.

Patrick at educated climber goes by Muggs on the treebuzz forum.

Dan is also very approachable.

Buy this book from Patrick at educated climber. Some of the climbing methods are a bit outdated but Beranek pretty much wrote the climbers bible. Plus it’s worth it for the pictures alone:

Take a 6ish foot hank of good climbing rope and practice any climbing knots you don’t know. Practice until you can tie, dress, and set them quickly, correctly, and efficiently. Practice climbing techniques you learn low and slow at first. Master everything in that book and on those websites and you’ll know more than 99% of climbers out there.😉

HumBurner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just wondered which direction to point you in. Two very good free online resources.

Patrick at educated climber goes by Muggs on the treebuzz forum.

Dan is also very approachable.

Buy this book from Patrick at educated climber. Some of the climbing methods are a bit outdated but Beranek pretty much wrote the climbers bible. Plus it’s worth it for the pictures alone:

Take a 6ish foot hank of good climbing rope and practice any climbing knots you don’t know. Practice until you can tie, dress, and set them quickly, correctly, and efficiently. Practice climbing techniques you learn low and slow at first. Master everything in that book and on those websites and you’ll know more than 99% of climbers out there.😉
I appreciate the words and resources. I'll explore what I can tomorrow while having my truck gone-over.

My former buddy did that with a chunk of rope when he was encouraging me to learn; i think I still have it buried somewhere. I'm a stubborn goat-mudgeon but am trying to practice patience and malleability as I get older.

20230721_184733.jpg

This is my second copy. Gave the first one to a buddy when he was getting interested many years back. I'll be thumbing through it again, though I only ever looked at the non-climbing sections. I've also been going through Jepson's Climber's Companion. Gardening and tree work have taught me there's usually at least a hundred ways to do or approach something.

Thanks again, Woodpecker!