Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
2:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There goes the oil thread.....

I've given Ben "time off" in the past.....it never helped change the fact that he can't participate in a disagreement without insulting people.

Sadly, he's used up all of his "Get out of jail free cards".

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can’t accurately compare two saws without using the same log and the same b/c unfortunately. Even then there can be variables.
I know, but it gives you a good idea. X amount of power can only cut so fast in a certain size log with similar cutting equipment (3/8 chain, .050-.063 gauge, 7-8t rim...) I know I've had cut times vary by nearly 5 seconds just from slight variations in technique. The second video looked like the 500i was living up to it's 5kW output, which I just checked it right around where the 2188 should be power wise.

~WBF

Thecallofthewildanswered1989-2017[PAID IN FULL!]
Local time
8:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I mostly just watch the videos and don't pay much attention to the rest of it … good job Brad … RESULTS MATTER!!!
Me too. I don't need "number" "time" " info" compression. Just a nice demonstration is more than appreciated. I want to buy and run ported saws. I don't want to have to buy one with a compression tester and a stop watch?
Seems I can buy this without.
I just like a very reactive saw with a good sound. I can tell engine behaviour as if it was in my hands. There is only one question after that and that is: will it get me up in the morning,,every morning?
Yes.. Excellent build.

Last edited:

~WBF

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Seemed to have ruffled some feathers with a little wishful thinking.

I don't see why a hypothetical 10 cube *163cc saw 'couldn't' make 26hp *20kw. 125cc dirtbikes make up to 40hp. There's just too many variables to have a definate answer about output potential.

Nearly 5 cube / 5kw blah blah blah

It rounds up to a 5 cube class and most manufacturers fudge displacement numbers for marketing purposes anyway so I can see how it gets confused.

Not here to argue or get into a scientific debate.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk
Certainly no ruffled feathers on my end. Considering we had never talked then I do apologise for quoting with a one word negative response. It can easily be misconstrued when people don't know each other at least a bit. It is just not good enough on my end. I have high expectations of people so therefore...
-----------
"Scientific debate"
That would be hard to entry into as I am not an engineer on combustion engines as many are here but hit me up next week when my meds are out..you never know? Jk

What is the conversion? 3/4 of a KW = 1 HP.
So I am sure it can always be done in regards to having a lot more HP but at what 'cost'. Keek in mind it is a hand held equipment class. Weight dictates with chain saws. By the late '60's saws were coming out with a lot less power like 'the Canadian' Now you need a better chain to be easier on the less powerful *AND more delicate engine. (Skip chain) That's what saws were doing 50 yrs ago. The motto of the late '60s/ early '70s with the muscle cars in Pro stock with "win on Sunday..sell on Monday" I am a Chevy guy so besides the fuel injected 327 that had 375hp ('64 split window vette?) The peak of the small block HP was in ..I am thinking in 1971 at 370hp 350. Gas shortage by 1973 changed all that. In 1978 they were putting 350 in vans with 160 HP.
We could all have "wishful thinking" but the pri

*Edit.. oops.. didn't know it posted.
So that's where it went.. lol

Part2 coming up...

Last edited:

blsnelling

Friend of the Riff Raff
Local time
3:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
tenor.gif
ASHkk9d6Zd4cpr9r5

~WBF

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Seemed to have ruffled some feathers with a little wishful thinking.

I don't see why a hypothetical 10 cube *163cc saw 'couldn't' make 26hp *20kw. 125cc dirt bikes make up to 40hp. There's just too many variables to have a definate answer about output potential.
Part 2.."the new begining"
Sure it is fine to have wishful thinking and as you have pointed out that much greater HP can be achieved with smaller displacement 2 stroke engines as in dirt bikes. I suppose the main difference being the fact is they are not near as bound to the 'limits' as pointed out above with cars and saws such as fuel with cars and weight this saws. As to say you don't carry the motor bike so you can build engines of a greater integrity with added weight.
A buddy owned a saw shop and ported saws. He had a contract close to his shop cutting up mainly 4'×8' bundles of 1"×2"
Bundled cedar beams too. They would get unloaded off the train to be cut and back on the train and go to the States.
They were kiln dried packs so you needed full house chain with the 1"by 2" . He had a 72" bar with a tail handle set up. If I was in town visiting then he would pay me $2 a cut to run the power head. Long story short. You could go through engines with the 3120 before you could go through chains. They were sure nice to run but they couldn't take that kind of work for long. So next time I showed up he told me he got sick of rebuilding them and started using his 090 and never looked back. Big part of the problem is when the 'lay out crew' doesn't set the dunnage close enough to the centre and the half's fold in into the chain and you try to power through it. Sometimes you just got to give up things .... like integrity? The freedom of a much lighter and smoother saw? or friendships. Lol
I only ran that 090 once. Not my thing.

Last edited:

~WBF

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Age is a hell of a thing........
apparently. You should have met some of the salty people I have worked with. Nah I suppose the patience's becomes less in many ways with age. When falling timber then it's just you and your saw then that's the best and you want your saw to be just so. That's your meditation. Sometimes I had to go through "47 miles of barbed wire and wear a cobra snake for a necktie" just to get there.
'it' gets old. 'it' gets tired. In my early 20's a would get a new saw to pick up my spirits when I was tree spacing for months on end and Mother nature never stoped a days work.

So.......is a derail on the table now? LOL
I hope so because I have never apologised so much as a celibate, single man in my life. I'm sorry.