Improving my health

Funky sawman

Pony Power
Local time
11:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So, I'm about 75 pounds overweight and too sedentary as are most people in the west nowadays. I'm almost 46 and I know that now is the time to start getting my health under control. I've been on diets before and lost weight which was then gained back. As have most of us.

So, I'm thinking of taking a new approach to my health. More exercise and somewhat better food choices, but not "dieting" as we usually do. I think that pursuit of lower weight, and all the backsliding and disappointment that comes with it, is setting me up for failure. After all, better health is really the goal, isn't it? We have a Peloton bike/laundry rack at home. I got on it for 30 minutes today and it felt good to just get my muscles moving.

I know that being overweight isn't conducive to better health, and I would be better off if I wasn't. But it's time to face facts. I'm probably going to be overweight the rest of my life, so I have to be as healthy as I can be in spite of it. Does this make sense? Have any of you ever decided to get healthy without making weight loss an overarching goal?
I'd be happy to take some of your weight 😆. Been trying to gain and it's a struggle. Eating 250g of protein, 500 carbs and 6000 calories a day and I can't gain a pound.
The struggle is real for all of us trying to improve. The most important part is stay positive and goal focused 🙏

Squareground3691

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd be happy to take some of your weight 😆. Been trying to gain and it's a struggle. Eating 250g of protein, 500 carbs and 6000 calories a day and I can't gain a pound.
The struggle is real for all of us trying to improve. The most important part is stay positive and goal focused 🙏
Yea genetics and metabolism are 70% of our makeup, rest is up to us,

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

1000001881.gif

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yea genetics and metabolism are 70% of our makeup, rest is up to us,

I'm blessed/cursed to be able to gain or lose quickly. If I stick to intermittent fasting 100% and still eat a generous supper every night I'll be down 40 pounds by 2025. But I could also go the other way if I'm not careful. Summer of 2023 I got down to 279 and was back up to the 320's by spring of this year. I

I don't know what an ideal weight for me would be, I'm aiming for 225. For a time in high school when I played basketball and worked on a golf course I was 6'3 (as I am now) and 190. My arms and legs were toned but I still had a belly and manboobs.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Last week I had a little scare. I apparently had indigestion and aspirated some while I was asleep. Woke up and felt like I was trying to breathe through a straw and had a really acidic taste in my mouth. Took a few minutes to catch my breath. I have sleep apnea, and had not been using my machine like I should. So, I got back on it and have been sleeping alot better so far. The cardiologist wants me to do a titration study so will be getting that done.

Squareground3691

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Last week I had a little scare. I apparently had indigestion and aspirated some while I was asleep. Woke up and felt like I was trying to breathe through a straw and had a really acidic taste in my mouth. Took a few minutes to catch my breath. I have sleep apnea, and had not been using my machine like I should. So, I got back on it and have been sleeping alot better so far. The cardiologist wants me to do a titration study so will be getting that done.
Yea , don’t mess around, use that machine no joke ,

John Wargo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I sleep like crap without my machine. Had a colonoscopy this morning. So i slept on the couch last night and woke up numerous times gasping for air. Doctors removed 2 polyps and sent them out for testing. But said they didn't appear bad. Fingers crossed

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I definitely sleep better with it. The biggest obstacle is, I've always slept on my belly probably because of sleep apnea. Sleeping on my back feels about like trying to sleep standing up with my eyes open! My doc adjusted the pressures on it and that seems to be helping.

John Wargo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I definitely sleep better with it. The biggest obstacle is, I've always slept on my belly probably because of sleep apnea. Sleeping on my back feels about like trying to sleep standing up with my eyes open! My doc adjusted the pressures on it and that seems to be helping.
What is the flow rate on your machine? Mine is 8.5 . Feel like it should be slightly higher