Improving my health

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks guys. I did a total of 20 km on the bike yesterday in 5k increments. I slept better and woke up more easily so I'm already feeling some benefits. Me and jogging/running don't get along, but I do enjoy walking. During hunting season I mostly stay on foot and can cover several miles in a hunt.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
12:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bingo. Sugar is the enemy, not fatty foods like the AHA wanted everyone to believe. There’s a really good documentary about it called “Fed Up” that explains how the sugar industry paid off reports to be printed in their favor, even though they knew they were to blame for obesity and high rate of diabetes in America.
There is something to eating less sugar.

I know multiple people who have lost a lot of weight just by dropping as much sugar as possible out of their diet.

My dad lost 40 lbs just from dropping sugar from his diet. He does absolutely no exercise other than working. The only thing he changed was sugar intake.

Low sugar and carbs but a high meat based protein diet will shed the fat and add muscle at the same time.

nbbt

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
1:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
There has many great suggestions here. You got to remember that everyone's body is different. What works for some may not work for you. I'm fortunate, I pretty much eat and drink whatever I want. The people on here that have meet me at gtgs can attest that I am scrawny. I have a physical job and all my hobbies are active. Weather permitting I try to walk 6 plus miles every day. Try to stay away from carbs. I eat cheeseburgers all the time but I don't eat the bun. The biggest thing for me is, just move, stay physical active.
You had me till I read try stay away from the carbs. HaHa. To the Point . . .

It's all about having enough activity to process/burn off all that you consume, including carbs.

Reactions: Lnk

av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Quitting Alcohol a few years back was a big benefit for me. I lost about 10 lb. with no other lifestyle change. I was a very heavy drinker, though.
I was gonna mention that. I too was a heavy drinker for several years and when I stopped drinking I shed 60 lbs the following year, only other lifestyle change was more water. Had to make up for the liquor, lol. Seriously, I went from 265 to just over 200 and have hovered around 195 ever since. I went from not being able to see my dick to looking not too shabby. I don’t drink at all now and have always felt better for it. I remember the first night I went to bed w/o a drink and was scared to death I wouldn’t make it. But I did, was lots easier than I imagined. If you drink any at all, stop. Alcohol converts to more sugar than your body can deal with so it just stores it as fat, or something like that. I wish you the best of luck!

bucketofguts

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Keep moving. Cut back on everything. Seldom eat out. Cook fresh in season. Very little alcohol. Talk with your family MD. A weight training program low weight high reps. A garden. Your shadow with a hoe in your handis good for you. Good luck! Oh yea, set goals.

EFSM

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Walking is one of the best exercises anyone can do.
About the only thing better is swimming, which puts very little stress on joints but burns energy like crazy.

Yes, we are America, where the phones are getting smarter and thinner while people are getting fatter and dumber.

SCHallenger

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bingo. Sugar is the enemy, not fatty foods like the AHA wanted everyone to believe. There’s a really good documentary about it called “Fed Up” that explains how the sugar industry paid off reports to be printed in their favor, even though they knew they were to blame for obesity and high rate of diabetes in America.
I would say that the sugar industry is not to blame for obesity any more than the cigarette industry is to blame for lung cancer. We ourselves are to blame for overuses & uses of known harmful products. Lots of very good advice in this thread. I would only add to do things in moderation. Trying to do too much too soon can be a prescription for failure. Avoid the stress of over achieving, & you find it much more doable to be more consistent with whatever changes you put in place. A little less time on the internet or driving, if possible, or watching football, etc. will free your mind & body for better things. Best of luck with your quest for a healthier life! When we were born, we were only given time, nothing else!

nbbt

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I added in more walking as has been mentioned by others.
I'm currently at between 1.5 and 2 miles at a time, and the results are easily notable.
I do have a carb or two from time to time, but try to balance it out with more activity.
Ultra processes foods (high fructose corn syrup, on the top of the list) has been eliminated, as they sneak it into a lot of products and beverages.

redneckhillbilly

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
my dad was over 300lbs, he lost 80 lbs by cutting sugar and bread, he also would drink a big glass of water the very first thing in the morning, he said it jumpstarts the metabolism or something.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
my dad was over 300lbs, he lost 80 lbs by cutting sugar and bread, he also would drink a big glass of water the very first thing in the morning, he said it jumpstarts the metabolism or something.
Getting enough water is a big deal. I drink over a half gallon in a typical working day. More if hotter, etc.. I drink a glass each morning as well, and also a glass before bed.

Lnk

Not Getting Any Rain
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Getting enough water is a big deal. I drink over a half gallon in a typical working day. More if hotter, etc.. I drink a glass each morning as well, and also a glass before bed.
I drink a glass of water before bed too. Helps to get my daily step count up, with that early morning bathroom trip. Lol

bradb123

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You had me till I read try stay away from the carbs. HaHa. To the Point . . .

It's all about having enough activity to process/burn off all that you consume, including carbs.
Hey Ken, the carb intake I was referring to was food. You know there's no way in hell that I'm giving up all that Point Beer I drink every night. I'm enjoying some by the fire this evening, cheers!

Attachments

• 20240706_175243.jpg
    20240706_175243.jpg
    275.4 KB · Views: 4

Sloughfoot

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
11:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do some number of push ups, sit ups, squats........ every day. 10. 20. 50. whatever. Doesn't matter if you do 2 at a time or 10, long as you get to that number each day. Bump it up when you do all in one rep with gusto.

And walk. You gotta walk.

Reactions: Lnk