Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
3:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On a powerful saw I like to cut cookies as thick as required to have both inner and outer spikes engaged against the log, that is usually about a inch or so.
Those cookies will dry fairly quick and serve well as regular firewood once broken down in size if needed.

But on occasion I will go much thinner, it all depends how the chain, saw and log interact - having a perfectly straight cut will allow for almost paper thin cookies.

Here is a clip of mine in a semi dry large beech log, my PS-7300 and a play chain - the cookies were fairly thin, great for kindling.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
6:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That video brought a question to my mind. What and how much is affected by the increased distance between the raker and cutter when a chain is close to the end of it's service life?

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That video brought a question to my mind. What and how much is affected by the increased distance between the raker and cutter when a chain is close to the end of it's service life?
I just know the chains cut faster the shorter the teeth are.
Kerf width decreases significantly, also more room for the wood chips.

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Someone on here posted a magic degree number.
I'll try and type this how it registers in my head.

A new chain.
Lay a straight edge from top of raker to top of cutter.
Measure the degrees.
When that same chain is worn, the length from cutter to raker is longer.
So now that same magic degree number will result in a lower raker.

I always new I could go deeper and cut faster with a worn chain.
The guy that posted this info helped me understand "why". Least I think so.

Don't remember who, or the degrees, or even measured the angle.
Just know that efficient and safe is good.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When You have but one last log left in Your yard and don't plan on getting a new load soon, then cookie cutting allows much more bucking cuts and gives more "life" out of the remaining log.

Also, showing the performance of a saw or chain is much more convenient when cutting cookies as one doesn't move away from the camera as one would bucking to firewood length.

I burn the cookies and I collect the wood chips for animal bedding.
Right now I am down to one jumbo bag of wood chips and even that one wouldn't exist if I hadn't hauled additional wood chips from bucking jobs other than my own.

If getting a nice sized log is an issue, cut Your cookies as thin as possible to preserve the log You have.
If getting logs is not an issue cut Your cookies 1/3" thin and upwards.
If You want to utilize Your cookies for anything else than firewood and kindling cut them over 1" thick, stack them one atop another somewhere cold and cover them with a tarp or wood chips to additionally slow down the drying process.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Gonna have to bust out some worn chain to play with.
Are You going round or square?

Take some of the rivet heads off, they cause drag on a triangle tooth chain.

Don't bother with worn semi chisel chains, kill them on a stump removal job.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Speed demon! :)

As far as I understand cookie cutting was not the intended purpose of the two bar mount options.
I believe the outer mount was for flush cutting and the inner mount for regular bucking - or something like that.

Funky sawman

Pony Power
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like cutting 16'6" or 33 foot cookies, they bring in the most buck without wood waste, less cutten too so my poor saws don't wear out so quickly

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cookies more or less are just for testing except in a race condition over cants .The thinner the better for speed .Even for a test run they still burn just fine you just have more chips left over .I used to give a buddy hickory chips which he used to smoke meats, fish etc .

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like cutting 16'6" or 33 foot cookies, they bring in the most buck without wood waste, less cutten too so my poor saws don't wear out so quickly
I got to thinking about that the other day. Firewood guys might actually be putting more time on their saws with all the cutting 16" vs 16'....

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know my project lately removing trees in the country I've only used the saws a tiny bit compared to in town. Two cuts per tree. One to fell, one to take the top off, drag them away. Deuce gets used a lot more. Only one cut if smaller tree.

In town I cut into bitty pieces to hand haul off out of yards, and for firewood, lot more cuts.

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
What are you guys burning those cookies in as firewood? That would be less convenient than slabs, already a hassle, to use for firewood in either of my wood burning stoves. If just using them for camp fires I can get it. I don't really understand the point of cutting a bunch of cookies, unless you have a buyer lined up.