I killed my Tree Monkey 066 in 6 cuts

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
8:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes I backed out the LA screw about 1/8 turn. I was assuming this was idle as the 2 screws above are high and low carb screws right?
The LA screw shouldn't have really affected much by turning it 1/8 turn. The LA screw is usually just to help in starting and to stop the chain from turning at idle speed. The "L" screw is for the idle.

http://www.madsens1.com/saw_carb_tune.htm

I would contact Tree Monkey and see what he says.
@tree monkey

Last edited:

huskytime

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
20161009_220411.jpg So this is the pic ya'll are looking for with the scored piston.

My only experience with ported saws is my 550xp. One of the reasons I went that direction was the auto tune... no room for user error.

In my limited saw tuning experience the low is easier to tune. The throttle response was good. On the high, it had that 4 stroking burble at full throttle out of the cut. But obviously it was running lean.

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow!! I couldn't sleep so tuned in to find this. I don't know what to say. Wolverine is correct. Thats the last time it was run. Before that I put it in an oak log for about 4 cuts. Scott told me it likes about 13.3k and thats what I relayed to you. I third that, contact Scott. With that little run time on it something is wrong. Let me know what he says please!

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
5:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I'm used to seeing not so fresh fuel mix or foreign debris cause this type of scoring. Usually a full lean meltdown from improper tuning will have far more surface area scored up than that.

I would hope that if one of my saws ever had this problem that the person would contact me before ever advertising it.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
As has been suggested ....I also think best practice would be to contact Tree Monkey and.. NOT !!!.. to strip the saw other than the muffler .
It is helpful to be able to see the saw in the state its in for the builder.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Call Scott and send him the saw.

No matter how good a builder you are (and Scott is a legend) shít happens sometimes.

Let him diagnose it and see what it will take to get it going again.

Sure looks like foreign debris rubbing the piston to me.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
20161009_220411-jpg.36821
It appears this saw has ingested something it can't digest.