Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
5:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Checking out one of the included videos looks like lung cancer city!
I would like to see this video................

LAWN BOY

Pothole
Local time
3:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wonder how one of these would do on a log splitter, what's the max RPM?
I think there’s a YouTube video of a guy with one of these on a wood splitter. Supposedly max room is 3,000.

LAWN BOY

Pothole
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would like to see this video................

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
like most B&S engines :BangHead:
Well maybe for some but I have a generator that I bought due to our straight line winds in July 2008. I had to have it to keep (4) freezers of our farm raised beef, pork, lamb, chicken, and turkey nice and frozen from going. We had no power for a week. It has a Briggs gasser. All it has ever had in it is "corn gas" and fires right up. I fire it up once every two years or so and run it a few minutes.

LAWN BOY

Pothole
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree with Bill, Briggs aren’t bad, well some are. I at one time had 3 blown up single cylinders 11-12.5hp sitting in my scrap pile, 1 randomly lost compression shortly after I got it, another I received locked up and PO said it went bang, the other I received with no compression and an oil leak. I like the opposed twin Briggs tho, my main and first lawn tractor, the Murray in my profile pic, came with a nice running 14hp but it leaked a bit of oil, then I got an excellent running 19.5hp for free and put that in and it’s been super reliable for years. My dad bought a brand new Whacker neuson generator 20 ish yrs ago, it’s seen lots of use as he used to do construction and it powered his cabin almost all the time for a while, it came with a 16hp Briggs vanguard storm which still runs awesome. My neighbor has a simplicity lawn tractor that he does not maintain at all, but it’s 14hp Briggs vanguard stays running with no air filter cover and no oil changes. My dad and I change the oil in all our equipment annually. And I’ve heard good about the old lists Briggs 3hps like on my vintage push mowers which I haven’t gotten running yet. My grandpa bought a new Speeco wood splitter many years ago and it came with a Briggs but I forget what happened but it was major so they put a Honda on it which has been crazy reliable ever since, my dad has it now, Hondas are super good.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I truly do wonder why folks think small diesel engines are so great.

farminkarman

I like the red & black ones
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I truly do wonder why folks think small diesel engines are so great.
If they don’t have pressurized lubrication on the bottom end, they won’t live very long. The ones that will actually pay for themself are very expensive and they need to run for a lot of hours to hit that break-even over a gasser.

Stem

Professional Cup Stacker
Local time
6:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
old & "vintage" B&S are decent, but the newer stuff is garbage. but... I'm also a Kohler fan.

in all reality, maintenance plays a big part in how long stuff is gonna live.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Go price a rebuild on a Deere Gator with a diesel.

EFSM

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hondas are super good.
There is a good reason that other brands find it hard to get a foothold on the commercial horizontal shaft market.
Honda's quality control is fantastic. Combine that with good quality steel, plastic, and aluminum, and it makes for a real workhorse. It's really amazing how little the GX lineup has changed since the 90's.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There is a good reason that other brands find it hard to get a foothold on the commercial horizontal shaft market.
Honda's quality control is fantastic. Combine that with good quality steel, plastic, and aluminum, and it makes for a real workhorse. It's really amazing how little the GX lineup has changed since the 90's.
What model Honda 5HP OHV horizontal had the plastic cam gears?

redneckhillbilly

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am curious if that 3hp diesel makes more torque than a 3hp gas motor, maybe a 3 hp diesel is equivelant to a 5 or 6 hp gas motor.

I like the idea of having small diesel motors as options to repower some equipment, I am waiting till more info comes out before I jump into playing with one.