huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
7:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They won’t fit under the hood. To use the updated 562 filter holder on a 550 carb you’ll need to do some clearance work for the high idle lock flipper
Makes sense.

Flip

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I spent the afternoon with a heat gun and broom handle and made it fit, not pretty but it fits. I took it off and went back to the old style holder with 555 filter because I cut mostly green hardwood and the old setup is more than enough for my needs.

IMG_20201213_141206466.jpg IMG_20201213_141344308.jpg

Vinpie1

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
5:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I spent the afternoon with a heat gun and broom handle and made it fit, not pretty but it fits. I took it off and went back to the old style holder with 555 filter because I cut mostly green hardwood and the old setup is more than enough for my needs.

View attachment 327491 View attachment 327492
Thanks for the update and pictures!

upstateamish

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, this could get real interesting. So far, we are only talking about first generation saws. In theory, this might also work on the new M2 545 and 550. But someone will have to run through it to see if everything fits as luckily as it turned out with Flip's saw. I haven't even seen the intake ports on the new M2's yet cause we've yet to take one apart. Just haven't seen one fail yet. The M2 filter set up is WAY better than the early 550 or 562, so it would be nice to keep that if possible.

Guess we need a volunteer don't we?

Thanks for sharing this thread!
I pulled the trigger on a 2019 - 550xpg Mark II from ebay that was sold with stalling issues off off idle. When it arrived I checked things out, pulled the muffler and the piston looks pretty decent, no scrapes and seems to have decent compression.

But the saw it's self was pretty dirty so I pulled things apart to clean it:
- One of the clips that hold the cover on were broken.
- Muffler was missing a lower bolt & the chain brake was missing the parts that made the chain.... brake.
- The coil appears that it had Foreign Object Debris (FOD) go through it and bent it up a bit. So bent things back together, filed down where there was a rough spot and seems to have decent spark.
- Pulled the flywheel and clutch and seals on both sides looked decent (and the chassis passed a leakdown/pressure test.)
- The carb however did not pass pressure/vacuum testing. It was an AT16 847 carb and I bought a carb kit but it did not fix the leak. (the electrical part of the carb also had some damage)
- I haven't had a chance to take it in to my dealer to see what my experience might be to try and reflash it.
- Pulled the cylinder and confirmed the piston / ring are not stuck and there the cylinder has no surprises. Head gasket was deteriorating so I ordered a new one.

Put things back together and it would start and idle fine, but when you hit the throttle would bog out and die (like it was starving for fuel...)
So I checked:
- fuel lines all hold pressure
- bought a new tank vent
- put a new fuel filter on it

No change so it looked like I'd buying parts... I saw this thread I thought "why not try building a hybrid" with a 562 carb

I was able to source a EL44 562xp carb & intake boot and a few other bits (like parts for the chain brake that were missing.) I got the parts and mocked things up, a couple adjustments needed for the new intake to bolt up. I had to drill two new upper bolt holes and hand filed down the alignment pins to get the bottom bolt holes to line up. (remmeber to protect the rubber of the intake base to do this, I used duct tape.) The impulse hole doesn't match up 100% and I haven't ground anything yet. I have made a gasket to let me get the intake boot and cylinder together and sealed (And this let the impulse line get impulse to the carb)

Based on how ... tight things are with the rubber intake boot I this was something I did on a drill press and vice, I wouldn't recommend free-hand drilling it. I made a dry paper gasket from some gasket material I have (but I think it won't be nessasary later on when I get the holes matched up.)

I've put things together, the EL44 carb has a different fuel line angle, so I've ordered a new fuel line to address that, but have a temp mock up with a bit of fuel line and an 90 degree elbow that fits where the old (new style) line currently runs.

I've attached a few of the pics showing the 562 intake + where things are lining up with a paint marker where I'll need to grind once I am happy that the stalling when I hit the throttle is taken care of. PXL_20220407_220457645.MP.jpg PXL_20220407_220514128.MP.jpg PXL_20220407_220521674.MP.jpg PXL_20220407_220527162.MP.jpg PXL_20220407_223212554.MP.jpg

upstateamish

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Part 2:

Once back together the engine started and idled fine... but still bogged out and stalled when I hit the throttle

I did more troubleshooting and concluded that either the coil or (most likely) the ECU part of the carb was not working as expected. I was able to source a used 550xp mark II carb (AT16 947) & coil the seller claimed were from a 'runnning saw' so I took the chance on them. They arrived today and I swapped them out with what was on the saw (the new 'used' coil and the ECU part of the carb to the EL44 562 carb.

Now the saw starts, idles great and I was able to run full throttle and do the procedure to reset the autotune (tip in wood for 3 minutes or so)

Seems to pull quite hard!

Once I run it for a little bit to ensure the gremlins are worked out of it I'll be doing some mild work to match up the intake openings and was planning to do a thinner base gasket (drop the squish to .020 or so) I am new to porting so I'll probably try my hand on a couple other saws before I do much more than that with this one.

PXL_20220407_232525466.MP.jpg PXL_20220408_012958513.jpg PXL_20220408_023326378.jpg

upstateamish

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh, final part list for my swap:
- 562xp Carb
- 562xp intake boot
- in my case, the EL44 carb is the old style carb so I have an old style gas line on order to replace my test fitting fuel extension.
The 550xp air filter appears to bolt right up (although right now there is a small bit of rubbing I'm going to need to check on when engaging the choke.) It engages but is stiff.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How much gain did you get with the new parts vs old?

upstateamish

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's a good question, and one I'm curious about as well. Unfortunately it never ran right so I don't have a baseline with the original 550xp hardware (and that was why I ordered the 562 stuff.)

Now that I've got a known ecu / coil which work, I'll pull things apart & replace the 550xp parts to get some baseline cuts.

I'd also like to see if it's the ecu or the carb that's bad.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Usually when it’s the carb, it’ll run well enough to cut wood but might act wonky. The ones I’ve seen with bad coils either had no spark, or would idle but not rev up

upstateamish

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did some brush clean up and ran a tank of gas of gas through it last night with the 562xp carb and intake boot on it.
Seems to run decent, but I noticed if I allowed it to idle for a minute or two however it bogged out until I blipped the throttle a couple times. I think someone in this thread mentioned that fuel pooling might occur without the port matching?
Next step will be swap the 550xp stuff back on and do the same test to see if it's got similar results.

I'll have to get a log I can use for comparison cutting between the two carb/intake setups.