7444d7b0f83dc734a995f74518bcb73e.jpg
He spelled Boner wrong...

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
3:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
The permatex sealant has a 4 hr cure time before use. That's obviously worst case. It had 2-3 hrs before starting.
And I've never had a problem with it with less time. It's so thick and gooey that it's not going anywhere.
I use dirko and never wait for it to cure.

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
3:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Same for me with Motoseal. A 2 series husky can be running about 20 minutes after the cylinder is on
However long it takes to finish assembling the saw after the cylinder is how long I wait for dirko to cure,10 or 15 min.
I rarely use sealor though,it's nasty and it stinks but dirko is the best I've used so far.

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
4:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use 518 or the permatex copy and I don't wait on them to cure for 24 hours.
The load on that seal can't be anything as crazy as combustion side right? It's involved in the lower half where intake charge comes up transfers it keeps that charge from leaking out jug base to case seam right?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The load on that seal can't be anything as crazy as combustion side right? It's involved in the lower half where intake charge comes up transfers it keeps that charge from leaking out jug base to case seam right?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Right. It might be 2 lbs of pressure. Most saws won't have an air leak with no sealer.

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yup, some guys are overly anal, IMO, and that's fine. It doesn't hurt anything if they want to wait, or replace bearings that are still good, or polish their saws with shoe polish, whatever.
I honor their passion, but mine will be directed elsewhere

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yup, some guys are overly anal, IMO, and that's fine. It doesn't hurt anything if they want to wait, or replace bearings that are still good, or polish their saws with shoe polish, whatever.
This is no place for that sort of blasphemy

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was polishing some saws up today with old skool Red Armor. The detergent in it is invaluable for cleaning plastic. And the esters leave behind a shine that is unsurpassed.

I ran out and switched to the new stuff without ester. Not nearly as impressive of a finish.

Just so we all know

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was polishing some saws up today with old skool Red Armor. The detergent in it is invaluable for cleaning plastic. And the esters leave behind a shine that is unsurpassed.

I ran out and switched to the new stuff without ester. Not nearly as impressive of a finish.

Just so we all know

You're going to have to teach me this psp thing Kev. I just can't comprehend it...
Lol

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I made some corrections to the posts above mainly that the washer shown over the oiler actually goes over the thin metal cover that covers the oiler setup. The washer protects that thin metal cover and oiler under it from the clutch drum and rim sprocket. I checked it this eve to make sure it's right and it is -- it's actually pretty hard to mess up you would never get the metal cover over the oiler if that washer was under it.

Did a few more things tonight before I hand the saw back to Tom tomorrow -- compression test:

IMG_20170219_205742766-X2.jpg

A respectable 170 PSI. Not sure if it's much better than one with a base gasket installed or squish brought down some but I'll take it!

IMG_20170219_204726039-X2.jpg

And that washer is right where it belongs between clutch and metal oiler cover. I should have double checked torque on the case bolts while I had the clutch off. I double checked all other fasteners and all is well.

IMG_20170219_212304410-X2.jpg

Above is the mesh type air filter I switched to -- I like it much better than that paper thing that looks like it's always caked with crap.

IMG_20170219_212823521-X2.jpg

And a better shot of the opened up deflector with spark arrestor screen gone. Hopefully the top cover won't get too beat up like this but this is a work saw where cool as in temperature is more important than cool as in looks ;) She's not a shelf queen.

That's all for tonight gents.

KenJax Tree

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

Just so we all know

[emoji1]

Derf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMG_20170219_212304410-X2.jpg

Above is the mesh type air filter I switched to -- I like it much better than that paper thing that looks like it's always caked with crap.

That's all for tonight gents.

All very cool, Eric.
One thing I wanted to mention, Husqvarna recommends the "flocked" filter for normal use - that's the one that always looks caked with crap. It actually is a good filter material, if you keep it clean. They recommend the mesh one for winter cutting as it's less prone to clogging in cold weather due to frost. It also is not as good at stopping fines from entering the carb, so that's why they don't recommend always using it. In either case, the flocked and mesh might flow air a smidgen differently in my mind, so the tune might change a hair. Probably not enough to worry about any of it, but I just thought I'd bring this up, you know, for the anal guys who like waiting 24hrs and stuff.