High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Hunting hogs in Tennessee

Iggy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Hey everyone, in mid May I will be going to Tennessee for a family vacation. We will be staying near Gatlinburg. I have not looked too far into this as a possibility but I am interested in hunting hogs. I figured there may be some trusty folks in here that could help. I did a quick search and it looks like hog season is open all year. I would be purchasing a non resident license. Most importantly before taking care of all the legalities, is there any good public hunting land in that area of Tennessee that would have some hogs. Any info is helpful, thanks.

S Sidwell

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don't forget to bring your hunting dogs, chase and catch dogs.

Steve from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
5:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Screenshot_20210407-085445~2.png Y'all sneak up on em while the dogs hold em stillish and knife stick em or corner them and shoot them?
Pretty common to trawl through the forest with the dogs on the bonnet (hood?) here. Hunters carpet the area for dog grip. Sniff a poaka (pig) and they're off with you parking up and haring off after them through the scrub. Most use GPS collars now.

Last edited:

41FanForLife

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
About ten years ago on motorcycle trip in the Smokies i got a flat 2 boys with a trailer drove up and stopped to help. Had a metal cage/dog box in back of their truck. I don't know what kinda dogs they used but this cage was made from seriously big heavy steel tubes. Looked like it could have held a lion.

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
arent plott hounds the canine of choice?

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m a game warden in east TN. Unless you are on someone’s exemption permit, it isn’t really “year round”. It is incidental to whatever season is open. So this time of year it would be turkey season, you would have to have a non resident big game license and can only use a shotgun with number 4 or smaller. Chances of getting a farmer to let you on their permit is slim to none in that area. If it was deer rifle season, I would say bring it on and have fun. This time of year it isn’t worth it.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Also, I used to kill 200-300/year on a WMA I managed. Let’s just say those things are nasty and I won’t touch one without gloves and eye protection. We have several employees that contracted brucellosis from those nasty ass things!

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
12:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Also, I used to kill 200-300/year on a WMA I managed. Let’s just say those things are nasty and I won’t touch one without gloves and eye protection. We have several employees that contracted brucellosis from those nasty ass things!

What do you do with them when you kill them?

chiselbit

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wondered the same thing. Brucellosis looks like it’s pretty nasty, would the coyotes get it if they feed on the carcasses?

chiselbit

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sounds like they’re toxic.