How to square file

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
4:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
While I never cared for goofy files, I had a look this morning.
The usual suspects no longer list them, and I struck out looking at many sources.
Are they your preference?
No preference, just looking for a place to buy one.

ZERO

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
1:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Use a progressive gauge/guide. The one Husky sells has hard and soft settings. If the hardwood side isn’t aggressive enough, switch over to the soft. It works great for me.

The internet of square filing had me believe that square can get very aggressive very fast. Maybe true when running a 32" bar on a stock 60cc saw. A 3120 or 880 Magnum should have no such problems, especially when ported.

With my mediocre filing, each tooth takes its own length, glad that this method works so that each tooth can take a consistent bite.

Have been using the huskys for years, closest dealer to where I live. Clean out the stamp marks and all is good.

ZERO

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
1:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use PFRED from Bailey's Chainsaw. Buy them by the dozen just to get them a little cheaper.

They work and hold up well for me, but I'm not going to say there are not less expensive alternatives.

@MustangMike should recognize these.

OFF TOPIC: Happy Veterans Day to everyone: Thank you to all that have served! We have them in my family going back to 1914. They did it proudly, they did it humbly, without any recognition. You too have them in your family.

WqYOfP3.jpg

2fZA9tE.jpg

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My Dad was in the reserves when WW II broke out. They reclassified his artillery unit to tank destroyers. He was in battle of the Hedge Rows and Battle of the Bulge. He was one of only two who were in the original unit and still there at the end of the war. He didn't think it was "if" he would get killed, just "when".

Then, after the war, he was not sent home right away because he spoke both German and Italian fluently, so they used him to interview concentration camp survivors and workers who had been imprisoned by the Nazis to make munitions.

Happy Veteran's Day for all those who have sacrificed for us.

I spent yesterday and today at my Upstate Cabin with a good friend of mine (since Boy Scouts) who did 3 tours in Nam, then was spat upon when he returned.

Attachments

• NNJr-FtEthanAllen-Jan1942.pdf
    210.8 KB · Views: 18
  • NNJr-WarPhotos-June1945.pdf
    322.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Stihl036

3% Neanderthal
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Stihl036 they were demoing the new west coast saw progressive gauge…

I know.

But they are saying at the 45 minute mark that as a tooth is filed back that the same depth gauge setting needs to be maintained the same.

Progressive filing says that as the tooth gets shorter, to achieve the same top plate angle of attack cutting in the wood, that the depth gauge needs to be lowered to achieve that same angle of attack.

Yes, the new depth gauge tool does that, but they don't seem to understand it.

It does look like they are doing a fine job of square grinding.

Last edited:

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know Veteran's day has passed, but since I posted something on it in this thread there is more I would like to share.

My Dad did not like to talk about the war, getting things out of him about it was like pulling teeth, but I did get a few gems from him as follows:

1) As a radio man / Tank Destroyer they issued him a 30 cal carbine to use in the open fields in France. I asked what he did with that considering the long-distance shots? He responded: "The first thing you did was exchange the carbine for an M-1 with someone who did not need his any more."

2) Regarding War Heros he said "Most of them are buried under Foreign soil."

3) "Anyone who has served in active combat in any theater deserves more medals than the Gov can ever give them."

4) "The 45 ACP is the best handgun ever developed". I asked Why? "Because you can hit a man in the hand with it, and it will knock him down."

5) What was it like serving under General Patton? "Your blood, his guts."