How to square file

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
6:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just a curious question. What actual good does it do to clean the gullet out well ahead of the cutting edge? I understand "under the tooth" but why would you wanna go all the way forward to the depth gauge

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Seems to me the chips wouldn't back all the way up to the raker. I see the weight issue when looking for pure speed. I don't do square myself. I'd love to see a super slow mo video of a cut that is only taking out a "kerf" width of the outside of a log. So you could see exactly where chips do and don't build up. Food for thought. If any of you fellas ever see a video like that post that sucker up

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In theory after you square file. Could you then hit it with a round file , without hitting your working corner. And undermine it to also speed up the cutter to help the chips get away. Sorta make the hollow grind Obviously you wouldn't wanna mar up the finished edge but if you stayed low it looks to me like you'd end up with a good area for the chips to discharge

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMG_0066.JPG Kinda hard to show in the picture but the working edge of this round job here is way different than the undercut I've made beneath it the working edge is blunt. Sharp but blunt compared to what is done under it. Anyone tried that? I feel it cuts faster considerably. The edge being left blunt also leaves the durability intact. Sorry if I'm off topic this being a round job. It is fairly fast it's just something I don't fool much with. It would cut some extra weight out also if you're counting hens teeth

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I see. There's no more question that is razor sharp there's no need to round it any Didn't actually realize fellas took quite that Angle with square files. Some of the pictures I've seen had way less angle than that. However it looks like you can certainly shave a tooth down to razor blades with a square file. Where I was at in my head is a whole different approach than what I can explain Keeping a durable "point " then beveling it with the round for flow without giving up the durability

concretegrazer

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I see. There's no more question that is razor sharp there's no need to round it any Didn't actually realize fellas took quite that Angle with square files. Some of the pictures I've seen had way less angle than that. However it looks like you can certainly shave a tooth down to razor blades with a square file. Where I was at in my head is a whole different approach than what I can explain Keeping a durable "point " then beveling it with the round for flow without giving up the durability

I c, thought you were talking about the gullet area. Your just tunneling under the top plate.