How to square file

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
7:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMG_0066.JPG I'm pretty sure you can see the different reflection of light in this picture. What I'm suggesting is to square up the corner in my second picture. Then use the round file in a super steep angle to bevel the piss outta the side plate below where the actual cutting will be done. The side plate would still stand tall and straight. Mine has a touch of beak as I'm gonna be needing that with a round tooth. I think I have a fast durable tooth in mind here.

Attachments

• IMG_0065.JPG
    IMG_0065.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 22

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have some chain that I converted towards square on my Simington. I couldn't see wasting a bunch of tooth, so it is almost a hybrid chain. Working corner is square ground, some of the rest of the tooth has remnants of the round grind. It looks wicked. I have not tried it yet. Stuff is just getting thawed out here.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think I'm giving up explaining it. There are two very very separate angles going on on the tooth I've posted. The chain is pretty hot. I'll try it tomarrow and hate it but I'm very confident it's quick for round

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So really your just talking about thining the side plate.
It also thins some of the side but sorta yes. It puts a hollow bevel even into the top but. In theory yes. Would that speed up a square work chain or just no?

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have some chain that I converted towards square on my Simington. I couldn't see wasting a bunch of tooth, so it is almost a hybrid chain. Working corner is square ground, some of the rest of the tooth has remnants of the round grind. It looks wicked. I have not tried it yet. Stuff is just getting thawed out here.
This is what I'm getting at. I wanna know if a " hybrid ". To a poin would actually ba a Dall hair faster

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like a thin low side plate in general. I believe that to make more difference than top plate angle. I know not much on hand file but I've done quite my share of it. I'm asking you fast file fellas if there is a happy medium of fast and durable.

concretegrazer

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think I'm giving up explaining it. There are two very very separate angles going on on the tooth I've posted. The chain is pretty hot. I'll try it tomarrow and hate it but I'm very confident it's quick for round

I think Shawn had a chain like that in the 3/8l.p. race.