How to square file

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
5:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The vallorbe are better than any of the rest over had including old stock Oberg.
Hoe-lee-hum. You are right! I love these files. Best I’ve ever used. Cuts great, nice and smooth, finish is awesome. I hope they’re durable but like I mentioned before, I’m not particularly hard on em. A lot of force isn’t needed to remove material, at least not yet.

320FF03E-FB5B-47BC-8D8B-84130FB1BB1D.jpeg
6BDD696A-2C85-4601-9361-265E17099B6C.jpeg
87CCFD9A-1AFE-4BF9-8BE2-CC29691DCF94.jpeg
B1ABB7F3-9CE6-43FC-95B0-CBFE5E588398.jpeg
6C3F92E7-0F8A-48E0-8F8C-0A34D1669E09.jpeg

This is a long bar chain FYI. 135 drivers so not filing for speed.

Redfin

Meh...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Vallorbe are much narrower and if you’re the type to hold both ends of the file, the tip they have looks good for that. One thing I don’t like is the very narrow tang. They don’t stick in any of my handles. May have to spin up some fresh ones to use.
Shove one in a golf ball.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hoe-lee-hum. You are right! I love these files. Best I’ve ever used. Cuts great, nice and smooth, finish is awesome. I hope they’re durable but like I mentioned before, I’m not particularly hard on em. A lot of force isn’t needed to remove material, at least not yet.

View attachment 226655
View attachment 226656
View attachment 226657
View attachment 226658
View attachment 226659

This is a long bar chain FYI. 135 drivers so not filing for speed.

I wonder if they’re sharpened different than the older ones I have now. I may have to buy a few just to see. I haven’t filed a chain this year yet but I might start soon[emoji2359]

Dolkitafreak

Dolkita686
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wonder if they’re sharpened different than the older ones I have now. I may have to buy a few just to see. I haven’t filed a chain this year yet but I might start soon[emoji2359]
These are unlike any double bevels I've seen. Angles are slightly different than standard double bevels I believe.

@Wolverine, glad you like them, I told you they're the s-word!

Pincher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My stihl file cost $7.99 plus tx and shipping. I could have orderd a dozen from my local dealer at $7.99 ea but wanted to try one first. The file works smoother than the save edge file I found first. Stihl also sells the triangle shaped six sided one as well for the same price.

Is the stihl file equal to the other one quality wise?

Spladle160

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They look like the same steel blank cut differently to me. Could just be variation from run to run but I'm guessing they're actually different. The Stihl marked file has more teeth on the side past the top teeth. Who knows if it's enough difference to notice in use.

N8TE

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My stihl file cost $7.99 plus tx and shipping. I could have orderd a dozen from my local dealer at $7.99 ea but wanted to try one first. The file works smoother than the save edge file I found first. Stihl also sells the triangle shaped six sided one as well for the same price.

Little better price here...

https://www.messicks.com/part/7010 871 0006/file-chisel-bit

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

The guy that posted the pic I shared said it’s the same file as the Vallorbe. Did you post a pic of your $8 Stihl one? If not, can you? I have a Messicks very close and if it’s that file, I’m ordering some. TIA

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is that the one in Elizabethtown?
We have one in Bendersville, just out of Biglerville. They bought out Rice’s which was a looong time Husky dealer. I’ve been in twice and really don’t care for them. 100% firm on retail pricing and don’t stock hardly anything, which I know is the new norm but they wait till they get $80 or so worth of orders before they submit. Got me once, won’t happen again. If they could get these files at that price, I’d wait patiently. $15 per file is just cray cray.

PA Dan

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We have one in Bendersville, just out of Biglerville. They bought out Rice’s which was a looong time Husky dealer. I’ve been in twice and really don’t care for them. 100% firm on retail pricing and don’t stock hardly anything, which I know is the new norm but they wait till they get $80 or so worth of orders before they submit. Got me once, won’t happen again. If they could get these files at that price, I’d wait patiently. $15 per file is just cray cray.
None around me. Im waiting on a price from my dealer.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I ordered a oil worm gear from the Husky dealer near here. Waste of time imo. It's been over a week now. Sad these "dealers" with nothing in stock or in a reasonable time frame.
We have one maybe two good Stihl dealers left. You walk in the door, ask for a part, Russ will grab it, hand it to you and know the price. I hand him money and go about my day. The other dealer now stocks less parts over time. Great business model there.

Sometimes your better off to just order it from HLS or DD and be done with BS!

Thanks for stocking Husky parts Bruce :wave: next time for sure.

My square skills are improving with the use of a large standard rectangle file. I have fifty or more to wear out now.