How are the Asian 660s holding up???

Jason628

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For cylinder screws I use the HD Loctite, and I make them as tight as my T-27 will make them (I torque it a good amount, and go around the pattern several times).

Have never had one come loose, and always have been able to remove the bolts when I need to.

That "hard" Loctite that comes on the bolts does nothing!

When I put a cylinder down, I want it to stay down. Same with muffler bolts.

When I removed the muffler cover bolts on my 462 I could not believe how tough they were to remove. The factory is following my lead! They had real HD stuff on it. I had to work them both ways numerous times to remove them.
Got them as tight as I could with my t27... figured the serrations on the screws would keep them in place. I figured wrong lol.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The serrations can plug up some if they are removed a few times without cleaning. I also make a couple rounds of tightening: snug, then tight, then I give it all I got. You can feel the others are a little looser as others are tightened. I guess too tight could stress them enough to shear the heads off with some added heat expansion of the cylinder base. Probably just a bad batch. It may have been only one screw that was bad allowing the others to fatigue quickly and break.

Jason628

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The serrations can plug up some if they are removed a few times without cleaning. I also make a couple rounds of tightening: snug, then tight, then I give it all I got. You can feel the others are a little looser as others are tightened. I guess too tight could stress them enough to shear the heads off with some added heat expansion of the cylinder base. Probably just a bad batch. It may have been only one screw that was bad allowing the others to fatigue quickly and break.
I'm just going to put some arp head studs on it. Should fix the problem hahaha. No... we got lucky it didn't appear to damage anything else. I'll do OEM screws on the next one with loctite and take a good look at the threads in the case. Do criss cross pattern three times increasing in torque each time.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
8:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Am I the only crazy person to pull the muffler cover and check piston and cylinder after using saw for a few days? I check all my saws regularly. No juice on my muffler bolts.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Am I the only crazy person to pull the muffler cover and check piston and cylinder after using saw for a few days? I check all my saws regularly. No juice on my muffler bolts.
I don't like to put unnecessary wear and tear on my bolt heads and threads. If I've had a saw apart, I just take a close look at the cylinder through the spark plug hole after the first run. If there's scoring in the back, there's likely scoring on the exhaust side visible from the plug hole.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
SO...pulling the muffler cover off isn't a good thing to do? Hard on the saw?

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cool. I'll check them out.

Jason628

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not saw related but, I just picked up a 1990 s10 pickup 4x4 4.3l with a 5spd. Guy I bought it from said it had a rod knock and he was going to fix it but, never got around to it. Comes with all the parts to fix it he says... looking through the box of parts I have one piston, one rod, a pair of bearings and a gasket kit. Engine is a basket case as he took one head off. I'm like wow.... this guy really thought he could fix it just replacing one rod and piston!? I'm going to swap everything over from my old truck that's been crashed one too many times and is an automatic...

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a tiny inspection camera that I think will work well for that sort of thing. Will fit right down the spark plug hole. They're like 10-20 $
Link to the $10-20 camera.

I used a $600 Snap On camera. It looks pretty good on the screen, but still shots are terrible: only 480x640 or around there.

Anyone know how much case compression a 660 needs to run well? I was about to test run a farmertec cylinder I had gotten the transfers too high on and figured it might not be worth running yet until I get them lower. Timing is at 94, 110, 80. Would be a good test for JB Weld in upper transfers. I used some on my FT 250, and the epoxy is still in good shape, but a dark brown now from high heat.

Slumberjack

Team OPE benchwarmer
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I used a $600 Snap On camera. It looks pretty good on the screen, but still shots are terrible: only 480x640 or around there.

Anyone know how much case compression a 660 needs to run well? I was about to test run a farmertec cylinder I had gotten the transfers too high on and figured it might not be worth running yet until I get them lower. Timing is at 94, 110, 80. Would be a good test for JB Weld in upper transfers. I used some on my FT 250, and the epoxy is still in good shape, but a dark brown now from high heat.
Epoxy them down to 123 or so? Unless you’re gonna machine it and epoxy the intake up then raise the exhaust. I’m sure you know better than me I’m just thinking out loud hoping someone won’t jump on me for saying anything. Good luck with it sir

Jason628

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274939001525?hash=item4003a43ab5:g:qGQAAOSwbb1hHaEO

Mine is like this but, didn't come with the wifi thingy. Hooks to my phone and uses an app.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Today was a good time to swap the higher compression cylinder that I'm trying epoxy in. I've been running this mildly ported Farmertec 660 cylinder cutting firewood this year, at least 20-30 tanks through it. I've run it hard, and it never failed. Was still running strong when I took it apart today and I found this:

DSC04645 (1044x1280).jpg

I think it was just a weak spot in the plating because it came with a hole and thin area which I polished up well to not peel more or catch the rings, but it flaked off down lower.

New
DSC03970 (800x705).jpg

DSC04647 (1024x865).jpg

DSC04644 (1024x768).jpg