How are the Asian 660s holding up???

Jason628

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So.... I was just kinda curious what someone would pay for a clone ms660 and so I put an add on craigslist and posted mine for $650. Well a couple days went by and no real hits. Lowered price to $625 and had a few interested people. I got whiddled down to $575 and decided to let it go.... 5 minutes later I ordered another one.

Jason628

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And they knew it was a fake? We have a local farmertec dealer (builder) on the Nashville CL as of recently.
Yeah I wouldn't try to pass it off as a stihl. I'm too honest. I disclosed that it was a clone and made from non stihl parts in my ad. The guy messaged me and asked if it was a farmertec so, he knew about them. I told him if it had any issues to let me know and I'll work with him. I didn't have to offer to do that but, just want to kinda stand behind my build and curious to see if there are any issues down the road. I'm kinda sad I didn't get time to use it but, I'll build a few more and if people are interested I'll keep selling them or give them away as presents or whatever and keep a few.

Last edited:

Jason628

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So.... my saw I sold broke. Snapped off all the cylinder screws. Everything else looks fine.

Attachments

• IMG_3561.jpg
    IMG_3561.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 31

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
TOO MUCH POWAH!

I bet that guy learned his lesson on whether to use farmertec saws.

Now the question is: why did it happen? Screws not tight enough? Did it ingest something hard that got jammed above the piston? Chinese junk? Too many pounds of boost?

I could see someone screwing the bolts in, and forgetting to tighten them after a distraction. I loosened the super tight bolts on my 2188 top cover once, I was happy to get that done since I was breaking t27 bits trying to get them loose. Once loose, I planned to work on it the next day which never happened. Then I went to help a friend cut up a tree, and lost 2 screws. The saw started going lean without the seal for air injection, then I realized why.

Jason628

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
TOO MUCH POWAH!

I bet that guy learned his lesson on whether to use farmertec saws.

Now the question is: why did it happen? Screws not tight enough? Did it ingest something hard that got jammed above the piston? Chinese junk? Too many pounds of boost?

I could see someone screwing the bolts in, and forgetting to tighten them after a distraction. I loosened the super tight bolts on my 2188 top cover once, I was happy to get that done since I was breaking t27 bits trying to get them loose. Once loose, I planned to work on it the next day which never happened. Then I went to help a friend cut up a tree, and lost 2 screws. The saw started going lean without the seal for air injection, then I realized why.
The bolts were definitely tight. I double checked them. I didn't put aditional thread locker on them though. The dudes not upset or anything. Says it ran amazing until it quit. I told him I'd supply the gasket since I have a spare. He took the liberty of taking it apart so it's his baby now. I'll probably use OEM cylinder screws with locktite on the next one. One thing I hated most about working at a shop was when someone brought you something that they took apart and screwed up or lost pieces.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd be concerned about stress on the crank, bearings, and piston from the cylinder coming loose. The piston could have bottomed out on the case, or torqued out of alignment or something. I'd be concerned that it is more likely to fail again somewhere other than the cylinder, but that's just me.

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
7:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The bolts were definitely tight. I double checked them. I didn't put aditional thread locker on them though. The dudes not upset or anything. Says it ran amazing until it quit. I told him I'd supply the gasket since I have a spare. He took the liberty of taking it apart so it's his baby now. I'll probably use OEM cylinder screws with locktite on the next one. One thing I hated most about working at a shop was when someone brought you something that they took apart and screwed up or lost pieces.

The OEM cylinder screws don't actually need Lock-tite. They have cerated edges under the caps and will tighten just fine. If for some reason you do use the Lock-tite I would only use the blue.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
7:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For cylinder screws I use the HD Loctite, and I make them as tight as my T-27 will make them (I torque it a good amount, and go around the pattern several times).

Have never had one come loose, and always have been able to remove the bolts when I need to.

That "hard" Loctite that comes on the bolts does nothing!

When I put a cylinder down, I want it to stay down. Same with muffler bolts.

When I removed the muffler cover bolts on my 462 I could not believe how tough they were to remove. The factory is following my lead! They had real HD stuff on it. I had to work them both ways numerous times to remove them.

Jason628

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think it will be fine with some new screws as long as the dude doesn't fudge it up putting it back together. Next ones getting loctite and torqued to 11ft lbs