davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
7:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Never liked this thing, never started for crap, carb/choke wouldn’t work well. Started blowing smoke and found the cyl damage. Everything else looks ok at a glance.

We bought a predator.

No idea what it’s worth. If it can help someone out, I’d like $200 to box and ship.

IMG_4508.jpegIMG_4509.jpegIMG_4510.jpegIMG_4511.jpegIMG_4512.jpeg

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
7:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Y’all think it might run ok with that cyl honed as much as possible and convert to a std dumb carb?

legdelimber

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't know squat about the engine.
But my first thought is, does it have any of the bits for a mechanical governor?
Any drilled holes for a shaft, internal bosses etc for the governor guts?
Linkages for carburetor controls?
If so, how much does Honda charge for the parts or even offer them?

edit: I forgot to ask if any holes for gov shaft were drilled and plugged (common eng block off of machining line?).
Or does Honda offer any info~blueprints as to machining dimensions or angles or diameters, zero points, etc?

Last edited:

Hondadude

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Interesting, i want it how do i pay? Thanks

SlovenianUsername

OPE Member
Local time
4:54 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello,

I also had to battle this igx440 in the past year. I gave up. There are no spare parts available, no piston kits. Mine doesn't run in cold, it has bad compression. Even in summer it is hard to get it started.

I will probably replace it with igx390, I just need to figure exactly which model i need. My igx440 is marked as QPAA, may I ask which variant do you have?

SlovenianUsername

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank you, didn't know about this site. I previously ordered new coil (honda mechanic though it might be bad) for around 200$, turned out the old coil was good ;)
Anyway, given that I would also have to pay import tax and shipping. And the possibility that engine won't run even with new parts ...

I think I'm better of with igx390.

I'm thinking there must be something wrong with igx440, why did they discontinoued it? If you look at the old news, they came out with this revolutionary engine, with the first model to have self tuning regulator, auto idle, yadayada, a lot of positive talk. That was in 2005. And then 2010 they come out with igx390, and they totaly abandon the 440. Just igx340 and igx390, no more talk about 440.

My biggest concern is, I buy igx390, and the thing won't fit on my spider lift. Or some electrical signal will be missing for it to operate. Ahh, we will see, fortune favors the bold as they say.

Hondadude

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pretty sure igx390 and i gx440 got same shaft size 1 inch, and the engine bolt down pretty much same pattern too
Locking for igx440 for a while now but no luck,

SlovenianUsername

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello again, and sorry for the thread hijack.

I ordered compression tester, got it today, plugged it on. And it showed 100 psi. As far as I know, the number is good enough.

So why is the engine having such a hard time idling. It sounds like it's gasping for air.

What can be done? Can one modify the carburetor? Or can one plug in DR. Honda and somehow influence the electronic governor to run at more rpm?