Hmmm.....no Shindaiwa?

Hoggwood

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Spotted this one for sale. Piqued my interest. Anyone with experience on this one? I've a couple other Shinny saws that are good runners.

Thanks for enabling me.

$_59.jpg $_59 (1).jpg

MACHINE

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Finally got the coil in for the 488 , a very good running saw, hate to sell it but don't need it.
Runs perfectly
0cb34ed5f5e1633f4bf456b554fddc66.jpg
30e21b56da8c2fbdcbb74d924a0ce6e8.jpg
290399dd666f774c13db8a38a8b73972.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

J389

New OPE Member
Local time
12:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Recently picked up a new 389s at a close out sale, doesn't seem to be a very popular model, there's virtually no information on the saw online.
Anyone got one ? does it share parts with any of the other shindaiwa models ?

Alderman

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeps,
Very ugly. But the filtration is amazing!

Sent from my SM-A205YN using Tapatalk

I’ve got two of them with the HD filter. Works well but always open to ridicule when a pic is posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rogee

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello all
New here. Have a shindy 452s and found it to be real reluctant to rev out like other saws . Is this the way it is turned or are they just a slow saw

Gizzard

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello all
New here. Have a shindy 452s and found it to be real reluctant to rev out like other saws . Is this the way it is turned or are they just a slow saw

Shindaiwa had the 446S (approx. 45cc) in US market around 2007 and the 452S (approx. 50cc) in works, but with acquisition of Shindaiwa in 2009 by Echo the 452S didn't come out in US market. The 446S was a good saw, but not rev as high as some others of similar size. Maybe the 452S was similar with being good quality saw, but not highest rpm in its class too. I'm not sure, but maybe the 452S engine is what the recent Echo 500 or 490 went with.

pavel408

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would say that 452s (45,1 cc - /CS-452ESX) is just smaller brother of 502s (50,2 cc - CS-500p/CS-500ES) as they share a lot of parts.

And 502s with some modifications (e.g. chain tensioner) became "farm" 491s (50,2 cc - CS-490/CS-490ES) and "profi" 501sx (50,2 cc - CS-501p/CS-501SX).

Cerberus

Cerberus the aardvark, not the hell-hound!!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Love me some Shindaiwas! The rebranded Echo saws actually look good in Shindaiwa colors, unlike the Jonseredmax saws that stand out like Toyota Camry branding on a Saab 900.
Could you/anybody please elaborate on this? Am (as someone else's sig says, I love & am stealing ;D ) an 'Echo-maniac' and was considering ordering an echo/shindaiwa sticker for my 355t* but if Shindaiwa owns Echo then I'd slap the shindaiwa sticker on instead (yes, corny like putting the acura badge on a riced-out honda, but my 355 is a ricer in some ways lol so it's alright :p )

[edited-in: *= @FergusonTO35 are you meaning you like the neon-orange? Am not a fan myself actually I dislike it, kinda weird because I feel like it's identical to Husq-orange and I like my all-orange Husq unit... Think it's that the echo units just have a "slicker" aesthetic and don't do as well in the utilitarian orange(or whites) of stihl/husq, Shindaiwa's deeper red- at least in pictures- does the designs far more justice!
Easy fix though--- RIT "Dye-More"(the 'for synthetic fibers' version) in Sapphire Blue for $5 is enough to make the neon-orange into a very cool purple/plum color, and if you've "got a hand/feel" for such things you can do fades with dyes that you could never do w/ paints, my 355t is like half purple and looks awesome IMO, if cam was up I'd attach a shot but purple&orange do seem to work well together :D ]

Am always curious on brands in fact will be making a new thread in this sub right-after posting this :) Any&all info on current ownership (ie echo owns shin, or shin owns echo, or metabo owns both/is parent) would be appreciated, will certainly be reading this thread's entirety but was hoping to ask today, also allows me to ask something I already covered in another thread---Anyone have information on echo/shin transitioning to lithium?? Echo already has a "lithium 2511t", and I think the lack of any replacements/updates for the 355t(and its current MSRP) all indicate echo/shin could be setting-up to release the first "big top handle lithium" (everyone's got lil ones for 12" bars, nobody makes a 60-80V machine for 16" bars yet, not top-handled) Am needing to "buy-into" the lithium 'eco-system' of some company so I can get polesaw, blower and 12" top-handle units as my petrol ones go (anything <30cc seems replaceable at this point) but, after a bad initial experience w/ crappy 20V tools-- then falling in-love w/ the Ryobi 20V ecosystem and buying tons of it / still loving it today-- want to find "my ryobi" for real outdoor gear, only problem is everyone's(stihl, husq, echo) pumping 40V units and (IMO) 60V or 80V is what'll be needed / "the set-point"/default for outdoor-tools of this nature, so when I saw Shindaiwa's new(ish?) 60V string-trimmer I got real excited, am guessing echo/shind batteries would interchange and a 60V platform is necessary/requisite for a 30cc-equivalency IMO, pisses me off seeing so much gear made on a 40V platform by husq/stihl/echo I mean that's ryobi/home depot territory(40V blowers..though I will admit I've been impressed with every current-year 40V product I've used, though some 40V's in prior years have flat-out sucked...hell at 20V a ryobi angle-grinder could hardly push a cut-off wheel I had to return that tool, want the 'cushion' of a 60V lineup if possible!)

Last edited:

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Could you/anybody please elaborate on this? Am (as someone else's sig says, I love & am stealing ;D ) an 'Echo-maniac' and was considering ordering an echo/shindaiwa sticker for my 355t* but if Shindaiwa owns Echo then I'd slap the shindaiwa sticker on instead (yes, corny like putting the acura badge on a riced-out honda, but my 355 is a ricer in some ways lol so it's alright :p )

Am always curious on brands in fact will be making a new thread in this sub right-after posting this :) Any&all info on current ownership (ie echo owns shin, or shin owns echo, or metabo owns both/is parent) would be appreciated, will certainly be reading this thread's entirety but was hoping to ask today, also allows me to ask something I already covered in another thread---Anyone have information on echo/shin transitioning to lithium?? Echo already has a "lithium 2511t", and I think the lack of any replacements/updates for the 355t(and its current MSRP) all indicate echo/shin could be setting-up to release the first "big top handle lithium" (everyone's got lil ones for 12" bars, nobody makes a 60-80V machine for 16" bars yet, not top-handled) Am needing to "buy-into" the lithium 'eco-system' of some company so I can get polesaw, blower and 12" top-handle units as my petrol ones go (anything <30cc seems replaceable at this point) but, after a bad initial experience w/ crappy 20V tools-- then falling in-love w/ the Ryobi 20V ecosystem and buying tons of it / still loving it today-- want to find "my ryobi" for real outdoor gear, only problem is everyone's(stihl, husq, echo) pumping 40V units and (IMO) 60V or 80V is what'll be needed / "the set-point"/default for outdoor-tools of this nature, so when I saw Shindaiwa's new(ish?) 60V string-trimmer I got real excited, am guessing echo/shind batteries would interchange and a 60V platform is necessary/requisite for a 30cc-equivalency IMO, pisses me off seeing so much gear made on a 40V platform by husq/stihl/echo I mean that's ryobi/home depot territory(40V blowers..though I will admit I've been impressed with every current-year 40V product I've used, though some 40V's in prior years have flat-out sucked...hell at 20V a ryobi angle-grinder could hardly push a cut-off wheel I had to return that tool, want the 'cushion' of a 60V lineup if possible!)
Voltage doesn't mean as much as power. It's kind of like torque or rpm don't mean much individually, but together you get power. A 60v battery of the same physical size as a 12v battery will get the same amount of run time (watt hours or X power over an hour). Actually a lower voltage battery should run longer and/or weigh less because fewer individual cells are needed, so that reduces the size and weight of cell dividing material. Higher voltage batteries can't put out as many amps as lower voltage batteries because smaller individual cells are used, but the reduction in output amps is more or less cancelled out by the higher voltage. Low voltage systems require physically smaller electronic components to run other than wire gauge to compensate for increased current, so a lower voltage saw might end up smaller and lighter. I'd like to build a 4v chainsaw to out cut a 120v battery chainsaw just to prove the point, but parts rated for such low voltage are not too commonly available, and so not all that affordable or practical to use. Voltage will be the selling point when it comes to electric chainsaws just because it is a number that can get bigger and bigger.

60-80v will probably be the common upper limit for safety reasons.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

[edited-in: *= @FergusonTO35 are you meaning you like the neon-orange? Am not a fan myself actually I dislike it, kinda weird because I feel like it's identical to Husq-orange and I like my all-orange Husq unit... Think it's that the echo units just have a "slicker" aesthetic and don't do as well in the utilitarian orange(or whites) of stihl/husq, Shindaiwa's deeper red- at least in pictures- does the designs far more justice!

Yamabiko owns both Echo and Shindaiwa. As I understand, this is the name that Kioritz Corp. adopted after they purchased Shindaiwa Kogyo Co. Ltd. So, in a sense Echo owns Shindaiwa.

https://www.americancityandcounty.com/2009/04/01/kioritz-shindaiwa-to-merge

Shindaiwa looks like torch red to my eyes, a shade lighter than the fire engine red they used prior to the merger. Echo orange doesn't look neon to me, just plain old orange they've used for decades. Either one looks good to me.:cool:

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Voltage doesn't mean as much as power. It's kind of like torque or rpm don't mean much individually, but together you get power. A 60v battery of the same physical size as a 12v battery will get the same amount of run time (watt hours or X power over an hour). Actually a lower voltage battery should run longer and/or weigh less because fewer individual cells are needed, so that reduces the size and weight of cell dividing material. Higher voltage batteries can't put out as many amps as lower voltage batteries because smaller individual cells are used, but the reduction in output amps is more or less cancelled out by the higher voltage. Low voltage systems require physically smaller electronic components to run other than wire gauge to compensate for increased current, so a lower voltage saw might end up smaller and lighter. I'd like to build a 4v chainsaw to out cut a 120v battery chainsaw just to prove the point, but parts rated for such low voltage are not too commonly available, and so not all that affordable or practical to use. Voltage will be the selling point when it comes to electric chainsaws just because it is a number that can get bigger and bigger.

60-80v will probably be the common upper limit for safety reasons.

I walk by the display of Stihl battery tools at my side job shop all the time and I'm not impressed. They look cheaply made and probably not even up to homeowner use. The MS-170 and $120.00 weedeater on the next rack look like heirloom tools by comparison.