Hmmm.....no Shindaiwa?

Rogee

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Shindaiwa had the 446S (approx. 45cc) in US market around 2007 and the 452S (approx. 50cc) in works, but with acquisition of Shindaiwa in 2009 by Echo the 452S didn't come out in US market. The 446S was a good saw, but not rev as high as some others of similar size. Maybe the 452S was similar with being good quality saw, but not highest rpm in its class too. I'm not sure, but maybe the 452S engine is what the recent Echo 500 or 490 went with.
It did go better with a muffler mod and base gasket delete. Maybe I'm expecting to much from a 45 cc saw.

Cerberus

Cerberus the aardvark, not the hell-hound!!
Local time
3:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Yamabiko owns both Echo and Shindaiwa. As I understand, this is the name that Kioritz Corp. adopted after they purchased Shindaiwa Kogyo Co. Ltd. So, in a sense Echo owns Shindaiwa.

https://www.americancityandcounty.com/2009/04/01/kioritz-shindaiwa-to-merge

Shindaiwa looks like torch red to my eyes, a shade lighter than the fire engine red they used prior to the merger. Echo orange doesn't look neon to me, just plain old orange they've used for decades. Either one looks good to me.:cool:
sweet thanks Re the corp-info --- looks like the comment saying they're part of Husq-group is false, that is reassuring it would've been frustrating to find 'the big 3' (for climb-saws) weren't even 3 entities...to be fair I see clear distinctions among the brands, and it's not hard to spot a poulan-pro that's mostly homeowner-husqy like the pp4218a :)

And the echo neon-orange...either my laptop screen's rendering of orange is wrong or echo's online pics are not as bright-orange (I do farrrr prefer shind.red, wish I'd searched for their 358!) but my 355t has a neon to it that isn't in husq or stihl (actually I have almost-untouched echo & stihl bar-sheaths, will take a side-by-side to show what I mean but there's a distinct 'safety orange' hue in there and it certainly fades quick because none of my used echo gear has it, heck the echo bar-sheath I got w/ my 355t, that has sat indoors, is more neon than the 355t now :p

I walk by the display of Stihl battery tools at my side job shop all the time and I'm not impressed. They look cheaply made and probably not even up to homeowner use. The MS-170 and $120.00 weedeater on the next rack look like heirloom tools by comparison.
Ouch... I can't believe I "fell for it" and bought a 194t, will never purchase stihl again(not new, at least) Will commend the stihl rep for allowing return of un-used product immediately after purchase (this can be tough/impossible w/ stihl, whereas w/ echo they let you get $$ back in-full if it's within 7 days!)

Will say I'm surprised stihl, husq and *some-of* Metabo's new lineups are coming-in at 40V, that is simply too-weak for anything but the most trivial homeowner stuff (unless there have been absurd efficiency gains since my last experiences w/ 40v lith..), 60V (IMO) will be the 30cc and below 'replacement standard' and 80v will be 30cc-->50cc replacements. SUCKS seeing companies 'build ecosystems' around 40V pucks. I will say I'm holding-out-hope that metabo will come in and smash here, if you think about it they haven't released a new high-capacity top-handle in years & have been dumping price on the 355t, they release the 2511 then a lithium-2511 that's supposedly as-good as the petrol **and** now Shindaiwa officially is selling 60V pucks(only for a string-trimmer so far, but obviously it won't stay as a single-product lineup) Am going to be "going lithium" the next time I need a sub-30cc powerhead of any sort and pray to the gods that there's a 60V option (failing terrible reviews, if Stihl were the only viable 60v ecosystem that had blower/top-handle/polesaw, I would probably go with them in such a case....would never try running 2 companies lithium-systems "in tangent" ever again, total PITA, and centering my "pro gear" lithium lineup around 40V pucks, with lith-innovation coming so quickly, seems a horrible choice)

It did go better with a muffler mod and base gasket delete. Maybe I'm expecting to much from a 45 cc saw.
PLZ don't take this as me presuming you haven't but....have you verified:
- tuning is 100.0% solid, plug is clean & appropriately gapped, and air-filter and (if applicable) any muffler/arresters are all full-clear?
- fuel-filter insufficiencies possible?
- bar&chain: verified chain/sprocket moves-like-butter when unit's not chain-brake'd? Verified your bar's rails were clear, that the groove was 100% clean&clear, the nose-sprocket clean&clear and, then, that the chain's rivets, cutter teeth, and depth gauges were all as-expected?

I've got a 42cc poulan pro I run an 18" on, I know I need to get something bigger but it's never failed me...when I got my 36cc Echo 355t I figured "oh this'll smoke my poulan" but it didn't in fact all my powerheads feel "linear/correlated-to-displacement"

How is the air-induction on yours? People always mod their mufflers but not everyone mods their air-intake which, **especially** with an opened muffler, makes a BIG difference on many saws (hell some saws' filters are just sealed in a plastic box, sometimes with *negative* pressure/suction on the box from the pull of the flywheel!)

Rogee

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
sweet thanks Re the corp-info --- looks like the comment saying they're part of Husq-group is false, that is reassuring it would've been frustrating to find 'the big 3' (for climb-saws) weren't even 3 entities...to be fair I see clear distinctions among the brands, and it's not hard to spot a poulan-pro that's mostly homeowner-husqy like the pp4218a :)

And the echo neon-orange...either my laptop screen's rendering of orange is wrong or echo's online pics are not as bright-orange (I do farrrr prefer shind.red, wish I'd searched for their 358!) but my 355t has a neon to it that isn't in husq or stihl (actually I have almost-untouched echo & stihl bar-sheaths, will take a side-by-side to show what I mean but there's a distinct 'safety orange' hue in there and it certainly fades quick because none of my used echo gear has it, heck the echo bar-sheath I got w/ my 355t, that has sat indoors, is more neon than the 355t now :p

Ouch... I can't believe I "fell for it" and bought a 194t, will never purchase stihl again(not new, at least) Will commend the stihl rep for allowing return of un-used product immediately after purchase (this can be tough/impossible w/ stihl, whereas w/ echo they let you get $$ back in-full if it's within 7 days!)

Will say I'm surprised stihl, husq and *some-of* Metabo's new lineups are coming-in at 40V, that is simply too-weak for anything but the most trivial homeowner stuff (unless there have been absurd efficiency gains since my last experiences w/ 40v lith..), 60V (IMO) will be the 30cc and below 'replacement standard' and 80v will be 30cc-->50cc replacements. SUCKS seeing companies 'build ecosystems' around 40V pucks. I will say I'm holding-out-hope that metabo will come in and smash here, if you think about it they haven't released a new high-capacity top-handle in years & have been dumping price on the 355t, they release the 2511 then a lithium-2511 that's supposedly as-good as the petrol **and** now Shindaiwa officially is selling 60V pucks(only for a string-trimmer so far, but obviously it won't stay as a single-product lineup) Am going to be "going lithium" the next time I need a sub-30cc powerhead of any sort and pray to the gods that there's a 60V option (failing terrible reviews, if Stihl were the only viable 60v ecosystem that had blower/top-handle/polesaw, I would probably go with them in such a case....would never try running 2 companies lithium-systems "in tangent" ever again, total PITA, and centering my "pro gear" lithium lineup around 40V pucks, with lith-innovation coming so quickly, seems a horrible choice)

PLZ don't take this as me presuming you haven't but....have you verified:
- tuning is 100.0% solid, plug is clean & appropriately gapped, and air-filter and (if applicable) any muffler/arresters are all full-clear?
- fuel-filter insufficiencies possible?
- bar&chain: verified chain/sprocket moves-like-butter when unit's not chain-brake'd? Verified your bar's rails were clear, that the groove was 100% clean&clear, the nose-sprocket clean&clear and, then, that the chain's rivets, cutter teeth, and depth gauges were all as-expected?

I've got a 42cc poulan pro I run an 18" on, I know I need to get something bigger but it's never failed me...when I got my 36cc Echo 355t I figured "oh this'll smoke my poulan" but it didn't in fact all my powerheads feel "linear/correlated-to-displacement"

How is the air-induction on yours? People always mod their mufflers but not everyone mods their air-intake which, **especially** with an opened muffler, makes a BIG difference on many saws (hell some saws' filters are just sealed in a plastic box, sometimes with *negative* pressure/suction on the box from the pull of the flywheel!)
I did play with the tuning a little to see what difference it made and found a sweet spot . The intake side was always kept clean . Was a very reliable little saw and and wore out a number of chains and the original bar . I've sold it now though .

beowulf67

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like Yamabiko is releasing the CS7310sx in Shindaiwa guise with the 731sx. Will try to get a link.

MACHINE

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Picked up a sweet 488 yesterday,

What tsumura bar 18 inch part number for the 488????

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Mycamaro_68

By guess and by golly
Local time
2:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Picked up a sweet 488 yesterday,

What tsumura bar 18 inch part number for the 488????

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Im not sure if Tsumura makes a direct mount 18". The small Husqy mount can be modified to work. I have a 16" Tsumura Lightweight for my 488. If you are interested in the 16" send me a pm. I had my 488 ported and it really likes a longer bar than 16". It is currently running a 20" .325 with an 8 pin rim.

Absolution

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does this belong here or do I get banned to the echo thread?
IMG_20210330_154346.jpg

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How does one go about tuning a shindaiwa or echo blower? I hate that they have no obvious adjustments.

Absolution

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How does one go about tuning a shindaiwa or echo blower? I hate that they have no obvious adjustments.

Umm, well this one is basically just an echo 490. I just gutted the tamper locks on carb.

I would assume most just have the little red tamper stuff on carbs. Which can be taken out with drywall screws.

Alderman

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Finally got my hands on a 757. Received it today.
View attachment 298337 View attachment 298338

Got a couple of 757s but don’t run them often as there isn’t much big wood available. If nothing else I think they sound great when they are running. I have run a 36” bar with a skip tooth before but it really rips with a 24”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got a couple of 757s but don’t run them often as there isn’t much big wood available. If nothing else I think they sound great when they are running. I have run a 36” bar with a skip tooth before but it really rips with a 24”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great to know! It’ll be a gtg saw for me. Just for fun.

You have a bunch of nice Shindaiwa saws, don’t you?

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Question for the real echo/shin experts. At the time the merger, there were obviously saw designs from the 2 different companies. How much if any of the current shared line up is actually original Shindaiwa designed?

Just like the Huskys and Jonnys, they all look better in red to me. :)